Noob question

I have 4 port adsl router/modem that connects via a CAT5 cable to my main
PC. This PC has a USB wifi card and I have a laptop using a PCMCIA wifi card
to network with the PC and share the broadband connection.

I want the laptop to use the ADSL without the main PC being on. Is the
solution to add an access point and connect it to the broadband router?

If so, what software is needed to connect the laptop to the router?

Cheers, Dave

---
More about noob question

    "Dave Hammond" <davidjhammond@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<c5loob$34238$1@ID-37023.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > I have 4 port adsl router/modem that connects via a CAT5 cable to my main
    > PC. This PC has a USB wifi card and I have a laptop using a PCMCIA wifi card
    > to network with the PC and share the broadband connection.
    >
    > I want the laptop to use the ADSL without the main PC being on. Is the
    > solution to add an access point and connect it to the broadband router?
    >
    > If so, what software is needed to connect the laptop to the router?
    >
    > Cheers, Dave
    >

    > ---

    What you suggest will work, Dave. You can pick up a combination
    wireless router/4-port switch for a song these days if you like, and
    it will have wizards to establish your Internet connection, like my
    D-Link DI-614+ that I'm very happy with.

    I assume you now get a public IP address on your main PC when
    connected to the Internet. Maybe not, since you said you could share
    the connection already, but I don't know if both machines are using
    the same gateway or if your PC is acting as the gateway for the
    laptop. The ideal solution (for me) is to setup the router to
    negotiate a public address on the Internet side and NAT to a private
    address range on the inside, like 192.168.0.X

    That way you can share the connection with as many PCs as you can
    network (up to 253 with the above address scheme).

    Jim Peterson
    Indy Tech

    Dave Hammond wrote:

    > I have 4 port adsl router/modem that connects via a CAT5 cable to my main
    > PC. This PC has a USB wifi card and I have a laptop using a PCMCIA wifi card
    > to network with the PC and share the broadband connection.

    Ok, as far as I understand, it uses ADSL through your main PC.

    > I want the laptop to use the ADSL without the main PC being on. Is the
    > solution to add an access point and connect it to the broadband router?
    > If so, what software is needed to connect the laptop to the router?

    Yup, it's a solution, and for the software, if indeed it is a router,
    none other than the wireless card's software... Most AP do not need any
    software apart from what you receive with...
    Look at:
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=304
    (wifi 820.11a/b/g, the best one, though you can take one of his little
    brothers.... a or b or g only... depends of what you have yet as wifi ?)

    But what is you router ? Sounds like a d-link or a Zyxel to me, some
    already have or can be upgrade to Wifi connections...

    Aphrael.
    --
    "La demande mondiale d’ordinateurs n’excédera pas cinq machines."
    (Thomas Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)

Laptops Routers Connection Wireless Networking