Noob question

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
April 15, 2004 3:39:11 PM

I have 4 port adsl router/modem that connects via a CAT5 cable to my main
PC. This PC has a USB wifi card and I have a laptop using a PCMCIA wifi card
to network with the PC and share the broadband connection.

I want the laptop to use the ADSL without the main PC being on. Is the
solution to add an access point and connect it to the broadband router?

If so, what software is needed to connect the laptop to the router?

Cheers, Dave

---

More about : noob question

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 15, 2004 3:39:12 PM

"Dave Hammond" <davidjhammond@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<c5loob$34238$1@ID-37023.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> I have 4 port adsl router/modem that connects via a CAT5 cable to my main
> PC. This PC has a USB wifi card and I have a laptop using a PCMCIA wifi card
> to network with the PC and share the broadband connection.
>
> I want the laptop to use the ADSL without the main PC being on. Is the
> solution to add an access point and connect it to the broadband router?
>
> If so, what software is needed to connect the laptop to the router?
>
> Cheers, Dave
>

> ---

What you suggest will work, Dave. You can pick up a combination
wireless router/4-port switch for a song these days if you like, and
it will have wizards to establish your Internet connection, like my
D-Link DI-614+ that I'm very happy with.

I assume you now get a public IP address on your main PC when
connected to the Internet. Maybe not, since you said you could share
the connection already, but I don't know if both machines are using
the same gateway or if your PC is acting as the gateway for the
laptop. The ideal solution (for me) is to setup the router to
negotiate a public address on the Internet side and NAT to a private
address range on the inside, like 192.168.0.X

That way you can share the connection with as many PCs as you can
network (up to 253 with the above address scheme).

Jim Peterson
Indy Tech
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 15, 2004 6:20:52 PM

Dave Hammond wrote:

> I have 4 port adsl router/modem that connects via a CAT5 cable to my main
> PC. This PC has a USB wifi card and I have a laptop using a PCMCIA wifi card
> to network with the PC and share the broadband connection.

Ok, as far as I understand, it uses ADSL through your main PC.

> I want the laptop to use the ADSL without the main PC being on. Is the
> solution to add an access point and connect it to the broadband router?
> If so, what software is needed to connect the laptop to the router?

Yup, it's a solution, and for the software, if indeed it is a router,
none other than the wireless card's software... Most AP do not need any
software apart from what you receive with...
Look at:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=304
(wifi 820.11a/b/g, the best one, though you can take one of his little
brothers.... a or b or g only... depends of what you have yet as wifi ?)

But what is you router ? Sounds like a d-link or a Zyxel to me, some
already have or can be upgrade to Wifi connections...

Aphrael.
--
"La demande mondiale d’ordinateurs n’excédera pas cinq machines."
(Thomas Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)