WGT624 Rebooting

I've had this beast for around a week or so now, pretty much
got it sorted now, but it has one annoying "feature" I don't
like, it randomly reboots, for no apparent reason.
Sometimes it'll go for hours, almost days, then it'll
reboot.
It's running firmware v4.04, anyone else come across this
problem?.

P.
6 answers Last reply
More about wgt624 rebooting

    PJB - I have also been experiencing this problem so you're not alone.
    I had netgear replace my original unit under an RMA hoping it was a
    h/w fault but it still continues to happen with the new unit.

    If you know of others that have this problem then let me know and we
    can start to beat up netgear over it.

    Cheers

    BCE

    "BCE" <google@stephens-ely.co.uk> wrote in message
    > PJB - I have also been experiencing this problem so you're
    not alone.
    > I had netgear replace my original unit under an RMA hoping
    it was a
    > h/w fault but it still continues to happen with the new
    unit.

    > If you know of others that have this problem then let me
    know and we
    > can start to beat up netgear over it.

    Check out Google, there's LOADSA folk having problems with
    the 624. I've consigned mine to acting purely as an Access
    Point, ie no WAN connection, and it hasn't rebooted in days.
    Maybe there's some truth in it being DHCP/ISP related after
    all, who knows?.

    P.

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:30:37 +0100, "PJB" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >"BCE" <google@stephens-ely.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> PJB - I have also been experiencing this problem so you're
    >not alone.
    >> I had netgear replace my original unit under an RMA hoping
    >it was a
    >> h/w fault but it still continues to happen with the new
    >unit.
    >>
    >> If you know of others that have this problem then let me
    >know and we
    >> can start to beat up netgear over it.
    >
    >Check out Google, there's LOADSA folk having problems with
    >the 624. I've consigned mine to acting purely as an Access
    >Point, ie no WAN connection, and it hasn't rebooted in days.
    >Maybe there's some truth in it being DHCP/ISP related after
    >all, who knows?.

    Looks like mileage is varying with this one. Got a 624 myself, been
    connected with it over 2 months now and was Ok until the power went
    off. Just checked it again, been up now 19 days 23hrs...
    Using v4.04. Two wired connections and one wireless. Although I would
    mention not long (couple of days) after I first started using the box
    I came home to find the router doing nothing. Assumed it was a power
    problem. Switched it off then back on. Not long after that I went to
    ver 4.04. No problems (touch wood for luck) since.

    regards
    Graham

    Mine still continues to do it even with the latest firmware. DynDNS
    black listed me because evertime the unit reset it tried to update my
    DynDNS record and I exceeded their update limits.

    I think it may be a DHCP thing but I have looked at the Lease
    optained/expires info and these don't tally with the reboots.

    I now have all PC's connected to a switch - The WGT624 now only has a
    WAN connection and an link to the switch. It still reboots but I
    don't notice it so much.

    I'd really like NetGear to nail this one.

    Brian

    google@stephens-ely.co.uk (BCE) wrote in

    > Mine still continues to do it even with the latest firmware. DynDNS
    > black listed me because evertime the unit reset it tried to update my
    > DynDNS record and I exceeded their update limits.

    How does your ISP assign ip addresses? Mine (a cable company) does it by
    MAC address. I leave my dyndns entry on static, and only update it
    manually if I have to. As long as my clone my linksys MAC to my PC MAC, I
    can switch back and forth between them and never worry about getting a new
    IP. This has worked well and I'm still using the same IP for over two
    years. I can force a new one if I want by changing the MAC of the PC or
    Linksys. I've thought about doing auto-updates with dyndns but I've never
    needed to.

    As a backup "just in case" I think the most I would want is to post the
    Linksys external IP to a web page or FTP, but I haven't figured out a way
    to do that yet. Lots of apps will post the PC's IP (which never changes
    because it's an internal network) but I don't know of any that will post
    the NAT router's external to an FTP, as opposed to updating it with DynDNS.
    That would be preferable, because you can still find your system if the IP
    changes, but you don't have to worry about DynDNS black listing you for too
    many updates.

    I've disabled DynDNS on the switch and have a Software based client
    running on one of my PCs (it's called DirectUpdate) which is far more
    reliable and does the job properly - It also allows for more than one
    'URL/Domain' and more than one Dynamic DNS provider were as the
    Netgear switch is a one to one.

    My ISP (Telewest) do use MAC address filtering to ensure your're a
    'valid' user and I've found that this isn't a problem in itself - I
    don't keep getting new IP addresses on each 'reboot' - The lease is
    about 48Hrs and on renewal I usually get the same address. My last IP
    DHCP request was about 24 hours ago with 23Hrs left to run however my
    Netgear will reboot either several times a day or will go days without
    a 'self imposed' reboot.

    V Strange and Netgear seem to deny all knowledge.

    Also, I have the V1 version of the WGT624 and I think it's firmware is
    out of step with the WGT624V2.

    "Mr. Grinch" <grinch@hatespam.yucky> wrote in message news:<Xns94DB8BE7CE1E6grinchhatespamyucksh@24.71.223.159>...
    > google@stephens-ely.co.uk (BCE) wrote in
    >
    > > Mine still continues to do it even with the latest firmware. DynDNS
    > > black listed me because evertime the unit reset it tried to update my
    > > DynDNS record and I exceeded their update limits.
    >
    > How does your ISP assign ip addresses? Mine (a cable company) does it by
    > MAC address. I leave my dyndns entry on static, and only update it
    > manually if I have to. As long as my clone my linksys MAC to my PC MAC, I
    > can switch back and forth between them and never worry about getting a new
    > IP. This has worked well and I'm still using the same IP for over two
    > years. I can force a new one if I want by changing the MAC of the PC or
    > Linksys. I've thought about doing auto-updates with dyndns but I've never
    > needed to.
    >
    > As a backup "just in case" I think the most I would want is to post the
    > Linksys external IP to a web page or FTP, but I haven't figured out a way
    > to do that yet. Lots of apps will post the PC's IP (which never changes
    > because it's an internal network) but I don't know of any that will post
    > the NAT router's external to an FTP, as opposed to updating it with DynDNS.
    > That would be preferable, because you can still find your system if the IP
    > changes, but you don't have to worry about DynDNS black listing you for too
    > many updates.

Wireless Internet Wireless Networking