How to disable Windows Update Page from automatically open..

Hi,

I have WUS Server installed so my Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP2
clients are updated nightly. For some reason though when my users Open IE,
Windows Update often seizes the home page and opens searching for updates.
Users don't even have the rights to install Updates so it comes up with a red
X.

This is very annoying. I run Mandatory Profiles so my users cannot change
them. The Home Page is set in Group Policy, however, this seems to make no
difference and doesn't stop Windows Update from opening. The Group Policy is
set to automatically Update machines at 2am and the machines are updating
fine.

Does anyone know the reg key I can delete or something to stop this from
happening. It is frustrating my 2400 users to no end.

Thanks

Lara

This one's easy... Open Internet Explorer. Under "TOOLS", "INTERNET
OPTIONS", "ADVANCED", uncheck the box next to, "Automatically Check for
Internet Explorer updates".

That should solve your problem... When this is active, every so many times
that Internet Explorer is opened, it automatically redirects to the Windows
Update site to check for updates... Or maybe it was every so many days..?

"lforbes" <lforbes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> For some reason ... when my users Open IE,
> Windows Update often seizes the home page and opens searching for updates.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lara

Thanks.

I must be blind. I searched the options everywhere and there it was all along.

Thanks

Lara

"FeMaster" wrote:

> This one's easy... Open Internet Explorer. Under "TOOLS", "INTERNET
> OPTIONS", "ADVANCED", uncheck the box next to, "Automatically Check for
> Internet Explorer updates".
>
> That should solve your problem... When this is active, every so many times
> that Internet Explorer is opened, it automatically redirects to the Windows
> Update site to check for updates... Or maybe it was every so many days..?
>

> "lforbes" <lforbes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > For some reason ... when my users Open IE,
> > Windows Update often seizes the home page and opens searching for updates.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Lara

Not a problem... Just glad to help!