GF3 require chipset fan, or just a good heatsink

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
My parents computer were complaining about their computer being loud, it has a Visiontek Geforce3 and the fan was dying so I took it off and am looking for a new HS/fan.

I've looked into the arctic cooling NV silencers, and the thermaltake heat pipe solutions, but I dont think I really want to go there.
Seems a little much for an old GF3.

I prefer fanless solutions like everyone, is there a good heatsink that would do the job? Preferably that comes with the thermal adhesive, or at least a place that sells the heatsink and adhesive so I dont have to order from 2 places.

Heres a good pic of the card, but now the GF3 chip is revealed on mine with the ram sinks still on.

<A HREF="http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=726" target="_new">http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=726</A>
Also note that the fan connector, if used is 2 pin.
I am not completely against a fan solution if theres a good one out there thats cheap and easy.

I thought about running it with just unpluggin the fan, but decided against that.. I'll get either a bigger heatsink or another fan/HS.

Thanks

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
You got any old heatsinks kicking around? I reckon you could get away with something like an old Aluminium CPU HS, from around the 500-800Mhz days. I epoxied one of those to the northbridge on my old mobo for a good passive cooler. worked very well. Would make the card quite wide though, so you'd lose a couple of PCI slots.

The VGA silencer probably wouldn't be a bad choice really. They're quiet, will be somewhat overkill but at least it'll probably do the job even if it gets clogged with dust, so you shouldn't have any real long-term maintenance problems. They're fairly cheap too, and because they'll use the proper mounting holes you'll be able to remove it should you have any need to, and it comes with thermal compound IIRC. Not the best TIM in the world, but good enough for your needs.

Failing all that, there are a number of fanless solutions available from the likes of Zalman and ThermalTake, or possibly a northbridge cooler kit like <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-202&depa=0" target="_new">this</A> may well be good enough, although some research into how much heat these put off would probably be a good idea :smile:

As for where to get the stuff, newegg.com seems a well-loved site, and they seem to have a few options (as well as selling thermal compounds and the like)

Personally, I'd go with the silencer, as it's pretty cheap, easy to fit, and will definitely be more than adequate.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 02/21/05 12:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
The GF3 silencer seems to not be easy to find anymore. I kinda lean that way with you. I like the NV Silencers.

On heatsinks, I thought about that, but all mine are pretty heavy.

I have a Alpha heatsink from my Athlon 700, its a 60mm HS so it would fit the core decent.. but its pretty heavy.
This is my cooler from the 500-800mhz days.
<A HREF="http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=40223" target="_new">http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=40223</A>

How would one attach that? Thermal adhesive and chicken wire? LOL

Putting that HS on the GF chip it barely fits. I'm not sure if it would fit while plugged in.

Does it have to be a special epoxy? All the shops in town seem to be out of thermal adhesive.. and if something else will work maybe I can pick it up at the hardware store or walmart. :smile:

cleeve

Illustrious
Alot of guys use arctic silver in the middle and dabs of super glue on the chip edges... others use a mixture of the two. It's a cheap solution, and I've used it on motherboard chipsets with older heatsinks, but I've never tried it on a videocard.

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
Thats a good idea. I have a tube of the original AS.. bought when I bought that Alpha heatsink!

I hold onto shat way too long.

I think this heatsink would need superglue anyway, I was worried that thermal adhesive wouldnt be strong enough. Theres no way that this thing could require a fan with that heatsink!! Those Alphas (wonder what happened to them?) were #1. Just seemed to disappear.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Just bear in mind that all that extra weight will put additional stress on the graphics card slot too (unless the HS is actually resting on PCI slots, in which case they should take some of the strain). You may want to come up with some form of additional bracket for extra support.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen