Removing battery when on AC while gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

shad0wboss

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I've read several threads suggesting either removing the battery or letting it in. I've also read that if the temps on the battery are below 60° then it is fine to leave the battery with AC plugged in while gaming. The thing is, isn't it true that when you're gaming, the battery does get charged and overcharging battery can be an issue? also isn't it better to charge battery when computer is turned off or else it loses its life much faster? I need some experts' comments on this because i just don't want to sacrifise my new laptop's battery life...

it's not an issue of overcharging. lithium ion batteries max charge deteriorates quicker when stored at 100% charge than when stored half charged, and deteriorates faster with increased temps.

If you leave your laptop plugged in and on for extended period of time this is essentially what you are doing. So you can prolong the battery life by removing it if it's going to be sitting on your desk for a week or months like office workers do. If you move it around alot and use the battery, like a college student, I wouldn't bother, although I guess if it gets really hot and your gaming all weekend it wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't bother pulling it several times a day though. That's silly.

Http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

straight from that link

“Should I disconnect my laptop from the power grid when not in use?” many ask. Under normal circumstances this should not be necessary because once the lithium-ion battery is full the charger discontinues charge and only engages when the battery voltage drops. Most users do not remove the AC power and I like to believe that this practice is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.