jonnoj

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2005
Ok my videocard(Radeon 9600xt) has been making this very loud screech and the only way I can make it go away is by laying the pc down on its side. Does anyone know what could be causing this noise? Also I tried taking the videocard out but it seems to be stuck and I don't see a locking clip on their.(motherboard =BIOSTAR "M7NCD ULTRA" nForce2).

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Is the fan doing this? Is it clean?

Guessing but it sounds like the fan has become unbalanced; at least some fan.

The loving are the daring!

jonnoj

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2005
I also had a friend tell me it could be the fan. It has a very small fan on it so it is difficult to tell if its clean, but it looks clean to me. Anyone else think its the fan?

jonnoj

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2005
Ok I just took it out and there was a little bit of dust in there so I blew it out and then put it back into the pc. But I am still getting the same noise when the pc is standing upright.

Well that mean it's wearing out (probably bearings) and you can probably expect it to die in a while. You might be fine long term, but usually fan noise that can't be fixed with a cleaning is what precedes HSF failure.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
Could also mean the wires are brushing against the fan when it's placed a certain way; check the wires, too. make sure they can't be jiggled into the fan...

True, fogot about that, had that happen with my CPU initially (agp blow-hole fan wire was laying right on the green fan blades).

However after checking that I'd be concerned about failure (always a fear of failure ya' know! :evil: )

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: