Sign in with
Your question

Games with awsome graphics!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2005 3:59:45 PM

Hi guys.

I want to know what games have you guys and girls played, which have been graphicly AMAZING. nothing older than a year old.

Why?

Because i just played The Chronicles of Riddick - Escape From Butcher Bayl, on max detail on a nvidia 6800, and it looked friggin awsome.

for once a character really looks life like and moves awsomely, better detail than half life 2 characters, even some of the seens look amazing real life like. if you have a good machine play this game its good.

my opinion more realistic movie like grafix on this game and chracters dont move like a robot unless it really is a robot like the mech`s u use in the game.

We all know HL2 and DOOM 3 have good grafix but what else have you played which has been good. it does not need to be a FPS.

More about : games awsome graphics

February 23, 2005 4:08:33 PM

A couple of recent ones:

- Far Cry
- Spellforce

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:
February 23, 2005 4:11:52 PM

Spell force what type of game is that, and what do you personally think about it?
Related resources
February 23, 2005 4:15:03 PM

DID it cast a spell on you? haha see what i did.

erm ok

sorry that was just awfull of me to add that in.
February 23, 2005 4:35:31 PM

*SLAP*

<i>Don't</i> do it again!

---
A64 3200+ Winchester @ 258x10=2580Mhz, ~1.52 Vcore
512Mb Corsair XMS4000 @ ~215Mhz (5:6) (yeah, I know :frown: )
Voltmodded Sapphire 9800Pro @ 450/350 w/ modded VGA silencer 3.
February 23, 2005 4:38:19 PM

Rome: Total War has some really good graphics for huge, ammassed armies and fortress sieges.

Some other games with amazing FPS-style graphics:

FarCry (Best foliage I've ever seen in a game)
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines
Painkiller (and the Bat-out-of-Hell expansion)
Wings of Power: Heavy Bombers and Jets (if you like FlightSims)
February 23, 2005 4:40:15 PM

I'm impressed with different things in different games, but I think the last one that made me go "WOW!" was Far Cry. It's scenery and the size of the levels was amazing to me (a FPS where you can see guys at such a distance that the sniper rifle is actually really satisfying... ah.)

HL2's character graphics are great, IMO, but the general scenery in many places looked a bit rushed. The physics are what make the game great, IMO.

DoomIII obviously had loads of attention payed to the graphics, there's nice little touches everywhere, but it's so dark and so boring that you really don't get to see that much of it. I'm interested in what other companies will do with the it, before I pass judgement on the engine.

---
512Mb Corsair XMS4000 @ ~215Mhz (5:6) (yeah, I know :frown: )
February 23, 2005 4:46:31 PM

Spellforce Is a game that deserves better. It is a little known and greatly underappreciated gem of an RPG/RTS mix of a game. The box says that it is a brilliant mix of Diablo and Warcraft (I would throw Bladur’s Gate II into the mix too). It is very true, but the game is much more than that. The critics gave is sucky reviews but everywhere you go you see that users actually love the game. I love it too. It is a little rough around the edges and it is not without minor problems*, but overall is a great experience.

* NOTE:
- Camera controls take some getting used to;
- There are virtually no keyboard shortcuts and the game is almost 100% mouse driven which may be distracting in the heat of the battle when instead of enjoying the carnage you are looking around the screen for the right icon to click to issue a command or cast a spell
- Voice acting is somewhat uninspiring and there are some lapses in dialogue options logic, on occasion;
- Some quests are unnecessarily tedious;
- Once you exit a map, everything you’ve built there disappears (this actually correlates with the logic behind the Rune Warrior concept, but still … Example: There are so-called “bind stones” which your character can use to instantaneously travel between different locations on a map AND between maps. Once I forgot to save when my camp was built up and tried to travel to a location on the map but instead I accidentally traveled to a City on a different map . . . This sucked cuz I had to rebuild my camp from scratch upon return to the map where I had to quest. Oh, and by the way, there is no “Quick Save” option which makes saving the game a little laborious.

Anyhow, there are a few more minor issues but considering that the game is from a new developer, they have done an awesome job. There are pleasant surprises around every corner, both RTS and RPG aspects of the game are very satisfying, there is enough variety in maps and races, etc. Finally, visually the game is stunning <font color=red>if you have a very powerful machine</font color=red>. It will easily bring any PC to its knees if it has less than a 2.8 GHz CPU + one of the latest hi-end graphics cards.

I have a 3GHz, 1 gig of ram + a GF6800 Ultra. Running the game at 1600x800 with all max + 2xAA and 8xAF and I do get frame rate slowdowns when I have an army of 80 units engaging an equally large army, but it is not a big deal since it is not an FPS game...

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:
February 23, 2005 4:51:10 PM

Quote:
Doom III obviously had loads of attention payed to the graphics, there's nice little touches everywhere, but it's so dark and so boring that you really don't get to see that much of it.

Amen to that. I hate Doom3 because of its dumb monster spawning, lack of any kind of strategy or tactics, its redundant combat routines and its IMPOSSIBLE DARKNESS. I hate that you cannot attach the flashlight to your friggin weapons with, say, some duct tape or something. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Not scary, annoying. Period.

February 23, 2005 4:53:55 PM

Spellforce sounds interesting to me. I am really jonesing for a good single-player RPG. I really liked Gothic II (a game that a lot of critics disparaged) which is from the same publisher as Spellforce. I have heard that Spellforce is very linear and that you're basically being guided by the hand through a series of quests that always take you to exactly the same place. Is that true? I may actually give Spellforce a shot, since I'm looking for an RPG fix (and I am burned out on MMOs.)
February 23, 2005 4:58:53 PM

It has multiplayer too...

Quote:
I have heard that Spellforce is very linear

Not really. The main plot line is rather linear, but there is an incredible number of side quests and you can do them in any order and at any time. There is no time limit on how quickly you resolve the main quest.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slava on 02/23/05 02:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 23, 2005 5:02:46 PM

You are so right, if one side of a game is excelent there is always a side which lets it down. far cry impressed me to when it first came out.

one thing about HL2 which really pissed me off, was when ur on the hover craft look at your arms they just look like sticks, its like what happened to my arms its 2 pieces of wood, a game which they spent mills on and i have wooden arms.

but HL2 is a well balanced thought out game with 95% being flawless.

Doom 3 excelent graphics never failed to impress me there but gameplay was what can i say what is that word again yes BORING, repetative gameplay.
February 23, 2005 5:07:44 PM

This Rome: Total War sounds good, is it top down war strategy stuff is so do the thousands fighting actually simulate proper slash attack blood guts every where sort of grafix of so yess i would play this game.

Wings of Power: Heavy Bombers and Jets this sounds good its been about 6years sice i played a flight sim, microsoft flight sim 98 i think it was, so i would love to see the improvements, is this one of the best combat flight sims?
February 23, 2005 5:09:45 PM

Honesty about the games you play is Very good (doom 3)

i wanna see what this spell force is all about, you have me intrigeed.
February 23, 2005 5:12:03 PM

<A HREF="http://spellforce.jowood.com/" target="_new">Spellforce</A>

February 23, 2005 5:13:13 PM

thx buddy.
February 23, 2005 5:35:09 PM

The Battle for Middle Earth definitely deserves a mention here.

It's the shiznit, as far as large-scale RTS graphics goes.

February 23, 2005 6:19:05 PM

i am so stupid that is the good sh1t. BFME is wicked.
February 23, 2005 6:21:41 PM

Oh, I am stupider still :o ) How about World of Warcraft the winner of CGW Game of the Year award with a special award for outstanding Art Direction? Mmm? Not to mention that it looks better than 99% of the games out there while its system specs are ridiculously low...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slava on 02/23/05 03:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 23, 2005 6:50:14 PM

I just played Splintercell : Chaos Theory (demo), and that looks brilliant.

<A HREF="http://www.forsaken-game.com/" target="_new">Half-Life2:Forsaken</A>
February 23, 2005 7:23:59 PM

we need to make a list of these games.
February 23, 2005 7:26:37 PM

Huh?

February 23, 2005 8:45:19 PM

as in i need to make a list for my self for games wanted.
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2005 12:13:57 AM

FYI, there is a Duct Tape Mod for D3, eh!

You can even make your duct taped flashlight be in the shape of the Bat-signal. :lol: 

Still could be better entertainment wise. Worth the money, but definitely not as good as it could've been.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2005 10:31:26 AM

Yeah, I played with a flashlight on the shotgun/pistol/machine gun mod. It helped a lot. I don't know what those clowns were thinking with all of that @#$&*% darkness!

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>
February 24, 2005 11:00:36 AM

LOL
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2005 2:03:54 PM

It's been an ongoing discussion for a while, especially considering I can buy a kinetic powered white LED flashlight right now for $30-40CDN, and in the future they can terra-form Mars but they can't figure out how to make a flashlight that attaches to your gun (D3), they can figure out how to make a Robot dog and Gravity Gun but can't make one that won't run out of power from your suit after 15 seconds (HL2), and while we've colonized galaxies we can't make one that won't tell you when it can and can't be used turning itself off quickly (Halo2), but at the same time we as humans shouldn't feel bad because even aliens can't figure out how to use flashlights but they do know how to cloak themselves and do gallactic space travel (Halo2 again). Seriously, the idea of darkness and shadows is good, but not at the expense of reality just to have contrived surprises and artificially increased difficulty.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
February 24, 2005 2:18:01 PM

Amen to that. Such things totally piss me off in games. Thanks for the info on the flashlight mod. But I am so pissed at D3 right now that I don't think I will ever want to touch it again. Suddenly, Far Cry does not seem half bad (LOL!). Game play wise D3 is one of the worst shooters ever made, IMHO. Oh, and what is all that talk about its incredible graphics? I did not see anything half impressive at 1600x1200 all max and 4xAA / 16xAF (friggin 6800U is a monster). No, seriously. Far Cry has it 10X better + it has nice character animations and you can peak from around the corners and lean forward and stuff. Who is the moron on the D3 team who thought that giving the player no ability to peak around the corners was a good idea? You could do that even in the original System Shock released in 1996, if memory serves...

[EDIT] Oh, and who is the imbecile who came up with the idea that every single time you pick up a power up or a clip you immediately get ambushed? What the hell is the point of bringing your 50% health to 100% when it will be back to 50% in just a few seconds since there is no way you can avoid being damaged by at least one of the monsters which, by the way, invariably spawn both directly in front of you and directly behind you?

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slava on 02/24/05 11:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2005 2:41:48 PM

LOL. Yeah, I love how you always get attacked from behind. It's like if you hear some mob nearby, just turn around real quick and start blasting :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>
February 24, 2005 3:07:14 PM

Wait for Stalker:Shadow of Chernobyl

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV
February 24, 2005 3:12:33 PM

Stalker started off looking very impressive, but it's now been so long that tech demos no longer look <i>that</i> great.

Exactly the same thing happened to DoomIII. First demos looked absolutely incredible, but by the time of release all our reference points had improved. Such is the way of these things I guess...

Still hoping stalker will be good though :smile: .

---
1Gb RAM, running at various strange speeds... :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2005 3:17:27 PM

That is funny. They should mke the flashlight use more realistic. I can see working a limit of some kind into it. But really, the downside of keeping your flashlight on should be a total lack of stealth in the dark, and better chance of giving your postion away in the lit areas.

And of course on a different downside...any framerate hit that comes from using it.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>
February 24, 2005 3:26:00 PM

HL2, WOW, D3...all great graphics...all already commented upon. EQ2(will max out whatever card you have...without looking very good), if you like the long and near infinite amt of quests is great. Sorry...but still impressed with the graphics in that oldy Dungeon Siege...Dungeon Siege II has a few screen shots available and it looks basicly the same to me...Age of Empires III looks amazing...BF 2 looks ok...nothing i'd write home about.

3500+, 6800GT, 1gb 3200, 36gb raptor, 2x40 mirroring, sb aud 2; Someday...sli...

Current machines running F@H:
Athlons: [64 3500+][64 3000+][2500+][2000+][1.3x1][366]
Pentiums: [X 3.0][P4 2.4x5][P4 1.4]

It's not worth saying unless it takes a really long time to say!
February 24, 2005 4:37:55 PM

Quote:
the downside of keeping your flashlight on should be a total lack of stealth in the dark, and better chance of giving your postion away in the lit areas

In case you are talking about D3 here, the concept of stealth is alien to the D3 team. All encounters are preprogramed: Pick up a power-up = make monsters spawn, for example. And it totally does not matter whether you have the light on or off: They see you regardless, but you don't see them.

But in general I agree with your comment.

February 24, 2005 9:25:58 PM

Flashlights? Aliens can't even figure out how to use doorknobs! [/The movie "Signs"]
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2005 3:47:24 AM

LOL! :cool:

a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2005 3:49:28 AM

The funny thing is I remember in HALO that with the light on I seemed to attract more fire, but maybe that's the paranoia kicking in? :lol: 

!