Problems? XFX 6600 GT AGP

Marc_Casey

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2005
I have installed, and benchmarked the XFX PVT43AND GEFORCE 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 AGP8X W/ DUAL DVI & TV-OUT. (ref url: http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?id=1125&catID=138)

The card is functional but I do seem to be having performance related issues. I feel that the card is stessing to handle what it should be able to.

My system specs are as follows:
550 w psu (vga card calls for 450w)
AMD 64 3200+ (2.2 ghz)
Chaintech motherboard (with AGP v3.0, Fast Write enabled, 8x enabled)
Drivers: Had official Nvidia drivers installed, but had better results with the latest Official Nvidia Beta Drivers
OS: Windows XP Pro x32; Have tried Windows XP 64 RC2 Beta with similar results
nothing is or has been overclocked (powerful enough system in the first place)

The obvious:
1. My score from 3D Mark was 3404 :( ouchy
2. My GeForce FX5200 performed better on this system (now thats bad) lol
3. The diagnostic applications displayed that I do still have the memory clocks, and memory that the retail stock card should have
4. I have searched the XFX site but it seems to be that this is an extremely nice quality card and I have not found anyone to have complications with it.

The other symptoms:
1. lag in offline games (offline) at a knowticable rate
2. Doom 3 has lines (like glitches rather than lines) on the screen randomly and often. The settings are low compared to what the card should be able to handle. Settings: 1024 resolution; Trilinear; AA off; Vertical Sync off
3. Also experienced similar results in Half-Life 2 with similar settings
4. Within Windows XP: system stutters (small quick lags) when opening windows (mostly)
5. Note: My other card (the GeForce FX5200) does not seem to have so many issues with my current setup as does the 6600 gt

My Questions:
1. The card is functional but is there a possibility that I could have recieved a card with a weak chipset?
2. Is there a possibility that the VGA BIOS feels allergic to my current hardware setup? If so where can I obtain a more recent BIOS for this model?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Be Well, Marc Casey (marc.casey@gmail.com)

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
i have the PCIe version of this card on an A8N MOBO with the athlon 64 3500+ and have experience something similar. mark05 results didn't even break 3000!! bloody depressing!

also the card is running at 48C at idle and up to 76C loaded!! got on to XFX to no avail. swapped a couple of case fans around to get more air on the card and now she runs loaded at a max of 70C but that's still about 15C above what i'm willing to accept.

i've the zalmann 700 Cu heatsink in the post to me to see if that helps.

XFX have been a big let down with this card judging by me not being the only one experiencing the slow performance problem. AVOID!!

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
ps: i went looking for updates for the card, there aren't any newer than the ones mine was shipped with (DOM: 8/Feb/05).

i've had no hassle running windows but X2 has lots trouble with 1028/bump mapping/AAF/shadows (AVG FPS approx 25, occasional stutters), at 1028/BM/AAF it's just about acceptable (AVG FPS approx 30, less frequent stutters) but it really should be able to run this game at these settings in it's sleep!!

Marc_Casey

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2005
Thanks for the info; I feel better that am not the only one with related problems.

Another thought:

Could it all be because of the RAM settings in the BIOS? I have 400 mhz RAM (PC3200)

cleeve

Illustrious
1. My score from 3D Mark was 3404 :( ouchy
Which 3dmark? 01SE? 03? 05?

if it's 3dMark05, that's not bad at all. About average for a stock 6600GT, from what I've seen.

If it's 3dMark03, it sucks...

cleeve

Illustrious
Well, then it's doing a great job in 3dMark, at least.

I think my 9700 PRO gets 2200 or therabouts...

Spether

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
I have this same card. It idles at 50C and pushes 70C under full load. Performance has been great -- 3500 in 3DMark05 and runs D3 at 45 fps in 1600x1200 (no AA).

I haven't experienced any of the Windows problems you have. My main complaint is with the fan, which is a tad loud and whiny. I wish Arctic Cooling would make a Silencer for this chipset.

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
sounds familiar, fan on mine is easily heard above the 6 other case fans!! it's nuts!

if 3000 is a good score in 3Dmark05, then maybe i was just expecting a little much... hmmmm.... <ponders momentarily> ...no still not happy. new heatsink en-route and OC'ing shall be attempted, if it blows, it blows!!

mark, i'm running 2x 1GB @ 400MHZ, hadn't considered it might cause any problems but a recent nvidia benchmark does show that it's slightly more latent than could be desired alright. (kingston valueRAM CL2.5)
know your limits, and never stop trying to exceed them!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TAZ on 02/24/05 05:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
MMMURAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAaaaaa....

it's arrived!! literally just got my GPU heatsink, it's a monster, ram sinks included and all. i'll fit it this evening and let ye know how it works tomorrow.

just for the record GC currently runs at 48C idle and 76C loaded. time to sort that out. WOOHOO!!

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
cleeve when you say "stock" 6600GT, any idea on the overclocking potential? or to be less taxing on yourself, seen any forum threads on the subject?

thanks

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
the results are in, and they are good.

Card:
XFX GeForce 66000GT (not extreme gamer ed)

Mods:
-replaced stock POS ("Piece Of Sh*t" for anyone who doesn't know) cooler with Zalman VF700Cu. (€58 overclockers.co.uk)
-overclocked using rivatuner

note: when i removed the stock heatsink, judging by the thermal paste on the base it seemed to have been slapped on and twisted approx 60degrees about the corner of the chip, there was thermal grease smeared all over the base of the cooler. not cool XFX!! (no pun intended...)

anywhoo...

_________previously:________now:________diff(%):
GPU:______500MHz_________601MHz______+20.0
GM:______1000MHz________1303MHz_____+30.3
Idle:______48C____________39C_________-18.75
Load:_____76C____________54C_________-29.0
Mark03:___8082___________9766________+20.83
Mark05:___2882___________4382________+52.05

not bad methinks, card is now faster, cooler *and* quieter (believe it or not).

at this level i got 0 artifacts and 0 snow, the only reason i didn't try going higher is that rivatuner started telling me that "the currently installed driver" wouldn't support it for some reason or another. i have no idea what this means, anyone care to enlighten me?

more to the point, i had never expected to be able to push the card to this extent, can anyone tell me if this is normal or a tad freaky?

all in all, XFX have regained some of their former status in my estimation, but the list i posted before still stands.
as for the Zalman VF700Cu: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: ('nuf said!)