New 'Red Blur' previewed at DH! 40k 2k1, STOCK.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Aight, Zardon over at DH has a new, blurred out, card on the bench that is scoring 40k in 2k1 at stock clocks (well, aircooling at least). This is done with a slow-arse P4 system with asynced DDR2...so it's definitely CPU bottlenecked and yet STILL scores close to the WR (43k or so) on AIRCOOLING. This is a single card, mind you, not even AMR'd yet (if that'll even do anything for 2k1, we'll see). Anyway, here's the <A HREF="http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=68684" target="_new">clicky</A>!

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

cleeve

Illustrious
Hello R5xx!

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Anyway, I have more details....it seems the card is STOCK right now with only a 3.73EE clocked at 4.3+GHz on XP is how he is getting this score--truly incredible considering OPPAINTER's record is on an FX clocked nearly as fast, better memory, win 2k with various tweaks, and twin triple-stage phase-change cooling. Not to mention the incredible voltage and short-term usability involved....

DeathClock

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
My F*cking god... when will ATi/Nv announce/release this monster?

<A HREF="http://www.forsaken-game.com/" target="_new">Half-Life2:Forsaken</A>

I think it's just a Rage Fury MAXX with drivers that FINALLY work! :lol:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
lol. Nice one, Grape.

Yeah, ATI has had a dedicated team working since 1998 to bring us the Rage Fury MAXX drivers.

The downside: the uberdrivers only work in Windows 95/98. :(

Here's a hint fellas; all of Nvidia's reference cards are GREEN.
Anybody want to guess who makes red reference cards?

That's all well and good, I never liked the overhead of Win2K and XP, but would you mind telling me exactly what the heck I'm supposed to do with this other 512mb stick of RAM? :eek:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
XGI maybe?

Actually, considering how much Zardon, The Neon Cowboy, et al, are in cahoots with ATi, it really is them. Anyway, should be interesting to see how these stack up and when they should come to market.

After all, X800s are just coming to the AGP market and X850s are coming to the PCIe market--do they REALLY need the X900 now (they already have a near-monopoly on PCIe, spare the lucky PCs with SLI)? I'm very welcoming to the performance, but jeeze, let the market and your fabs catch up for a bit!

DeathClock

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
Yea thats why I was thinking, why can't it be a Nv card? The photo shows something red, but that could very well be the light on it, or red from the wires in front of it. Im still keeping both options open, because ATi doesn't really need a new card as you said (X850 is just released etc) but Nv could use a little push, right?

<A HREF="http://www.forsaken-game.com/" target="_new">Half-Life2:Forsaken</A>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Rest assured, the card IS an ATi (DH is not on the best terms with nV yet on truly AMAZING terms with ATi...that and they've been chattering up a new ATi card recently). Why ATi would do this to themselves is beyond me, however (unless they're losing money on the X800s).

Now there's 2 things that should play a factor but probably won't (because ATI is going to find a way to FuQ it up I'm sure!).

The 90nm process should allow them to (een with the increase in transistors) get more chips per wafer, this will hopefully in turn allow them to produce enough to at least meet XT demand (but they'll probably $crew it up and just have XTPE-EE and Pro models). One of the problems with launching even the rumours and expected launch date so close to finally getting product to market, there will be people out there who've waited since their R9700P / R9800Pro to get and upgrade and they'll think, what's another few months, this will add to those who were planning to upgrade from their R9500P board and finally saved enough, and also those who already tire of their X800Pro, X600XT, Xetc. Also it'll be whomever skipped over this generation waiting for the mytical SM3.0, etc who for wahetever reason felt they couldn't go with nV.

All in all, I think that they should push hard towards the next gen but only if they can produce enough cards. I'd say it wasn't worth rushing, but obviously even going slow wasn't going to get them more cards since their volume problems are only now SLIGHTLY being eased by NEW cards, not old ones. :eek: