want to try voltmodding which card??

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
I have a radeon 9800 pro 256 bit card and would likt to try my hand at voltmodding in the future but not now. I would like try it out first on a less expensive video card. What is the least inexpensive ati radeon video card i can try volt modding on before i mess with my new more expensive radeon 9800 pro.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe the Radeon 7000 is a CHEAPER version of the original Radeon VE, which was ATI's answer to the GeForce2 MX.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
If you practice on a used 9500 series card, the mod would be very similar to your 9800 mod...

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
newdude, can you give me a copy of your bios, and i'll see if i can screw around with the voltage. If you don't know how to back up your bios, make a post and i'll give you the instructions.

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
so you mean bios of the video card or the Mobo? I didn't know you can make a copy of your bios for you video card or back it up for that matter.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
1.Download <A HREF="http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=96" target="_new">FLashrom</A>
2.Create bootable floppy
3.reset comp and boot from floppy, then type "a:flashrom.exe -s 0 backup.rom" without quotes, and press enter, this will save your current bios as backup.rom on the floppy.
4.Reset and go into Windows, email the file to me at scott9889358@hotmail.com

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
i downloaded it to my documents and exyracted the files but not sure what to do with it next?? what am i supposed to make a bootiable floopy from?? sorry new to this stuff.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by newdude on 02/27/05 02:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
I downloaded Flashrom and exyracted the files to my documents but not sure what to do with it next?? what/how am i supposed to make a bootiable floopy from?? sorry, I'm new to this stuff.

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Okay I went into the website but this is still new to me. I don't want to do something to screw up. Okay I have the flash rom downloaded, and extracted the files on my documents. I went to the website as I mentioned. Now what am I to do next or on that bootdisk website? Could you explain one step at a time?? I no it's a pain but i have no idea what i'm doing. thanks for your help. So what my next step??

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
OKay in Windows Explorer, right click on A drive and format, then check the create bootable disk option, then press ok.

There you have a bootable floppy, now copy over the flash utility files onto the floppy, reset computer, set bios to boot from floppy, and then follow the instructions i have given you previously

cleeve

Illustrious
A used 9500 PRO would be perfect, wusy.

Great cards to OC, they'll approach 9700 PRO performance overclocked stock, and can go even further when voltmodded...

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Well i fianlly did it right. Last time I downloaded the whole file to the floopy drive, instead of downloading the flashrom to my documents and extracting the files to my floopy disk. Now I noticed you said i wasn't supposed to type in the a: part well i typed that in and instead getting the message bad command file it said

size=53248bytes chexhsum=0x7600

I don't know if that message had anything to do with the video card bios because when i checked my floopy drive to see if it made a copy of my bios it said nothing. I try it again without putting the a: in it. I'll let you know if i get it to work. Thanks for your willingness to help.

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Okay this time I typed it in and it said

flashrom -s <adapter num> <filename> [kbytes except fo rio in bytes]

I don't know if I'm typing it right. Why can i not see the the copy of the bios?

this is what I'm excactly typing in:

flasrom.exe -s 0 backup.rom

I put a space between the exe AND -s then another space inbetween -s 0(thats a zero right and not an O) and another space in between the 0 and backup.rom.

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
yeah but than we would have a high casulty rate in the computer world and the oeverclocking/3d chip forum would have a lack of well, forums.