ForceWare driver comparison

Origo3D.com, a german site, takes a look at a bunch of driver in a couple of mainstreams apps/games.

<A HREF="http://www.origo3d.com/forceware-roundup-2005.shtml" target="_new">http://www.origo3d.com/forceware-roundup-2005.shtml</A>

Seems like the latest drivers main performance benifit was for 3Dmk05, and that for actual gaming speed the 71.xx drivers are the best choice.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Thanks. I was thinking about trying several different versions of recent Forceware to see which ones work better for gaming. This makes the task so much easier.

<font color=red>EDIT</font color=red> Okay. Now I am confused. Isn't 66.93 the latest official Forceware? That's what nV has on its site. Now, which are offical/unofficial? Isn't 67.66 a beta? If not, why is it not on the offical nV driver download page especially considering that the German site claims that it is WHQL? How come 66.93 is not even included in their comparison?

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slava on 02/24/05 11:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

The ones that are beta have no one behind them they are basically leaked or beta released on the net, those that aren't beta are either from nV themselves or drivers from cardmakers. Gainward may have official 71.50 dirvers, that aren't 'betas', but there is no matching official driver from nV.

BTW, I think that WHQL and nV drivers is a hard match my friend there's a bunch of issues. Even ATI has a bunch of problems getting their drivers to work and they have to make things 'optional' in order to pass WHQL.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
In other words, for the uninitiated, like me, that German page is misleading because there is no way of knowing which drivers are which, which ones are the latest (as in what the driver version number actually reflects) and which manufacturer issued a particular driver and whether all of those drivers are suitable for all cards from other manufacturers... or am I missing something here?

When I was talking about trying different versions of Forceware I was talking drivers that I previously downloaded from the nV site, but then, again, this may be a pointless exercise ....

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool: