Installing Win8 on a pc and moving it to another

andystanley

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I for some reason can not access the bios on my pc I just built. I want to install Windows 8 release preview from a thumb drive on it. But as I can not access the bios I can not change the boot order.
Here is my hopeful solution. I hope to pop in my new Hard drive in my other pc,install Win8 on it and pop in my new machine. Would this work? Would I run into any problems?
If somebody could let me know, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

From Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Manual - Page 29:

"To access the BIOS Setup Program, press <Delete> key during POST when the power is turned on. To see more advanced BIOS setup menu options you can press <Ctrl> + <F1> in the main menu of the BIOS Setup program."

Just keep pressing delete during POST every second until it shows up.

Yes, it may technically work too, but I would not recommend that idea. You may either need to keep pressing either "ESC, F12, or F8" during boot to get the boot menu, it can vary on motherboards.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Yes, you'll run into a few. Likely that both computers are not the same hardware, so you might run into driver problems and the computer might not boot.

I'd be focusing on trying to figure out how to access the BIOS, as it would be much easier.

I thought it was a Gigabyte z68apd3(r2.0) from your signature. Do you have the manual for the H-Alvorix-RS880?