JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

I'm running Win XP HE, SP1.

I've researched and read the replies given to previous posts regarding
the "there is no CD in the drive" issue.

This has recently happened to me - I've been using Nero Ultra 6 and
Nero Express quite happily for a couple of years now without problems.

Recently, when attempting to burn a CD,my CDRW drive did not want to
know at all: no disk in the drive; my DVD writer, however, although not
recognising a blank CD-R disc, allowed Nero to burn some audio tracks
(in WMA form from MP3 files). WHen I checked the CD in My Computer, it
said the disc was blank. When I placed it into a normal, everyday CD
player - it played the tracks I'd just burned (or not, according to
Windows).

Is it a Windows problem or is something else up? I uninstalled and
reinstalled Nero, btw, just the same.

Many thanks.

Byte

First, recommend you upgrade to SP2 which could be the crux of your problems.
Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Windows XP CD Burning Secrets
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03september16.mspx

CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized As a Recordable Device
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q316529
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"JustMe" wrote:

> I'm running Win XP HE, SP1.
>
> I've researched and read the replies given to previous posts regarding
> the "there is no CD in the drive" issue.
>
> This has recently happened to me - I've been using Nero Ultra 6 and
> Nero Express quite happily for a couple of years now without problems.
>
> Recently, when attempting to burn a CD,my CDRW drive did not want to
> know at all: no disk in the drive; my DVD writer, however, although not
> recognising a blank CD-R disc, allowed Nero to burn some audio tracks
> (in WMA form from MP3 files). WHen I checked the CD in My Computer, it
> said the disc was blank. When I placed it into a normal, everyday CD
> player - it played the tracks I'd just burned (or not, according to
> Windows).
>
> Is it a Windows problem or is something else up? I uninstalled and
> reinstalled Nero, btw, just the same.
>
> Many thanks.

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

Thanks, Byte. By the time SP2 came out, I already had lots of files,
etc., on my 4 HDDs, and when I installed SP2 I had too many problems
with it - the computer wouldn't function at all so I had to remove it.

I'll read the webpages you provided the links to.

Many thanks indeed.