Grrr BSOD grrr SP2 grrr

Well grrr! I've recently finally updated XP to SP2 because of constant nags
from my virus program about XP security holes. Everything ran fine for a
while, then BAM! BSOD!

Regedit, msconfig and other Windows programs will not run unless I put the
extension after it (regedit will not run in either case, but I can start
regedt32.exe). Then the BSOD's started)

One MS report said it happened because of my video driver (upgraded it) the
next was because of Active Disk (I uninstalled iomegaware, but it did not
uninstall Active Disk - which refuses to go away... and I've followed
Iomega's instructions... go figure). Everytime I try to apply Iomega's
patch, BAM... BSOD (getting the idea I'm pasting a lot? Sorry.). The other
14 times (in 2 days) I get no suggestion or file name.

Sometime the machine is up for 5 minutes, sometimes it's up for 30 minutes.
I cannot search in regedt32, even in Safe Mode without BAM... BSOD. Try to
run a virus scan, BAM... BSoD. Anything that's going to run a while, it
WILL crash! Did a simple replace in a rather large HTML document (in a
reliable, steady HTML editor) and it froze and BAM... BSOD! Downloading
drivers for my devices... BAM... BSOD!

I'm downloading all my new drivers at work, and will try to install them
all. I wouldn't mind so much it didn't take BSOD so long to do a dump (is
that what BSOD stands for... Big Stinkin' Ol' Dump? Yuck, yuck.)

I apologize if this sounds more rant than request. I just needed to vent.
Thank you. But if you have any suggestions, I'm open.
9 answers Last reply
More about grrr bsod grrr grrr

    "James Hopper" <jamhop@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Well grrr! I've recently finally updated XP to SP2 because of constant
    > nags
    > from my virus program about XP security holes. Everything ran fine for a
    > while, then BAM! BSOD!
    >
    > Regedit, msconfig and other Windows programs will not run unless I put the
    > extension after it (regedit will not run in either case, but I can start
    > regedt32.exe). Then the BSOD's started)
    >
    > One MS report said it happened because of my video driver (upgraded it)
    > the
    > next was because of Active Disk (I uninstalled iomegaware, but it did not
    > uninstall Active Disk - which refuses to go away... and I've followed
    > Iomega's instructions... go figure). Everytime I try to apply Iomega's
    > patch, BAM... BSOD (getting the idea I'm pasting a lot? Sorry.). The other
    > 14 times (in 2 days) I get no suggestion or file name.
    >
    > Sometime the machine is up for 5 minutes, sometimes it's up for 30
    > minutes.
    > I cannot search in regedt32, even in Safe Mode without BAM... BSOD. Try to
    > run a virus scan, BAM... BSoD. Anything that's going to run a while, it
    > WILL crash! Did a simple replace in a rather large HTML document (in a
    > reliable, steady HTML editor) and it froze and BAM... BSOD! Downloading
    > drivers for my devices... BAM... BSOD!
    >
    > I'm downloading all my new drivers at work, and will try to install them
    > all. I wouldn't mind so much it didn't take BSOD so long to do a dump (is
    > that what BSOD stands for... Big Stinkin' Ol' Dump? Yuck, yuck.)
    >
    > I apologize if this sounds more rant than request. I just needed to vent.
    > Thank you. But if you have any suggestions, I'm open.

    What is the error reported on the BSOD? Please post the error number with
    the parameters and text. This will help us diagnose the problem.

    Kerry

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:51:36 -0700, Kerry Brown wrote:

    > What is the error reported on the BSOD? Please post the error number with
    > the parameters and text. This will help us diagnose the problem.
    >
    > Kerry

    Okay, sorry, I knew someone would need that. One error:
    IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    blah,blah,blah
    STOP - 0X0000000A (0X521F4C82, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0X804DC0AA)

    Then 10 minutes later after rebooting:

    STOP - 0X0000008E (0XC000001D, 0XDB5AFD16, 0XF803FB98, 0X00000000)

    Does that help? I'm trying to upgrade my ATI Radeon 9200 drivers, but it
    won't update and an installation requires the display to be just VGA, which
    the system won't do because it detects the ATI and installs it (the old
    drivers). Working with ATI on it.

    I'm about this close (visual: forefinger and thumb touching) to hook my
    drive to another computer, back up what I can, and format and reinstall XP.
    Like I've never done THAT before!

    Thanx,

    James

    > On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:51:36 -0700, Kerry Brown wrote:
    >>
    >> What is the error reported on the BSOD? Please post the error number with
    >> the parameters and text. This will help us diagnose the problem.
    >>
    >> Kerry
    >
    > Okay, sorry, I knew someone would need that. One error:
    > IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > blah,blah,blah
    > STOP - 0X0000000A (0X521F4C82, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0X804DC0AA)
    >
    > Then 10 minutes later after rebooting:
    >
    > STOP - 0X0000008E (0XC000001D, 0XDB5AFD16, 0XF803FB98, 0X00000000)
    >
    > Does that help? I'm trying to upgrade my ATI Radeon 9200 drivers, but it
    > won't update and an installation requires the display to be just VGA,
    > which
    > the system won't do because it detects the ATI and installs it (the old
    > drivers). Working with ATI on it.
    >
    > I'm about this close (visual: forefinger and thumb touching) to hook my
    > drive to another computer, back up what I can, and format and reinstall
    > XP.
    > Like I've never done THAT before!
    >
    > Thanx,
    >
    > James

    It has the symptoms of a driver or hardware problem but the fact that some
    programs don't work is troubling. I would make sure the computer is malware
    free before going any farther. You may have two problems. The BSOD may be
    caused by a driver or failing hardware. The programs not working may be
    malware. Download Adaware, Spybot, or your favourite antispyware programs.
    Install them and get the latest updates. Boot into safe mode and run some
    scans to make sure you are spyware free. Then boot into safe mode with
    networking and do some online antivirus scans. Make sure you run in safe
    mode long enough that the BSOD will happen. This will help to troubleshoot
    that as well. If the BSOD happens in safe mode you probably have some
    hardware that is failing. It may be heat related. Once you are sure the
    computer is malware free and runs without a BSOD in safe mode it's time to
    start troubleshooting drivers. Post back here for more help at that time.

    Good luck

    Kerry

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:19:24 -0700, Kerry Brown wrote:

    > "James Hopper" <jamhop@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:51:36 -0700, Kerry Brown wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What is the error reported on the BSOD? Please post the error number with
    >>> the parameters and text. This will help us diagnose the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Kerry
    >>
    >> Okay, sorry, I knew someone would need that. One error:
    >> IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >> blah,blah,blah
    >> STOP - 0X0000000A (0X521F4C82, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0X804DC0AA)
    >>
    >> Then 10 minutes later after rebooting:
    >>
    >> STOP - 0X0000008E (0XC000001D, 0XDB5AFD16, 0XF803FB98, 0X00000000)
    >>
    >> Does that help? I'm trying to upgrade my ATI Radeon 9200 drivers, but it
    >> won't update and an installation requires the display to be just VGA,
    >> which
    >> the system won't do because it detects the ATI and installs it (the old
    >> drivers). Working with ATI on it.
    >>
    >> I'm about this close (visual: forefinger and thumb touching) to hook my
    >> drive to another computer, back up what I can, and format and reinstall
    >> XP.
    >> Like I've never done THAT before!
    >>
    >> Thanx,
    >>
    >> James
    >
    > It has the symptoms of a driver or hardware problem but the fact that some
    > programs don't work is troubling. I would make sure the computer is malware
    > free before going any farther. You may have two problems. The BSOD may be
    > caused by a driver or failing hardware. The programs not working may be
    > malware. Download Adaware, Spybot, or your favourite antispyware programs.
    > Install them and get the latest updates. Boot into safe mode and run some
    > scans to make sure you are spyware free. Then boot into safe mode with
    > networking and do some online antivirus scans. Make sure you run in safe
    > mode long enough that the BSOD will happen. This will help to troubleshoot
    > that as well. If the BSOD happens in safe mode you probably have some
    > hardware that is failing. It may be heat related. Once you are sure the
    > computer is malware free and runs without a BSOD in safe mode it's time to
    > start troubleshooting drivers. Post back here for more help at that time.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Kerry

    Did that. Alledgely spy/ad/malware free. This could also be indicative of a
    virus, but can't complete a virus scan (even any accessed from the web).
    Safe mode isn't anymore stable than normal mode. And it's unusual that safe
    mode would crash let alone get a BSOD. That's what's got me worried. I
    thought it may be heat related or memory speed (I don't overclock CPU's).
    I've reduced the memory speed and my CPU (AMD Athlon 1.3GHz) temp is around
    135 - 158 degrees F (57 - 70 degrees C)... detected in BIOS. I have one
    huge Tornado fan on the CPU and an intake fan (bottom front of case) and an
    exit fan (back of case) and the flow of air crosses the CPU.

    At work I have a program (Tune Up Utilities 2004) and it's done a good job
    of cleaning my registry and file garbage. I'll install and run it tonight,
    and if that's unsuccessful, it's reinstallation time, baby!

    Thanks,

    James

> [...]
    > Safe mode isn't anymore stable than normal mode. And it's unusual that
    > safe
    > mode would crash let alone get a BSOD. That's what's got me worried. I
    > thought it may be heat related or memory speed (I don't overclock CPU's).
    > I've reduced the memory speed and my CPU (AMD Athlon 1.3GHz) temp is
    > around
    > 135 - 158 degrees F (57 - 70 degrees C)... detected in BIOS. I have one
    > huge Tornado fan on the CPU and an intake fan (bottom front of case) and
    > an
    > exit fan (back of case) and the flow of air crosses the CPU.
    >
    > At work I have a program (Tune Up Utilities 2004) and it's done a good job
    > of cleaning my registry and file garbage. I'll install and run it tonight,
    > and if that's unsuccessful, it's reinstallation time, baby!

    It sounds like failing hardware. "Cleaning up" the registry is likely to
    cause more problems than it solves with XP. The registry works very
    differently from win9x which needed regular maintenance. If it still
    malfunctions immediately after reinstallation it's almost 100% it's a
    hardware failure problem. I'd go slow on the reinstall doing a lot of
    testing. If your XP CD is pre-SP2 make sure you don't connect to the
    internet without a firewall of some kind. Install XP, then a firewall (or
    better yet use a router to connect to the internet), then SP2, then drivers,
    then any remaining Windows critical updates, then programs with an antivirus
    first on the list. If you do it in that order testing it at every stage
    it'll become obvious where the problem lies.

    Kerry

    To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver
    verifier.
    Steps:
    1) Windows Key + R
    2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
    3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
    4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
    5) Reboot

    There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
    occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
    the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
    'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
    driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

    This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
    will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
    the blue screen will hopefully say something like
    "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
    corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
    If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
    hesitate to e-mail me (remove "online") back. Good Luck,

    Joshua Smith
    OpenGL Test Lab
    Microsoft
    -----

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:11:23 -0700, Joshua Smith [MSFT] wrote:

> [...]
    >> Safe mode isn't anymore stable than normal mode. And it's unusual that
    >> safe
    >> mode would crash let alone get a BSOD. That's what's got me worried. I
    >> thought it may be heat related or memory speed (I don't overclock CPU's).
    >> I've reduced the memory speed and my CPU (AMD Athlon 1.3GHz) temp is
    >> around
    >> 135 - 158 degrees F (57 - 70 degrees C)... detected in BIOS. I have one
    >> huge Tornado fan on the CPU and an intake fan (bottom front of case) and
    >> an
    >> exit fan (back of case) and the flow of air crosses the CPU.
    >>
    >> At work I have a program (Tune Up Utilities 2004) and it's done a good job
    >> of cleaning my registry and file garbage. I'll install and run it tonight,
    >> and if that's unsuccessful, it's reinstallation time, baby!

    Did the verifier and it rebooted as you said it might, so I got into safe
    mode and selected the drivers from a list. My computer kept rebooting. I
    had to deactivate verifier (you didn't mention how to turn it off - I had
    to look it up). Anyway, something else... I tried to install first one then
    several programs and none would install. I would get Cannot Install This
    Software... problem installing... an error occurred during installation...
    the system cannot find the file specified.

    Reinstallation is inevitable. Thank you for all your assistance.

    JWH

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 00:54:26 GMT, James Hopper wrote:

> [...]
    >>>
    >>> At work I have a program (Tune Up Utilities 2004) and it's done a good job
    >>> of cleaning my registry and file garbage. I'll install and run it tonight,
    >>> and if that's unsuccessful, it's reinstallation time, baby!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> James
    >
    > Did the verifier and it rebooted as you said it might, so I got into safe
    > mode and selected the drivers from a list. My computer kept rebooting. I
    > had to deactivate verifier (you didn't mention how to turn it off - I had
    > to look it up). Anyway, something else... I tried to install first one then
    > several programs and none would install. I would get Cannot Install This
    > Software... problem installing... an error occurred during installation...
    > the system cannot find the file specified.
    >
    > Reinstallation is inevitable. Thank you for all your assistance.

    Appreciate the help, and I've found out what the problem was. I took the PC
    to work Saturday and did a complete hardware diagnostics on it. Ran every
    spy/ad/malware program I have and did a full, deep virus scan, defragged
    the drives and after six hours my system checked out A-OK. So the problem?
    Squirrels. Squirrels chewing through the electrical lines. Our power
    suddenly went out and it wasn't breaker related. The power company came out
    and found LOTS of chewed on/through wires on the poles and to homes.

    Go figure. Works like a charm.

    James

    > Appreciate the help, and I've found out what the problem was. I took the
    > PC
    > to work Saturday and did a complete hardware diagnostics on it. Ran every
    > spy/ad/malware program I have and did a full, deep virus scan, defragged
    > the drives and after six hours my system checked out A-OK. So the problem?
    > Squirrels. Squirrels chewing through the electrical lines. Our power
    > suddenly went out and it wasn't breaker related. The power company came
    > out
    > and found LOTS of chewed on/through wires on the poles and to homes.
    >
    > Go figure. Works like a charm.
    >
    > James

    Glad you got it figured out. That's just about the weirdest one I've heard
    yet. You should invest in a UPS.

    Kerry

Blue Screen Windows XP