New toolbar at top of desktop

My Computer used to sit as an icon on my desktop. It still does but now in
addition I also have displayed an entire bar very similar to that at the
bottom. This new bar displays drives, folders for My Documents, Etc.. I
have no idea as to what I did to get this extra bar nor how to remove is
since it isn't really necessary. Any ideas?

--
Thanks in advance

Hi The Old Fart,

Try this: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm

--
Ramesh Srinivasan
MS-MVP, Windows Shell

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"The Old Fart" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> My Computer used to sit as an icon on my desktop. It still does but now
> in addition I also have displayed an entire bar very similar to that at
> the bottom. This new bar displays drives, folders for My Documents, Etc..
> I have no idea as to what I did to get this extra bar nor how to remove is
> since it isn't really necessary. Any ideas?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance

I downloaded the tool you suggested but as soon as I clicked to open it I
received the message that my file was already correct. This happens even as
this toolbar sits on top of page.

Is that the Office shortcut bar? A screenshot might help.

If not, scan for malware.
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

--

>I downloaded the tool you suggested but as soon as I clicked to open it I
>received the message that my file was already correct. This happens even
>as this toolbar sits on top of page.

This toolbar is displaying exactly everything you would normally see if you
opened a window after clicking 'My Computer', nothing more nothing less.

> Is that the Office shortcut bar? A screenshot might help.
>
> If not, scan for malware.
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
>
> --
> Ramesh Srinivasan
> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> "The Old Fart" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>I downloaded the tool you suggested but as soon as I clicked to open it I
>>received the message that my file was already correct. This happens even
>>as this toolbar sits on top of page.

Looks like a third-party component to me. I'd investigate the running
processes using Process Explorer (www.sysinternals.com)

--

"ramesh13" wrote:
> Looks like a third-party component to me. I'd investigate the
> running
> processes using Process Explorer (www.sysinternals.com)
>
> --
> Ramesh Srinivasan
> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> "Videot" <notathome@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > This toolbar is displaying exactly everything you would
> normally see if
> > you opened a window after clicking 'My Computer', nothing
> more nothing
> > less.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>  >> Is that the Office shortcut bar? A screenshot might
> help.
>  >>
>  >> If not, scan for malware.
>  >> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
>  >>
>  >> --
>  >> Ramesh Srinivasan
>  >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>  >>
>  >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>  >> http://www.winhelponline.com
>  >>
>  >> "The Old Fart" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote
> in message
>  >> news:ench0JJbFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>   >>>I downloaded the tool you suggested but as soon
> as I clicked to open it I
>   >>>received the message that my file was already
> correct. This happens even
>   >>>as this toolbar sits on top of page.
>   >>>
>  >>

What you have is a normal and common - while largely undocumented -
feature built into Windows XP called "Toolbars". You can create a
Toolbar
from ANY folder, and you can create your own Custom Toolbars.
Toolbars
can be "docked" to ANY of the 4 edges of the screen, or they can
"float"
out in the middle of the screen. There are several other options that
can
be set. I find them INDESPENSIBLE when docked to the Bottom and Left
edges of the desktop and set to "Auto-Hide" -- they really help
remove the
clutter of icons that can accumulate on the desktop. Note: I
personally
have found that a Toolbar at the Top or Right side and set to Auto-
Hide "conflicts" with most programs - like Word or Excel. I will
want to
click on a menu and instead a toolbar will pop up....

Anyway, Here’s how to get rid of yours:

At the VERY left side of the new toolbar, you should see a very light
vertical line "|". Move your mouse directly over the middle of that
line, and
your cursor should turn into a 2-headed horizontal arrow "<--->".
At that
point, RIGHT-click with the mouse. A menu will come up as follows:

View >
Open Folder
Show Text
Show Title
Close Toolbar
-----------------
Toolbars >
-----------------
Always on Top
Auto-Hide

Click on "Close Toolbar" The toolbar will disappear.

Note: I’m not certain how you got the "My Computer"
toolbar at the TOP of the screen to start with - I would
guess somebody "helped" you. It IS possible to accidently
OR intentionally create a "My Computer" Toolbar at the
BOTTOM of the screen simply by dragging "My Computer"
onto a blank area of the Taskbar at the BOTTOM of the
screen. At that point, the new Toolbar can be MOVED
to the Top of the screen by placing the mouse over the
aforementioned light vertical line, and then Dragging the
toolbar - by holding down the Left mouse button while
moving the mouse to the very top of the screen. I know
these instructions are very basic, but I’m sure other
people of varying skill-levels will likely benefit. -dp.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-toolbar-top-desktop-ftopict543547.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1741531