Internet Connection Issue

June 8, 2005 12:33:50 PM

Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me. I have windowsxp and I have
service pak 2. About 2 weeks ago I started having a problem out of the blue.
When I click on a icon on my desktop to go to the internet it takes about 2
to 5 minutes for the site to pull up. Sometimes it just times out and I get
hung up and have to reboot and try again. This means all sites not just a
particular one. This occurs on my laptop computer. I have a backup computer
(both connected via a linksys router) and the backup is fine. I can go as
normal to the internet on the backup. Could this be a problem with an
update? I have automatic turned on. I have I.E.6. Can someone point me in
the right direction to get this fixed?

Deb
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:19:26 PM

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 08:33:50 -0500, "DEB" <doedoe7@comcast.net> wrote:

>Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me. I have windowsxp and I have
>service pak 2. About 2 weeks ago I started having a problem out of the blue.
>When I click on a icon on my desktop to go to the internet it takes about 2
>to 5 minutes for the site to pull up. Sometimes it just times out and I get
>hung up and have to reboot and try again. This means all sites not just a
>particular one. This occurs on my laptop computer. I have a backup computer
>(both connected via a linksys router) and the backup is fine. I can go as
>normal to the internet on the backup. Could this be a problem with an
>update? I have automatic turned on. I have I.E.6. Can someone point me in
>the right direction to get this fixed?
>
>Deb

Probably spyware and/or a virus and/or a trojan and/or a worm and/or
malware, etc. Make sure your anti-virus is updated and run a full system
scan. If you don't already have Ad-Aware Personal and Spybot Search &
Destroy (free), get them both and run them both. Try on-line scanners
like Panda Active-Scan and/or AVG Housecall (both free). Download
Firefox from Mozilla and use it instead of I.E.6. Good luck....

Jack C.

Very funny Scottie..... NOW BEAM DOWN MY CLOTHES!
June 8, 2005 6:27:57 PM

Thanks I will check it out. Thank you for responding.

Deb

"Jack C." <daffy@duck.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 08:33:50 -0500, "DEB" <doedoe7@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me. I have windowsxp and I have
>>service pak 2. About 2 weeks ago I started having a problem out of the
>>blue.
>>When I click on a icon on my desktop to go to the internet it takes about
>>2
>>to 5 minutes for the site to pull up. Sometimes it just times out and I
>>get
>>hung up and have to reboot and try again. This means all sites not just a
>>particular one. This occurs on my laptop computer. I have a backup
>>computer
>>(both connected via a linksys router) and the backup is fine. I can go as
>>normal to the internet on the backup. Could this be a problem with an
>>update? I have automatic turned on. I have I.E.6. Can someone point me in
>>the right direction to get this fixed?
>>
>>Deb
>
> Probably spyware and/or a virus and/or a trojan and/or a worm and/or
> malware, etc. Make sure your anti-virus is updated and run a full system
> scan. If you don't already have Ad-Aware Personal and Spybot Search &
> Destroy (free), get them both and run them both. Try on-line scanners
> like Panda Active-Scan and/or AVG Housecall (both free). Download
> Firefox from Mozilla and use it instead of I.E.6. Good luck....
>
> Jack C.
>

> Very funny Scottie..... NOW BEAM DOWN MY CLOTHES!
Related resources
June 10, 2005 1:55:45 AM

Jack,

I have tried everything I know how to try but I have been unable to fix the
problem.

I used Adaware to remove spyware.

I ran a virus check using the latest Norton updates from both my hard drive
and from the Norton site.

I did a defrag.

Did a windows update.

Cleaned temporary Internet files.

Ran Norton Utilities.

Still when I click on an icon on my desktop to go to the Internet it takes
the site (any site) 2 to 3 minutes before it pulls up.

Any additional feedback you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

--
Thank you,

Deb

"Jack C." <daffy@duck.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 08:33:50 -0500, "DEB" <doedoe7@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me. I have windowsxp and I have
>>service pak 2. About 2 weeks ago I started having a problem out of the
>>blue.
>>When I click on a icon on my desktop to go to the internet it takes about
>>2
>>to 5 minutes for the site to pull up. Sometimes it just times out and I
>>get
>>hung up and have to reboot and try again. This means all sites not just a
>>particular one. This occurs on my laptop computer. I have a backup
>>computer
>>(both connected via a linksys router) and the backup is fine. I can go as
>>normal to the internet on the backup. Could this be a problem with an
>>update? I have automatic turned on. I have I.E.6. Can someone point me in
>>the right direction to get this fixed?
>>
>>Deb
>
> Probably spyware and/or a virus and/or a trojan and/or a worm and/or
> malware, etc. Make sure your anti-virus is updated and run a full system
> scan. If you don't already have Ad-Aware Personal and Spybot Search &
> Destroy (free), get them both and run them both. Try on-line scanners
> like Panda Active-Scan and/or AVG Housecall (both free). Download
> Firefox from Mozilla and use it instead of I.E.6. Good luck....
>
> Jack C.
>

> Very funny Scottie..... NOW BEAM DOWN MY CLOTHES!
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 4:23:15 PM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 21:55:45 -0500, "DEB" <doedoe7@comcast.net> wrote:

>Jack,
>

>I have tried everything I know how to try but I have been unable to fix the
>problem.
>
>I used Adaware to remove spyware.
>
>I ran a virus check using the latest Norton updates from both my hard drive
>and from the Norton site.
>
>I did a defrag.
>
>Did a windows update.
>
>Cleaned temporary Internet files.
>
>Ran Norton Utilities.
>

>Still when I click on an icon on my desktop to go to the Internet it takes
>the site (any site) 2 to 3 minutes before it pulls up.
>

>Any additional feedback you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

Norton won't find everything. Try: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

BTW, what if you click on a link in your news-reader. Does it take just
as long to respond?

Have you tried looking at your system Event Viewer? It may tell you
something about your problem. Go to Control Panel, click 'Performance
and Maintenance' then click 'Administrative Tools' then double-click
'Event Viewer". Pay attention mainly to the 'System' logs and see if you
have a large number of errors listed there. If so, you can find
information about the errors by right-clicking each one and then
clicking 'Properties'.

One more thing. There are some nice tools and tests at:
http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Other than that I'm stumped. Anyone else have any ideas? Good luck.

Jack C.
June 15, 2005 12:55:53 PM

I have done everything, do you think it would be worth uninstalling service
pack 2 and reinstalling? Is their a windows repair tool I can use just in
case that is the problem?

!