folder redirection

June 8, 2005 8:24:36 PM

Hi

i'm using xp pro sp2 in a workgroup. is it possible to redirect folders
using the group policy editor. i can't find the 'folders' section anywhere.
has this been disabled in sp2 or does it only exist if you are in a domain.

thanks

More about : folder redirection

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:01:53 AM

Which folders do you need to redirect? Most of the special folders can be
relocated (in more ways than one). Tweak UI offers this functionality. Tweak
UI Power Toy v2.10 can be downloaded from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9...

Install TweakUI and run it. Under My Computer section, select the "Special
Folders" sub-item and in the right-pane, choose the special folder that you
want to move.

See also:

Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147

--
Ramesh Srinivasan
MS-MVP, Windows Shell

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"stef" <stef@web.de> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> i'm using xp pro sp2 in a workgroup. is it possible to redirect folders
> using the group policy editor. i can't find the 'folders' section
> anywhere. has this been disabled in sp2 or does it only exist if you are
> in a domain.
>
> thanks
June 9, 2005 12:45:27 PM

Yes i found Tweakui and installed it, no problems with 'my documents' but
doesn't seem to work with 'my pictures' and 'my music'. I still can't find
the folder section in group policy editor.
Thanks

> Which folders do you need to redirect? Most of the special folders can be
> relocated (in more ways than one). Tweak UI offers this functionality.
> Tweak UI Power Toy v2.10 can be downloaded from here:
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9...
>
> Install TweakUI and run it. Under My Computer section, select the "Special
> Folders" sub-item and in the right-pane, choose the special folder that
> you want to move.
>
> See also:
>
> Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147
>
> --
> Ramesh Srinivasan
> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> "stef" <stef@web.de> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> i'm using xp pro sp2 in a workgroup. is it possible to redirect folders
>> using the group policy editor. i can't find the 'folders' section
>> anywhere. has this been disabled in sp2 or does it only exist if you are
>> in a domain.
>>
>> thanks

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 4:26:25 PM

Using this method will relocate the My Music and My Pictures folder as well:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147

BTW, it's not possible to relocate shared documents / shared music / shared
video using TweakUI, though the option is listed.

--

> Yes i found Tweakui and installed it, no problems with 'my documents' but
> doesn't seem to work with 'my pictures' and 'my music'. I still can't find
> the folder section in group policy editor.
> Thanks

>> Which folders do you need to redirect? Most of the special folders can be
>> relocated (in more ways than one). Tweak UI offers this functionality.
>> Tweak UI Power Toy v2.10 can be downloaded from here:
>>
>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9...
>>
>> Install TweakUI and run it. Under My Computer section, select the
>> "Special Folders" sub-item and in the right-pane, choose the special
>> folder that you want to move.
>>
>> See also:
>>
>> Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh Srinivasan
>> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>
>> "stef" <stef@web.de> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> i'm using xp pro sp2 in a workgroup. is it possible to redirect folders
>>> using the group policy editor. i can't find the 'folders' section
>>> anywhere. has this been disabled in sp2 or does it only exist if you are
>>> in a domain.
>>>
>>> thanks

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:21:47 PM

Folder Redirection as a group policy is a domain function.
You won't find in the local policy

Regards
Mark Dormer

"stef" <stef@web.de> wrote in message

> Yes i found Tweakui and installed it, no problems with 'my documents' but
> doesn't seem to work with 'my pictures' and 'my music'. I still can't find
> the folder section in group policy editor.
> Thanks

> > Which folders do you need to redirect? Most of the special folders can
be
> > relocated (in more ways than one). Tweak UI offers this functionality.
> > Tweak UI Power Toy v2.10 can be downloaded from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9...
a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

!