folder redirection

Hi

i'm using xp pro sp2 in a workgroup. is it possible to redirect folders
using the group policy editor. i can't find the 'folders' section anywhere.
has this been disabled in sp2 or does it only exist if you are in a domain.

thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about folder redirection

    Which folders do you need to redirect? Most of the special folders can be
    relocated (in more ways than one). Tweak UI offers this functionality. Tweak
    UI Power Toy v2.10 can be downloaded from here:

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    Install TweakUI and run it. Under My Computer section, select the "Special
    Folders" sub-item and in the right-pane, choose the special folder that you
    want to move.

    See also:

    Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147

    --
    Ramesh Srinivasan
    MS-MVP, Windows Shell

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "stef" <stef@web.de> wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > i'm using xp pro sp2 in a workgroup. is it possible to redirect folders
    > using the group policy editor. i can't find the 'folders' section
    > anywhere. has this been disabled in sp2 or does it only exist if you are
    > in a domain.
    >
    > thanks

    Yes i found Tweakui and installed it, no problems with 'my documents' but
    doesn't seem to work with 'my pictures' and 'my music'. I still can't find
    the folder section in group policy editor.
    Thanks

    > Which folders do you need to redirect? Most of the special folders can be
    > relocated (in more ways than one). Tweak UI offers this functionality.
    > Tweak UI Power Toy v2.10 can be downloaded from here:
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
    >
    > Install TweakUI and run it. Under My Computer section, select the "Special
    > Folders" sub-item and in the right-pane, choose the special folder that
    > you want to move.
    >
    > See also:
    >
    > Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh Srinivasan
    > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > "stef" <stef@web.de> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> i'm using xp pro sp2 in a workgroup. is it possible to redirect folders
    >> using the group policy editor. i can't find the 'folders' section
    >> anywhere. has this been disabled in sp2 or does it only exist if you are
    >> in a domain.
    >>
    >> thanks

    Using this method will relocate the My Music and My Pictures folder as well:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147

    BTW, it's not possible to relocate shared documents / shared music / shared
    video using TweakUI, though the option is listed.

    --

    > Yes i found Tweakui and installed it, no problems with 'my documents' but
    > doesn't seem to work with 'my pictures' and 'my music'. I still can't find
    > the folder section in group policy editor.
    > Thanks

    >> Which folders do you need to redirect? Most of the special folders can be
    >> relocated (in more ways than one). Tweak UI offers this functionality.
    >> Tweak UI Power Toy v2.10 can be downloaded from here:
    >>
    >> http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
    >>
    >> Install TweakUI and run it. Under My Computer section, select the
    >> "Special Folders" sub-item and in the right-pane, choose the special
    >> folder that you want to move.
    >>
    >> See also:
    >>
    >> Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh Srinivasan
    >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>
    >> "stef" <stef@web.de> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> i'm using xp pro sp2 in a workgroup. is it possible to redirect folders
    >>> using the group policy editor. i can't find the 'folders' section
    >>> anywhere. has this been disabled in sp2 or does it only exist if you are
    >>> in a domain.
    >>>
    >>> thanks

    Folder Redirection as a group policy is a domain function.
    You won't find in the local policy

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "stef" <stef@web.de> wrote in message

    > Yes i found Tweakui and installed it, no problems with 'my documents' but
    > doesn't seem to work with 'my pictures' and 'my music'. I still can't find
    > the folder section in group policy editor.
    > Thanks

    > > Which folders do you need to redirect? Most of the special folders can
    be
    > > relocated (in more ways than one). Tweak UI offers this functionality.
    > > Tweak UI Power Toy v2.10 can be downloaded from here:

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2
    a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    > > Install TweakUI and run it. Under My Computer section, select the
    "Special
    > > Folders" sub-item and in the right-pane, choose the special folder that
    > > you want to move.
    > >
    > > See also:
    > >
    > > Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh Srinivasan
    > > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    > >
    > > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > >
    > > "stef" <stef@web.de> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> i'm using xp pro sp2 in a workgroup. is it possible to redirect folders
    > >> using the group policy editor. i can't find the 'folders' section
    > >> anywhere. has this been disabled in sp2 or does it only exist if you
    are
    > >> in a domain.
    > >>
    > >> thanks

Support Microsoft Windows XP