Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Amazingly good service

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 4:17:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Have had a number of Dell laptops and have always been
pleased with tech support until it got to the point that I
could not decipher the accent of most of the technicians.

Recently was experiencing unacceptably loud noises from the
fan on my Inspiron 8200.

Went to Dell Support and engaged in an email conversation
with a tech. It was OK, but there were long time lags
between communications.

Encountered an issue which could best be answered by a human
being. Called the tech support line and got a nice lady
whose accent said she was Indian, but was veeery easy to
understand.

Not only did she stay on the line through a number of
questions and review what was already in the emails, but
today (21st) when my machine had been returned to me (it
left my home up on the 16th), she telephoned to ask if the
repairs were satisfactory!!!

Maybe I just got lucky, but I thought it was exemplary.
--

Rex's Mom

More about : amazingly good service

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:16:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Rex's Mom says...

> Have had a number of Dell laptops and have always been
> pleased with tech support until it got to the point that I
> could not decipher the accent of most of the technicians.
>
> Recently was experiencing unacceptably loud noises from the
> fan on my Inspiron 8200.
>
> Went to Dell Support and engaged in an email conversation
> with a tech. It was OK, but there were long time lags
> between communications.
>
> Encountered an issue which could best be answered by a human
> being. Called the tech support line and got a nice lady
> whose accent said she was Indian, but was veeery easy to
> understand.
>
> Not only did she stay on the line through a number of
> questions and review what was already in the emails, but
> today (21st) when my machine had been returned to me (it
> left my home up on the 16th), she telephoned to ask if the
> repairs were satisfactory!!!
>
> Maybe I just got lucky, but I thought it was exemplary.

Must be nice. I'm praying they don't go bankrupt before I can get my
overpayments back from them. I bought a laptop with their "preferred
account". I had an automatic payment of $50 a month deducted from my
checking. I paid the balance early, and they still keep debiting my
account. They owe me $150 so far. They debited my account again 3/18,
when I had sent a printed form with a cancelled check and all to get
them to stop two weeks ago. I can't stop the payments online or over
the phone. I can with any other automatic payment I ever set up. Three
calls to the India support center, and I just keep getting obvious lies.
Last month, when I complained about last month's illegal debit, they
said the sent checks for the two previous overpayments. I would have to
flush $27 to get my bank to stop paying the automatic debit. I'm going
to small claims court if I don't get a repayment by the end of the
month.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 7:00:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Fred Barney wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Must be nice. I'm praying they don't go bankrupt before I can get my
> overpayments back from them. I bought a laptop with their "preferred
> account". I had an automatic payment of $50 a month deducted from my
> checking. I paid the balance early, and they still keep debiting my
> account. They owe me $150 so far. They debited my account again 3/18,
> when I had sent a printed form with a cancelled check and all to get
> them to stop two weeks ago. I can't stop the payments online or over
> the phone. I can with any other automatic payment I ever set up. Three
> calls to the India support center, and I just keep getting obvious lies.
> Last month, when I complained about last month's illegal debit, they
> said the sent checks for the two previous overpayments. I would have to
> flush $27 to get my bank to stop paying the automatic debit. I'm going
> to small claims court if I don't get a repayment by the end of the
> month.

Fred -

Just a side note... The last response, SEEMINGLY written by me,
was, in fact, a forgery... I don't use Outlook Express.

Take care!

Notan
Related resources
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 8:02:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Your just a prick! Dell is great!
"Fred Barney" <loco-motoSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.1caa0ee6d3ce160b989715@newsgroups.comcast.net...
> Rex's Mom says...
>
>> Have had a number of Dell laptops and have always been
>> pleased with tech support until it got to the point that I
>> could not decipher the accent of most of the technicians.
>>
>> Recently was experiencing unacceptably loud noises from the
>> fan on my Inspiron 8200.
>>
>> Went to Dell Support and engaged in an email conversation
>> with a tech. It was OK, but there were long time lags
>> between communications.
>>
>> Encountered an issue which could best be answered by a human
>> being. Called the tech support line and got a nice lady
>> whose accent said she was Indian, but was veeery easy to
>> understand.
>>
>> Not only did she stay on the line through a number of
>> questions and review what was already in the emails, but
>> today (21st) when my machine had been returned to me (it
>> left my home up on the 16th), she telephoned to ask if the
>> repairs were satisfactory!!!
>>
>> Maybe I just got lucky, but I thought it was exemplary.
>
> Must be nice. I'm praying they don't go bankrupt before I can get my
> overpayments back from them. I bought a laptop with their "preferred
> account". I had an automatic payment of $50 a month deducted from my
> checking. I paid the balance early, and they still keep debiting my
> account. They owe me $150 so far. They debited my account again 3/18,
> when I had sent a printed form with a cancelled check and all to get
> them to stop two weeks ago. I can't stop the payments online or over
> the phone. I can with any other automatic payment I ever set up. Three
> calls to the India support center, and I just keep getting obvious lies.
> Last month, when I complained about last month's illegal debit, they
> said the sent checks for the two previous overpayments. I would have to
> flush $27 to get my bank to stop paying the automatic debit. I'm going
> to small claims court if I don't get a repayment by the end of the
> month.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 2:02:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Fred Barney wrote:

> Rex's Mom says...
>
>
>>Have had a number of Dell laptops and have always been
>>pleased with tech support until it got to the point that I
>>could not decipher the accent of most of the technicians.
>>
>>Recently was experiencing unacceptably loud noises from the
>>fan on my Inspiron 8200.
>>
>>Went to Dell Support and engaged in an email conversation
>>with a tech. It was OK, but there were long time lags
>>between communications.
>>
>>Encountered an issue which could best be answered by a human
>>being. Called the tech support line and got a nice lady
>>whose accent said she was Indian, but was veeery easy to
>>understand.
>>
>>Not only did she stay on the line through a number of
>>questions and review what was already in the emails, but
>>today (21st) when my machine had been returned to me (it
>>left my home up on the 16th), she telephoned to ask if the
>>repairs were satisfactory!!!
>>
>>Maybe I just got lucky, but I thought it was exemplary.
>
>
> Must be nice. I'm praying they don't go bankrupt before I can get my
> overpayments back from them. I bought a laptop with their "preferred
> account". I had an automatic payment of $50 a month deducted from my
> checking. I paid the balance early, and they still keep debiting my
> account. They owe me $150 so far. They debited my account again 3/18,
> when I had sent a printed form with a cancelled check and all to get
> them to stop two weeks ago. I can't stop the payments online or over
> the phone. I can with any other automatic payment I ever set up. Three
> calls to the India support center, and I just keep getting obvious lies.
> Last month, when I complained about last month's illegal debit, they
> said the sent checks for the two previous overpayments. I would have to
> flush $27 to get my bank to stop paying the automatic debit. I'm going
> to small claims court if I don't get a repayment by the end of the
> month.
Fred,

Just a thought...have you tried contacting your bank and
cancelling Dell's authorization to debit your account?

--

Rex's Mom
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 2:26:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Rex's Mom says...

> Just a thought...have you tried contacting your bank and
> cancelling Dell's authorization to debit your account?

I mentioned in my post that my bank charges $27 to stop payment. I
believe that is standard for the industry, and I wanted to avoid wasting
significant amounts of money if I could. Fortunately, in the process of
telling me that the money they were robbing from me wasn't their
problem, Dell-Denise on the Dell support forums dropped the clue that
CheckFree is a third party they use for automatic debits. Here is the
exact quote from the Dell preferred accounts forum:

This is not a DFS problem. You need to cancel the debits with checkfree.
That is a third party that debits the payments as you have requested.
Until you stop it, it will continue. DFS can not stop autodebits you
set up through a third party.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

This was the most amazing insult I have ever experienced as a customer,
and this happened after my post here yesterday. Bear in mind that I
bought a big-ticket item, a $2000 laptop paid in full, from this
company. The insult is that CheckFree is Dell's partner in their online
payment system. Nowhere is the name CheckFree mentioned unless you read
the fine print on a seldom used link in the online payment pages.
CheckFree is almost completely invisible, and there is no contact
information given for CheckFree. When you send the signed form for
automatic payments, the address is Dell Preferred Accounts Auto-pay. It
is all done under Dell's name. And the Dell rep has the unmitigated
gall to tell me that while they have illegally taken $150 of my money,
it isn't their problem, as if CheckFree was something I had brought in
without their knowledge for my own convenience. I had never heard of
CheckFree until I read the posts from ultra-sleaze Dell-Denise. I found
one email address for CheckFree at www.checkfree.com, a sales email
address and told my story and asked them to forward my problem
appropriately. CheckFree called me within a few hours and I was able to
stop the payments over the phone. Dell did nothing, not even giving me
a way to contact CheckFree, lied to me, and told me that their illegal
possession of $150 of my money wasn't their problem. They have my
undying hatred for all time. Anyone can read the whole thread at:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?
board.id=cc_dpa&message.id=4522
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:48:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Rex's Mom wrote:
> Fred Barney wrote:
>
>> Rex's Mom says...
>>
>>> Have had a number of Dell laptops and have always been pleased with
>>> tech support until it got to the point that I could not decipher the
>>> accent of most of the technicians.
>>>
>>> Recently was experiencing unacceptably loud noises from the fan on my
>>> Inspiron 8200.
>>>
>>> Went to Dell Support and engaged in an email conversation with a
>>> tech. It was OK, but there were long time lags between communications.
>>>
>>> Encountered an issue which could best be answered by a human being.
>>> Called the tech support line and got a nice lady whose accent said
>>> she was Indian, but was veeery easy to understand.
>>>
>>> Not only did she stay on the line through a number of questions and
>>> review what was already in the emails, but today (21st) when my
>>> machine had been returned to me (it left my home up on the 16th), she
>>> telephoned to ask if the repairs were satisfactory!!!
>>>
>>> Maybe I just got lucky, but I thought it was exemplary.
>>
>> Must be nice. I'm praying they don't go bankrupt before I can get my
>> overpayments back from them. I bought a laptop with their "preferred
>> account". I had an automatic payment of $50 a month deducted from my
>> checking. I paid the balance early, and they still keep debiting my
>> account. They owe me $150 so far. They debited my account again
>> 3/18, when I had sent a printed form with a cancelled check and all to
>> get them to stop two weeks ago. I can't stop the payments online or
>> over the phone. I can with any other automatic payment I ever set
>> up. Three calls to the India support center, and I just keep getting
>> obvious lies. Last month, when I complained about last month's
>> illegal debit, they said the sent checks for the two previous
>> overpayments. I would have to flush $27 to get my bank to stop paying
>> the automatic debit. I'm going to small claims court if I don't get a
>> repayment by the end of the month.
>
> Fred,
>
> Just a thought...have you tried contacting your bank and cancelling
> Dell's authorization to debit your account?

Where's the fun in that?

;) 
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:54:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Fred Barney wrote:
> Rex's Mom says...
>
>>Just a thought...have you tried contacting your bank and
>>cancelling Dell's authorization to debit your account?
>
> I mentioned in my post that my bank charges $27 to stop payment.

I don't see this as a "stop payment" situation - you want to cancel the
authorization for them to debit your account.

> I believe that is standard for the industry,

There's no such thing as a "standard for the industry" for this,
although $27 may commonly be charged for a stop payment.

> and I wanted to avoid wasting
> significant amounts of money if I could. Fortunately, in the process of
> telling me that the money they were robbing from me wasn't their
> problem, Dell-Denise on the Dell support forums dropped the clue that
> CheckFree is a third party they use for automatic debits. Here is the
> exact quote from the Dell preferred accounts forum:
>
> This is not a DFS problem. You need to cancel the debits with checkfree.
> That is a third party that debits the payments as you have requested.
> Until you stop it, it will continue. DFS can not stop autodebits you
> set up through a third party.

This is exactly why I *never* authorize anyone to charge my account
(checking or CC) on a continuing basis without authorization from me.

Good luck getting this sorted out, BTW.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Thank you,
>
> This was the most amazing insult I have ever experienced as a customer,
> and this happened after my post here yesterday. Bear in mind that I
> bought a big-ticket item, a $2000 laptop paid in full, from this
> company. The insult is that CheckFree is Dell's partner in their online
> payment system. Nowhere is the name CheckFree mentioned unless you read
> the fine print on a seldom used link in the online payment pages.

Whoa, those dirty guys, using fine print!!!!! Dude, it's your money,
don't expect Dell to be more careful with it than you are.

> CheckFree is almost completely invisible, and there is no contact
> information given for CheckFree. When you send the signed form for
> automatic payments, the address is Dell Preferred Accounts Auto-pay. It
> is all done under Dell's name. And the Dell rep has the unmitigated
> gall to tell me that while they have illegally taken $150 of my money,
> it isn't their problem, as if CheckFree was something I had brought in
> without their knowledge for my own convenience. I had never heard of
> CheckFree until I read the posts from ultra-sleaze Dell-Denise. I found
> one email address for CheckFree at www.checkfree.com, a sales email
> address and told my story and asked them to forward my problem
> appropriately. CheckFree called me within a few hours and I was able to
> stop the payments over the phone. Dell did nothing, not even giving me
> a way to contact CheckFree, lied to me, and told me that their illegal
> possession of $150 of my money wasn't their problem. They have my
> undying hatred for all time. Anyone can read the whole thread at:
>
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?
> board.id=cc_dpa&message.id=4522
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 11:14:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Sparky Spartacus says...

> There's no such thing as a "standard for the industry" for this,
> although $27 may commonly be charged for a stop payment.

Well, that's what I was told. I can't make up my own price for that.

> This is exactly why I *never* authorize anyone to charge my account
> (checking or CC) on a continuing basis without authorization from me.

I never had a problem before now. It is good for some things like
credit cards, which this basically was, because you will never be late
and screw up your interest rate or other perks.

> Whoa, those dirty guys, using fine print!!!!! Dude, it's your money,
> don't expect Dell to be more careful with it than you are.

The pages were totally different last year when I signed up for auto-
pay. Dell didn't even have online payment when I bought my computer.
The little mention of CheckFree is irrelevant, even if it existed back
then, because it doesn't say who or what CheckFree is or in any way
insinuate that they support the payment system. There certainly isn't
any contact information available. I could only assume that Dell did
the support. If that wasn't the case, all Dell had to do was give me
the contact information for them and I would have done what I had to do.
Instead, I was told that it wasn't a Dell problem and that I had set up
the payments with a third party. Then I was left wondering what the
hell CheckFree was and how was I supposed to contact them. I was quite
unimpressed to find that CheckFree was Dell's silent partner and that
there was no contact information. I asked for the contact information
twice and was ignored. I reached CheckFree by typing www.checkfree.com,
just to see if such a URL actually existed, and sent an email to a sales
email address--the only contact to be found, and it miraculously was
forwarded where it needed to go. That was a long shot, to say the
least. I didn't even know if it was the right company, and it certainly
wasn't the right contact. Try typing www.nissan.com and see what you
get. Yes, I was very, very lucky anything came of it, and CheckFree
showed a lot of class getting the message through and contacting me so
quickly. Dell's performance, OTOH, was so bad it is hard to believe it
actually happened. The India phone support is useless as tits on a
boar. If they can't, won't or don't know how to support Dell Financial
problems, then they should at least point in the right direction. In
each case, three calls over three months, they told me lies that were
exactly what I wanted to hear and then did nothing. Dell-Denise on the
support forums is entirely in the wrong line of work. I worked my way
through college doing tech support over phone, email etc, and I find it
amazing anybody would pay her to be such an ass. I would have been
fired on the spot for having any fraction of that attitude. I guess
Dell didn't want me as a customer anymore. I guess that is one thing we
can agree on.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:30:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Fred Barney wrote:
> Sparky Spartacus says...
>
>>There's no such thing as a "standard for the industry" for this,
>>although $27 may commonly be charged for a stop payment.
>
> Well, that's what I was told.

I don't doubt that - easiest way to justify predatory additional fees is
to claim they're "industry standard" (I'll bet Tony Soprano's shylocks
tell their fish the vig is "industry standard"). My last job was with
one of the NYC money center banks - these charges are set by each bank
(which is not to say many don't charge the same confiscatory amount).

> I can't make up my own price for that.
>
>>This is exactly why I *never* authorize anyone to charge my account
>>(checking or CC) on a continuing basis without authorization from me.
>
> I never had a problem before now. It is good for some things like
> credit cards, which this basically was,

But, as you know all too well now, it basically isn't. A CC gives the
cardholder certain right that paying in cash, no matter which form, does
not grant.

Maybe this is an example of a hard lesson well learned?

> because you will never be late
> and screw up your interest rate or other perks.
>
>>Whoa, those dirty guys, using fine print!!!!! Dude, it's your money,
>>don't expect Dell to be more careful with it than you are.
>
> The pages were totally different last year when I signed up for auto-
> pay.

Last year??!! What in the computer business *wasn't* different last year?
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:13:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have a broken D600, with next-day on-site complete care service.
But Dell won't come fix the computer.

I called two days ago, and after waiting an hour the representative
hung up on me. Yesterday, I tried again, and got hung up on twice
(!). Yesterday, both reps who hung up on my had already taken my
phone number, but they didn't call me back. The third rep I spoke
with told me the problem was probably a software issue and Dell
doesn't fix software issues.

Last night, I ran some diagnostics on the machine myself (from F12,
very useful). The HD Read Test failed. The HD needs replacing.
Armed with this knowledge, I called Dell for a fifth (!!) time, told
them exactly which test failed, and I told them that I needed someone
to come out, replace the HD, and reinstall Windows.

They told me that they don't reinstall Windows. I told them that the
7th bulleted paragraph in Section 2b of my contract (available on
line), promises that Dell *will* reload Windows and other software.
The service rep told me he had to escalate the issue, and that someone
would call me back. Obviously, no one has called me back.

So at this point, I've placed five calls to dell, received zero
technical support from them, diagnosed the problem myself, and Dell
refuses to fix it. (Two e-mails have also gone unanswered.)

The whole reason I bought Dell computers was because of their
service. I feel like an idiot. I should have purchased a machine
from a local dealer.

Am I really just unbelievably unlucky (2 reps hang up on me, a third
doesn't know how to help, a 4th escalates a call that never gets
handled)? Or is Dell's good service a thing of the past?

I'll be grateful for any advice this group can offer.

Thank you.

-Joel Hoffman
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:29:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Sorry to follow up on my post. One bit of new information. I gave up
this evening, and agreed to have Dell send me a new HD, which I will
replace myself. They told me it will take 2-3 days for the HD to
arrive. I told them I had next-day service, and their response was
that day service only applies when a technician comes out, not when
they send a part for me to replace myself.

So:

1. They won't reinstall the software, in spite of their written
promise to do so.

2. Because they're not installing software, they don't have to send a
technician.

3. Because there's no technician coming, they don't have to fix the
computer on the next business day.

Sounds like a scam. My only reason not to think it's a scam is my past
experience (which has always been great).

What happened to Dell?

-Joel Hoffman
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:29:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
news:QGBBe.15523$js.13702@fe10.lga...
> Sorry to follow up on my post. One bit of new information. I gave up
> this evening, and agreed to have Dell send me a new HD, which I will
> replace myself. They told me it will take 2-3 days for the HD to
> arrive. I told them I had next-day service, and their response was
> that day service only applies when a technician comes out, not when
> they send a part for me to replace myself.
>
> So:
>
> 1. They won't reinstall the software, in spite of their written
> promise to do so.
>
> 2. Because they're not installing software, they don't have to send a
> technician.
>
> 3. Because there's no technician coming, they don't have to fix the
> computer on the next business day.
>
> Sounds like a scam. My only reason not to think it's a scam is my past
> experience (which has always been great).
>
> What happened to Dell?
>
> -Joel Hoffman
>
>


I can't imagine how armed with a hard diagnostic failure ("HDD read test
failure") you should have had more than one phone call that lasted beyond 15
mins to fill out the dispatch for a new hard disk.

What took so long on each call? Was this an argument or a brief
troubleshooting session?

I had a HDD fail on a C610 less than a month ago. I wrote down the two
diagnostic failures exactly. When the tech picked up the phone, I *asked*
if I might tell her what I had tried and what error messages that had
produced.

"Where would you like the replacement hard drive sent?"

Next day, DHL at the door.


Stew
July 15, 2005 2:54:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:29:04 GMT, joel@exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
wrote:

>What happened to Dell?

Dell now caters to people who get "gold" technical support. GTS
service calls are given "priority" by service techs cuz their managers
say so...of course, the tech doesnt give a ---- because he doesn't get
paid any more for a GTS call than for a regular service call.

Dell is still a tad better than any other company. At least they will
listen to the residential or small-bustiness customer's gripes and
send out a tech (albeit grudgingly) for residential or
small-businesses. Try getting a technician for a Gateway, HP, or
Compaq (aka HP...yuck, associating HP with Compaq still turns my
stomach)...the CSR will respond with one of two replies :

1) "what's a technician?"
2) "how would you like to pay for that?"

Dan
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:54:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Dan wrote:
>
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:29:04 GMT, joel@exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
> wrote:
>
> >What happened to Dell?
>
> Dell now caters to people who get "gold" technical support. GTS
> service calls are given "priority" by service techs cuz their managers
> say so...of course, the tech doesnt give a ---- because he doesn't get
> paid any more for a GTS call than for a regular service call.

My experience has been that the GTS Techs are "a step above" the
other techs, as far as knowledge goes.

Whether that's accurate, or just perceived, on my part, I couldn't
tell you.

Notan
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:11:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>I can't imagine how armed with a hard diagnostic failure ("HDD read test
>failure") you should have had more than one phone call that lasted beyond 15
>mins to fill out the dispatch for a new hard disk.

Depends which call. I thought Dell would come out and fix thing,
including reloading the OS. The rep told me they would only do that
if there was accidental damage. I said of course there's accidental
damage. I put the think in a briefcase and when I took it out the HD
wasn't working right. That was the call that got "escalated"
(ignored).

The second person I spoke with today wanted me to re-seat the HD. I
told him that a faulty connection wouldn't cause the same two sectors
to show up as bad time after time. (He disagreed.)

Finally, they told me they would send me a HD. I said I had next day
service, and the rep said that next-day doesn't apply to
user-replacable parts, so I would only get the HD in "two to three
days." I considered arguing the point, but I didn't have time.

Just to process the new HD took the rep 25 minutes on the phone.

I want to be clear - until this time, I've had nothing but superb
service from Dell. But this time, nearly a dozen people have been
inept. What's going on?

-Joel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:11:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
news:GiCBe.15526$js.3275@fe10.lga...
> >I can't imagine how armed with a hard diagnostic failure ("HDD read test
>>failure") you should have had more than one phone call that lasted beyond
>>15
>>mins to fill out the dispatch for a new hard disk.
>
> Depends which call. I thought Dell would come out and fix thing,
> including reloading the OS. The rep told me they would only do that
> if there was accidental damage. I said of course there's accidental
> damage. I put the think in a briefcase and when I took it out the HD
> wasn't working right. That was the call that got "escalated"
> (ignored).
>
> The second person I spoke with today wanted me to re-seat the HD. I
> told him that a faulty connection wouldn't cause the same two sectors
> to show up as bad time after time. (He disagreed.)
>
> Finally, they told me they would send me a HD. I said I had next day
> service, and the rep said that next-day doesn't apply to
> user-replacable parts, so I would only get the HD in "two to three
> days." I considered arguing the point, but I didn't have time.
>
> Just to process the new HD took the rep 25 minutes on the phone.
>
> I want to be clear - until this time, I've had nothing but superb
> service from Dell. But this time, nearly a dozen people have been
> inept. What's going on?
>
> -Joel
>


Joel,

Not to take a cheap swipe, but Dell has almost *never* reloaded an OS
onsite. The exception I can think of is a brand new machine (within 30
days) that had a hard drive failure, and Dell subsequently dispatched a
*fully imaged* hard disk that the onsite tech could simple mount, plug and
boot up, -OR- a complete image restore CD and blank hard disk which the
customer could install.

I'm not sure how it all occurred, but there never should've been need for a
second phone call.......

Simple failure. OS must be reinstalled by the user.


Stew
July 15, 2005 3:11:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:19:27 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
wrote:

>Not to take a cheap swipe, but Dell has almost *never* reloaded an OS
>onsite. The exception I can think of is a brand new machine (within 30
>days) that had a hard drive failure, and Dell subsequently dispatched a
>*fully imaged* hard disk that the onsite tech could simple mount, plug and
>boot up, -OR- a complete image restore CD and blank hard disk which the
>customer could install.

For $25 I would only install the hardware and as a _courtesy_ begin
the format of the hard drive. I'm NOT going to spend 3-4 hours
on-site installing the operating system, applications and other
garbage.

Some people only treat the tech like some IT tech-servant, available
at the slightest cel-phone whim. Somehow I seriously doubt that most
people in here would treat the tech with much courtesy. Most places I
go practically tell me not to hit my ass on their custom-redwood door
on my way out.

Dan
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:00:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>Not to take a cheap swipe, but Dell has almost *never* reloaded an OS
>onsite. The exception I can think of is a brand new machine (within 30

And if that's their policy, fine. But I paid extra for
"CompleteCare," and my contract reads:

"if hard drive replacement is necessary, we will reload, at no
charge to you, the then-current version of major application
and operating system software."

It doesn't get clearer than that.

Basically, I was under the impression that with CompleteCare, if my
computer broke, Dell would make sure that it was working the next day.
That's what the sales rep told me when I bought the thing.

The computer broke on Wednesday. It will take until next Tuesday or
Wednesday until I have the tools to fix it myself. That's not next
day, and it's not Dell taking care of everything.

-Joel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:00:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
news:I0DBe.136789$mx5.39917@fe08.lga...
> >Not to take a cheap swipe, but Dell has almost *never* reloaded an OS
>>onsite. The exception I can think of is a brand new machine (within 30
>
> And if that's their policy, fine. But I paid extra for
> "CompleteCare," and my contract reads:
>
> "if hard drive replacement is necessary, we will reload, at no
> charge to you, the then-current version of major application
> and operating system software."
>
> It doesn't get clearer than that.
>
> Basically, I was under the impression that with CompleteCare, if my
> computer broke, Dell would make sure that it was working the next day.
> That's what the sales rep told me when I bought the thing.
>
> The computer broke on Wednesday. It will take until next Tuesday or
> Wednesday until I have the tools to fix it myself. That's not next
> day, and it's not Dell taking care of everything.
>
> -Joel
>


My C610 had complete care/gold tech support as well. I certainly wasn't
aware of the excerpt you posted above existed in the CC warranty.

If that's the way it reads, then you were owed onsite with an OS install the
next day, and they blew it.

In my case, I just wanted the dambed hard drive so I could reinstall and get
on with it.

Am I correct is assuming you were working with U.S./domestic techs on this?
Hoooooooo-boy, they're supposed to send (or they've done so for me) a
follow-up survey about the service via e-mail.

I'm sure that will allow you to give'em an earful.


Stew
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:18:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The only tools you need to replace the hard disk are a small fairly pointly
Philips head screwdriver and then a small flat-bladed screwdrver to ease (pry?)
the tiny adaper from the hard drive. My fingers are too big to pull off the
adapter... Ben Myers

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:00:40 GMT, joel@exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:

>>Not to take a cheap swipe, but Dell has almost *never* reloaded an OS
>>onsite. The exception I can think of is a brand new machine (within 30
>
>And if that's their policy, fine. But I paid extra for
>"CompleteCare," and my contract reads:
>
> "if hard drive replacement is necessary, we will reload, at no
> charge to you, the then-current version of major application
> and operating system software."
>
>It doesn't get clearer than that.
>
>Basically, I was under the impression that with CompleteCare, if my
>computer broke, Dell would make sure that it was working the next day.
>That's what the sales rep told me when I bought the thing.
>
>The computer broke on Wednesday. It will take until next Tuesday or
>Wednesday until I have the tools to fix it myself. That's not next
>day, and it's not Dell taking care of everything.
>
>-Joel
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:23:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>> And if that's their policy, fine. But I paid extra for
>> "CompleteCare," and my contract reads:
>>
>> "if hard drive replacement is necessary, we will reload, at no
>> charge to you, the then-current version of major application
>> and operating system software."
>>
>> It doesn't get clearer than that.
>>
>My C610 had complete care/gold tech support as well. I certainly wasn't
>aware of the excerpt you posted above existed in the CC warranty.
>
>If that's the way it reads, then you were owed onsite with an OS install the
>next day, and they blew it.

Yup. And in least in New York State, companies are getting
prosecuting for that sort of illegal behavior. (I read the rep the
except, and he saw it on his screen.) Dell's position is that because
I can't prove that the failure was the result of inadvertent damage,
they will assume that the HD broke of it's on accord, and so the
CompleteCare contract doesn't apply.

Either way, I'm more upset about (a) three Dell reps hanging up on me;
(b) having to diagnose the problem myself; and (c) having to wait "two
to three days" for the new HD to arrive.

My real dilemma is that over the years perhaps 1,000 people have
purchased Dell computers on my say-so, and they did it because I told
them Dell has good service. As it happens, I can diagnose and fix the
computer myself, but my clients cannot.

-Joel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:30:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>The only tools you need to replace the hard disk are a small fairly pointly
>Philips head screwdriver and then a small flat-bladed screwdrver to ease (pry?)
>the tiny adaper from the hard drive. My fingers are too big to pull off the
>adapter... Ben Myers

That isn't the point. I thought the service contract meant that Dell
fixes my computer, not me. (I imagine a car warranty that ends up
with me having an engine and a service manual in my hands....)

[As for the problem, I will admit that it was a bit hard to diagnose.
The hive files were unloadable, which almost always *is* a s/w
problem. But I knew it wasn't because of the timing, the problem
having first occurred between two clean boots. I used the Linux boot
CD to correlate the bad sectors with files, and it turns out part of
the system registry was on the bad sectors. What are the odds...?]

-Joel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 15, 2005 4:35:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Did you want to talk about the problem with the hard drive? Any chance the
computer was on while it was in the briefcase? You can buy adapters from
electronics stores that will let you use the laptop hard drive in a normal
computer, if you wanted to try to recover any data. Some folks say putting
a bad hard drive in the freezer for a short time might help it boot once
more, but I suppose you have to be careful of the moisture and maybe put it
in a baggie or something.

If you wanted to get some software to try to recover any data, one of the
best, as far as I know, is Spinrite from
http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm (I have no personal interest)

If yours is like my 600m, the drive will have an adapter on the back that
has to be moved to the new drive. Be careful not to bend any pins. It can
only go on one way since there is a blank pin space. Make sure it is
unplugged with the battery removed. Try to not touch the connectors if you
don't have to. Dell normally has the latest drivers for your devices if you
want to update them.

Clark
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:43:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>Did you want to talk about the problem with the hard drive? Any
>chance the computer was on while it was in the briefcase? You can
>buy adapters from electronics stores that will let you use the laptop
>hard drive in a normal computer, if you wanted to try to recover any
>data. Some folks say putting

I was going to do that, but fortunately I have a Linux boot CD. I
booted from the CD, mounted the Windows NTFS volume, and copied my
files to a SanDisk USB cruzer to save the day's work. I was going to
try to edit the registry (hoping to fix it) when I discovered the read
errors. (Linux is nice that way - you see read errors complete with
block numbers.)

As an aside, I also learned about a lovely little bug in Windows XP.
The password scheme used by some pre-installed versions of Windows is
incompatible with the password scheme used by the recovery disk. When
I tried to recover the hive files, before I knew about the HW errors,
Windows told me I had the wrong Adminstrator password. (Microsoft has
a note about this on their website.) Lovely.


-Joel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 15, 2005 6:24:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Well the NY State ATTY GEN has a reputation for going after companies
that don't live up to their sales agreements. Sounds like a good time
to contact the consumer fraud division of his office.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:23:55 GMT, joel@exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
wrote:

>>> And if that's their policy, fine. But I paid extra for
>>> "CompleteCare," and my contract reads:
>>>
>>> "if hard drive replacement is necessary, we will reload, at no
>>> charge to you, the then-current version of major application
>>> and operating system software."
>>>
>>> It doesn't get clearer than that.
>>>
>>My C610 had complete care/gold tech support as well. I certainly wasn't
>>aware of the excerpt you posted above existed in the CC warranty.
>>
>>If that's the way it reads, then you were owed onsite with an OS install the
>>next day, and they blew it.
>
>Yup. And in least in New York State, companies are getting
>prosecuting for that sort of illegal behavior. (I read the rep the
>except, and he saw it on his screen.) Dell's position is that because
>I can't prove that the failure was the result of inadvertent damage,
>they will assume that the HD broke of it's on accord, and so the
>CompleteCare contract doesn't apply.
>
>Either way, I'm more upset about (a) three Dell reps hanging up on me;
>(b) having to diagnose the problem myself; and (c) having to wait "two
>to three days" for the new HD to arrive.
>
>My real dilemma is that over the years perhaps 1,000 people have
>purchased Dell computers on my say-so, and they did it because I told
>them Dell has good service. As it happens, I can diagnose and fix the
>computer myself, but my clients cannot.
>
>-Joel
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:34:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:00:40 GMT, joel@exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
wrote:

>>Not to take a cheap swipe, but Dell has almost *never* reloaded an OS
>>onsite. The exception I can think of is a brand new machine (within 30
>
>And if that's their policy, fine. But I paid extra for
>"CompleteCare," and my contract reads:
>
> "if hard drive replacement is necessary, we will reload, at no
> charge to you, the then-current version of major application
> and operating system software."
>
>It doesn't get clearer than that.
>
>Basically, I was under the impression that with CompleteCare, if my
>computer broke, Dell would make sure that it was working the next day.
>That's what the sales rep told me when I bought the thing.
>
>The computer broke on Wednesday. It will take until next Tuesday or
>Wednesday until I have the tools to fix it myself. That's not next
>day, and it's not Dell taking care of everything.

Based on the above, you might have grounds for a lawsuit. You'd
probably need to prove you lost business by them delaying the repair.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:08:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

That's why God (or was it the devil) made sleazy lawyers. Hire one.

JohnP

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
news:%rBBe.15521$js.9770@fe10.lga...
>I have a broken D600, with next-day on-site complete care service.
> But Dell won't come fix the computer.
>
> I called two days ago, and after waiting an hour the representative
> hung up on me. Yesterday, I tried again, and got hung up on twice
> (!). Yesterday, both reps who hung up on my had already taken my
> phone number, but they didn't call me back. The third rep I spoke
> with told me the problem was probably a software issue and Dell
> doesn't fix software issues.
>
> Last night, I ran some diagnostics on the machine myself (from F12,
> very useful). The HD Read Test failed. The HD needs replacing.
> Armed with this knowledge, I called Dell for a fifth (!!) time, told
> them exactly which test failed, and I told them that I needed someone
> to come out, replace the HD, and reinstall Windows.
>
> They told me that they don't reinstall Windows. I told them that the
> 7th bulleted paragraph in Section 2b of my contract (available on
> line), promises that Dell *will* reload Windows and other software.
> The service rep told me he had to escalate the issue, and that someone
> would call me back. Obviously, no one has called me back.
>
> So at this point, I've placed five calls to dell, received zero
> technical support from them, diagnosed the problem myself, and Dell
> refuses to fix it. (Two e-mails have also gone unanswered.)
>
> The whole reason I bought Dell computers was because of their
> service. I feel like an idiot. I should have purchased a machine
> from a local dealer.
>
> Am I really just unbelievably unlucky (2 reps hang up on me, a third
> doesn't know how to help, a 4th escalates a call that never gets
> handled)? Or is Dell's good service a thing of the past?
>
> I'll be grateful for any advice this group can offer.
>
> Thank you.
>
> -Joel Hoffman
>
>
>
!