TECH: Stargate 1-3-1 RAM Error/Power Issues

I was able to successfully power up my Stargate, but I get 1-3-1 RAM errors
on the LED on the ROM Board.

I checked voltage going to 1J1 (Power Input) on the CPU/Video Board and
everything seems good with the exception of the +5V which I get a reading of
4.79V.

I checked the voltage coming from my switching power supply and I get
12.06V, -5.22V, and 5.01V

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Also, can the -5.22V being that high hurt anything?

--
- Mike

***Looking for a 1978 Atari Superman playfield.. ***

Got one, drop me an email...

http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/

haa I just ran into that problem last night, 4.80 volts game would run or
reset and then give 131 code. Old power supply had to go, so put in
switcher, 5.15 at switcher, but check volts at cpu board, was at 4.99 so
monitor at cpu board and turn up the voltage till it reads like 5.15, sure
it will read higher at the switcher itself but not at the cpu board where
the load is. Runnng great now and warping till it gets to hard. Remember
to check all header pins and reflow solder if it has not been done yet.

Trin
"Michael Roman" <michael.pacifico@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I was able to successfully power up my Stargate, but I get 1-3-1 RAM errors
>on the LED on the ROM Board.
>
> I checked voltage going to 1J1 (Power Input) on the CPU/Video Board and
> everything seems good with the exception of the +5V which I get a reading
> of 4.79V.
>
> I checked the voltage coming from my switching power supply and I get
> 12.06V, -5.22V, and 5.01V
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to remedy this?
>
> Also, can the -5.22V being that high hurt anything?
>

> --
> - Mike
>

> ***Looking for a 1978 Atari Superman playfield.. ***
>
> Got one, drop me an email...
>

> http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/

> I checked voltage going to 1J1 (Power Input) on the CPU/Video Board and
> everything seems good with the exception of the +5V which I get a reading
> of 4.79V.

4.79 is too low for Wms boards, in my experience. They're fairly picky
about that voltage in particular, it has to be as close to +5.00 as you can
get it. The other two voltages don't need to be as spot-on.

> I checked the voltage coming from my switching power supply and I get
> 12.06V, -5.22V, and 5.01V
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Since you're using a switcher you should be able to turn the knob on it to
nudge the voltage up until it's +5.00 at the CPU board. It will raise the
other two voltages a bit, but that shouldn't be a problem. At +4.79 you
shouldn't have to nudge it up much.

--
Adam
www.adamsarcade.com

I upped the voltage to +5.15V at the CPU board. Still getting 1-3-1 RAM
errors.

I checked Pin 9 on the RAM chips and they are getting around +5.00V to
+5.03V.

Also, the 12V and -5V jumped to 13V and -5.75V respectively. Is that too
much?

I even swapped around some of the 4116 RAM chips to see if the first RAM to
get checked was the problem, but it seems that whichever one I put I still
get 1-3-1.

Trinity, as for the reflowing of the solder... are you talking about the
solder for the RAM sockets or the ISO??? My soldering skills leave something
to be desired. I think I would be able to handle the ISO, but something as
precise as the sockets on the CPU board, I'd do more harm than good....

Any other suggestions???

"Trinity" <nospam@nospam.COM> wrote in message
> haa I just ran into that problem last night, 4.80 volts game would run or
> reset and then give 131 code. Old power supply had to go, so put in
> switcher, 5.15 at switcher, but check volts at cpu board, was at 4.99 so
> monitor at cpu board and turn up the voltage till it reads like 5.15, sure
> it will read higher at the switcher itself but not at the cpu board where
> the load is. Runnng great now and warping till it gets to hard. Remember
> to check all header pins and reflow solder if it has not been done yet.
>
> Trin
> "Michael Roman" <michael.pacifico@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I was able to successfully power up my Stargate, but I get 1-3-1 RAM
>>errors on the LED on the ROM Board.
>>
>> I checked voltage going to 1J1 (Power Input) on the CPU/Video Board and
>> everything seems good with the exception of the +5V which I get a reading
>> of 4.79V.
>>
>> I checked the voltage coming from my switching power supply and I get
>> 12.06V, -5.22V, and 5.01V
>>
>> Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to remedy this?
>>
>> Also, can the -5.22V being that high hurt anything?
>>

>> --
>> - Mike
>>

>> ***Looking for a 1978 Atari Superman playfield.. ***
>>
>> Got one, drop me an email...
>>

>> http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/

Definitely check the voltages somewhere on the board, not at the pwr
supply terminals. If the connectors at the pcb are the original IDC
type it never hurts to punch them down again to insure a good
connection between the wire and IDC. Other options are soldering the
wires to the connector or just using fresh connectors/pins.

My Robotron boards required the Decoder ROMs be reseated before the 1-3-1
errors would clear - I had good voltages, replaced all of the RAM and was
still getting the dreaded 1-3-1. Reseated the Decoders and viola!

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

"boardjunkie" <boardjunkie@techie.com> wrote in message
> Definitely check the voltages somewhere on the board, not at the pwr
> supply terminals. If the connectors at the pcb are the original IDC
> type it never hurts to punch them down again to insure a good
> connection between the wire and IDC. Other options are soldering the
> wires to the connector or just using fresh connectors/pins.

> Also, the 12V and -5V jumped to 13V and -5.75V respectively. Is that too
> much?

I doubt that's will cause any problems. The +5 is the sensitive one.

> I even swapped around some of the 4116 RAM chips to see if the first RAM
> to get checked was the problem, but it seems that whichever one I put I
> still get 1-3-1.

1-3-1 is a sort of catch-all error code. Swapping the RAM chips was a good
idea, it's not likely to be a RAM problem now. It's still possible the
socket at location 3-1 is bad and needs resoldering, though.

Next, I'd check the voltages on each of the power connectors on every board.
Not at where the wire meets the plug, either, check on a trace on the board
itself just past the plug. Those connectors are notorious for getting cold
solder joints. If any seem remotely low, resolder the connector pins on the
backside of the board. The connectors themselves could also be
corroded/bad. Bob Roberts sells replacement connector kits.

Here's some links to other 1-3-1 advice posts I've found useful in the past.
http://tinyurl.com/c8qkq
http://tinyurl.com/7gw5x
http://tinyurl.com/7vzjh
http://tinyurl.com/ak6yn

--
Adam
www.adamsarcade.com

Andre

just one more help full hint, hope it helps:
http://www.arcadesolution.com/ram1.html

"Michael Roman" <michael.pacifico@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I was able to successfully power up my Stargate, but I get 1-3-1 RAM errors
>on the LED on the ROM Board.
>
> I checked voltage going to 1J1 (Power Input) on the CPU/Video Board and
> everything seems good with the exception of the +5V which I get a reading
> of 4.79V.
>
> I checked the voltage coming from my switching power supply and I get
> 12.06V, -5.22V, and 5.01V
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to remedy this?
>
> Also, can the -5.22V being that high hurt anything?
>

> --
> - Mike
>

> ***Looking for a 1978 Atari Superman playfield.. ***
>
> Got one, drop me an email...
>

> http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/

Check for burnt connectors, corroded pins. Remove the boards and reflow the
solder on the back of the pins as I bet there are cold solder joints. I've
never had a 1-3-1 that was actually a ram error. It was always PS
related/connector related..etc.

Thanks for the info everyone...