Are USA Graphics cards UK compatable?

UK_GrimNir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2005
Ok I'm a newbie, and I looked through 12 pages and couldn't see this, so if this is already answered some where I appologise.

My question is simply this.... I am aware that USA uses different type of power supply to UK. (Yep sorry I'm from good old blighty) I "think" the PSU for both countries differ, but "believe" that it converts to same before transfering power to motherboard. If so I believe computer parts purchased in USA should be usable in the UK.

However a friend of mine claimed that this is not so and that I would be unable to use a graphics card purchased in USA on my UK motherboard and system.

The reason I ask is I'm visiting my sister in USA this year and noticed that the top of the range graphics cards are upto half the UK retail prices in your fair country. I had hoped to purchase one before I return home and save myself in excess of £100 (roughly $200), but this would be pointless if I couldn't use it when I got home.

I hope someone can help me with this. I've been scouring the internet, I'm sure the answers out there, (x-files flash back sorry) but I'm obviously too thick to ask the right question, as hours of frustration later I'm still none the wiser.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
hay hay fellow uker.

your mates chatting crap.

you can buy a grfix card from anywhere in the world and it will work in your motherboard as long as you got the correct slot type, there is AGP and PCIE. check you Motherboard for what slot it has, and buy that slot type grafx card.

the PSU thing usa and uk, on the back of most psu there is a slide switch which says 110volt or 220/240 volt this makes pc compatilbe to world power supplys.

all psu`s give the same standard power to all motherboards there is no compatiblity issues to worry about buddy.

Enjoy your trip to the usa, bring back a couple of kicker solerbaric L7 15inch subs and 2 1200 watt rms kicker amps for me thx.

exchange rate is awsome.

pauldh

Illustrious
Wouldn't the only difference be with TV outputs? NTSC vs. PAL? Can a NTSC card bought over here work outputing to your TV's? I'm not sure, but i'd say no. Otherwise, it should work fine using VGA or DVI out.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
That's the one potential incompatibity I've thought of too.

Some TVs (newish ones obviously) over here can cope with NTSC though, so even then he might be ok.

Even many of the PSUs are the same - they just have a little switch on the back for switching between 230V AC and the US 110V (DC, IIRC?), Which - incidentally - it's extremely unwise to have set incorrectly :eek:

Oh yeah - good plan, if you happen to be going over there now, the exchange rate <i>is</i> awesome! :smile:

I'd be buying all sorts of crap if I were going over at the mo.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 02/22/05 03:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Many cards have the ability to switch from PAL to NTSC, almost all of them are made with both supported in their chips, and the subsequent board fabrication process and then they are simply set to default to which one is common for the area they're sold in. Some are BIOS settings some are dip switches. <A HREF="http://img97.exs.cx/img97/1377/ntscpal2pv.jpg" target="_new">Here's the section</A> from ATI's <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/support/manualpdf/X800agp.pdf" target="_new">X800 AGP User Guide</A> that deals with changing the setting using Dip switches.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
excelent post, your drivers have a setting to output ntsc or pal, look in your driver settings, there is no compatibility issues at all.

cleeve

Illustrious
You'd probably even be able to get the TV outputs to work with a proper video card BIOS flash for your region.

I know you can do it with Radeons...

pauldh

Illustrious
Hey thanks, good info to know.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

Yeah many are, I just put up the easiest example to find that might be most relevant to a newer card.

The funny thing is some R9600s are dip switches some are software switched. I've given up on figuring these things out, better to just say check for both with the model you're looking for. :smile:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

UK_GrimNir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2005
Thankyou I appreciate the help,

Think I'll get a GE Force 6800 (preferably ULTRA) thats if I don't blow it on booze before I go. (a definate problem that)

last time I did a major overhaul on my PC for gaming I then didn't play a game for about 2 years, (was having a crap life at the time) now i want to get back into it.

Gigabyte GA-7N400PRO2 nForce 2 8xAGP Ultra400 400 FSB DDR400 (takes APG/PCI according to manual)
Athlon XP 3200+
3 x Crucial 512Mb PC3200 400FSB
1 x Seagate baracuda 80GB 7200rpm 8mb cache
2 x Seagate baracuda 200GB 7200rpm 8mb cache
1 x Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 7200rpm 8mb Cache
Ge Force Ti 4200 graphics card.
Sony DWD22A 16x Dual Layer DVD R/RW (my second first failed after 7 months)

(I had a top end Ge Force Ti 4800 within weeks of them first coming out, upgraded my motherboard to Asus A7N8X-X SKT A Nforce2, the board blew and took out my graphics card. The Ti 4200 was all I could afford to replace it with at the time as ebuyer refused to replace it even though the mother board was proven faulty that caused it) I then had 5 faulty Asus boards in a row, the last being returned to manufacturer when ebuyer had given up and even they confirmed it was faulty.)

They hung in the air exactly the same way bricks don't.

No problemo, good lucj with your searches, but as for the booze you'd probably be better off coming up to Canada, unless you like water! :evil:

I love Gigabyte MoBos, the only concern I had with one and it was replaced same day from retailer thanks to a letter from Gigabyte. I'm not so interested in the ASUS boards.

I'd recommend you look at the GF6800GT and X800XT for best value. Likely the GF6800GT will be the best value based on what's out there. However having said that keep an eye out for good deals, some guys have gotten cheap GF6800Us recently.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
just outta curiousity, since when does a crt or tft worry about ntsc/pal, its uses standardised resolutions ???

unless u are gonna connect to a tv it should be irrelevent...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Get GeForce 6800GT instead of Ultra, it will give you almost equal performance for much less money.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
It doesn't care. We were talking about the TV-Out that many cards have. :wink:

VGA is VGA and DVI is DVI so those were always gonna work.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

Actually in Australia I think there's a slight difference in DVI, don't the electrons spin the other way or something? :evil:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
:lol:

---
A64 3200+ Winchester @ 258x10=2580Mhz, ~1.52 Vcore
512Mb Corsair XMS4000 @ ~215Mhz (5:6) (yeah, I know :frown: )
Voltmodded Sapphire 9800Pro @ 450/350 w/ modded VGA silencer 3.

TRENDING THREADS