Netgear support - nonexistent

Just want to share my experience trying to get help with Netgear for
support with their mr814 router. NONEXISTENT. No Support.

Their representation on their website that they provide tech support
via email is 'vaporware' based on my experience.

Repeated emails to support email address have gone unanswered. Proof
that they have absolutely no interest in supporting their product lies
in fact that not even an automatic reply with a 'case' number, like
other legitimate email tech support efforts by other companies exists.

No reply. No support. No effort to support.

Just want to share my experience. Yours may differ, I hope for your
sake.

Tom
6 answers Last reply
More about netgear support nonexistent

    dejausenet@yahoo.com (tom williams) wrote in

    > Repeated emails to support email address have gone unanswered.

    Why don't you just phone them?

    I had a router and switch RMAed with no problems.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    dejausenet@yahoo.com (tom williams) wrote in

    > Just want to share my experience trying to get help with Netgear for
    > support with their mr814 router. NONEXISTENT. No Support.
    >
    > Their representation on their website that they provide tech support
    > via email is 'vaporware' based on my experience.
    >
    > Repeated emails to support email address have gone unanswered. Proof
    > that they have absolutely no interest in supporting their product lies
    > in fact that not even an automatic reply with a 'case' number, like
    > other legitimate email tech support efforts by other companies exists.
    >
    > No reply. No support. No effort to support.
    >
    > Just want to share my experience. Yours may differ, I hope for your
    > sake.
    >
    > Tom

    Honest question, is the support for any of the products in this price range
    any better?

    Reason I ask is for example I have some Linksys gear. I've documented in
    great detail problems I've had with various firmware, even to the point of
    logs, screenshots, and duplicating the issue on multiple hardware from
    Linksys. They've never once replied to me. I've always just been lucky
    enough to have an older firmware I could back-out too, even if it was still
    buggy or slow, it wasn't as bad as the new. For a long time, the best
    Linksys support pages were user run websites, not Linksys own.

    I just get an overwhelming sense that all of the vendors in this low-end
    networking market segment really have no interest in spending much on
    customer support. They'd much rather sell product with zero support.
    Perhaps some are just more obviously poor at it than others.

    "tom williams" <dejausenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Just want to share my experience trying to get help with Netgear for
    > support with their mr814 router. NONEXISTENT. No Support.
    >
    > Their representation on their website that they provide tech support
    > via email is 'vaporware' based on my experience.
    >
    > Repeated emails to support email address have gone unanswered. Proof
    > that they have absolutely no interest in supporting their product lies
    > in fact that not even an automatic reply with a 'case' number, like
    > other legitimate email tech support efforts by other companies exists.
    >
    > No reply. No support. No effort to support.
    >
    > Just want to share my experience. Yours may differ, I hope for your
    > sake.
    >
    > Tom

    All the consumer market manufacturers are the same - they provide the best
    tech support they can afford which usually equates to the least they can get
    away with.

    If you expect top notch support on a router costing <£100 youre gonna be
    dissappointed. Even in the business world when you are paying >£10K for a
    router you still really have to pay extra for a support package with decent
    responset and fast swap out etc...its just the way it is

    "Mr. Grinch" <grinch@hatespam.yucky> wrote in message
    > dejausenet@yahoo.com (tom williams) wrote in
    >
    > > Just want to share my experience trying to get help with Netgear for
    > > support with their mr814 router. NONEXISTENT. No Support.
    > >
    > > Their representation on their website that they provide tech support
    > > via email is 'vaporware' based on my experience.
    > >
    > > Repeated emails to support email address have gone unanswered. Proof
    > > that they have absolutely no interest in supporting their product lies
    > > in fact that not even an automatic reply with a 'case' number, like
    > > other legitimate email tech support efforts by other companies exists.
    > >
    > > No reply. No support. No effort to support.
    > >
    > > Just want to share my experience. Yours may differ, I hope for your
    > > sake.
    > >
    > > Tom
    >
    > Honest question, is the support for any of the products in this price
    range
    > any better?
    >
    > Reason I ask is for example I have some Linksys gear. I've documented in
    > great detail problems I've had with various firmware, even to the point of
    > logs, screenshots, and duplicating the issue on multiple hardware from
    > Linksys. They've never once replied to me. I've always just been lucky
    > enough to have an older firmware I could back-out too, even if it was
    still
    > buggy or slow, it wasn't as bad as the new. For a long time, the best
    > Linksys support pages were user run websites, not Linksys own.
    >
    > I just get an overwhelming sense that all of the vendors in this low-end
    > networking market segment really have no interest in spending much on
    > customer support. They'd much rather sell product with zero support.
    > Perhaps some are just more obviously poor at it than others.

    I recently had occasion to call D-Link support concerning my new DWL-G650
    wireless card. I had to hold for 12 minutes to talk to a tech who stayed on
    the line with me for 65 minutes until my problems were solved. The icing on
    the cake was that he was located in So Cal and English was his first
    language.
    I should add that all of my problems were my own fault and inexperience with
    wireless.

    In message <e7201f41.0404150337.75f85d13@posting.google.com>, tom
    williams <dejausenet@yahoo.com> writes
    >Repeated emails to support email address have gone unanswered.

    I think you were unlucky - I emailed the support address and after a day
    or so got an emailed reply saying that they didn't do support by email.
    They wanted me to call their (premium rate) telephone line. Well they
    don't make money out of email, do they?

    --
    Clive Page

    Clive Page wrote:
    > In message <e7201f41.0404150337.75f85d13@posting.google.com>, tom
    > williams <dejausenet@yahoo.com> writes
    >
    >> Repeated emails to support email address have gone unanswered.
    >

    > I think you were unlucky - I emailed the support address and after a day
    > or so got an emailed reply saying that they didn't do support by email.
    > They wanted me to call their (premium rate) telephone line. Well they
    > don't make money out of email, do they?

    I was even less lucky. It took me months of calls, email and mail before
    they told my I'd have to pay. Then my luck changed. They just responded
    to my BBB complain and agreed to refund the premium support fee.

Support Netgear Email Wireless Networking