Difference in wiring between cabinet and cocktail?

Hello -

After having searched, I really haven't found anything on the matter.
Is there a material difference in wiring between a cabinet and a
cocktail configuration?

Taking Pac-Man as an example, the cocktail has no marquee (but has two
illuminated control panels), and has two joysticks (and only two player
select buttons).

it depends wildly on the game... obviously games that played alternatly with
only a single set of controls will have the biggest differences. Ones that
had two distinct control sets will have fewest. Some have lights, some
don't... (shrug)

<mhedges@prw.net> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> After having searched, I really haven't found anything on the matter.
> Is there a material difference in wiring between a cabinet and a
> cocktail configuration?
>
> Taking Pac-Man as an example, the cocktail has no marquee (but has two
> illuminated control panels), and has two joysticks (and only two player
> select buttons).

<snip>

> But one of the little differences that you often have to look hard to find
> is the wire that tells the motherboard that it's in a cocktail cabinet
> instead of an upright. This is a little trick that enables the same
> motherboard to be used in either cabinet without having to move a DIP switch
> or anything. It's often called "TABLE" or "COCKTAIL". With _Pac Man_ and
> _Ms. Pac_, it's a wire in position R on the main edge connector socket that
> is grounded to tell the board that it's in a cocktail cabinet. This wire is
> not installed in the wiring harness for an upright cabinet.

Thanks for the tip! What about the second joystick wiring? I'd
imagine it's additional wiring on the connector?

<snip>

> But one of the little differences that you often have to look hard to find
> is the wire that tells the motherboard that it's in a cocktail cabinet
> instead of an upright. This is a little trick that enables the same
> motherboard to be used in either cabinet without having to move a DIP switch
> or anything. It's often called "TABLE" or "COCKTAIL". With _Pac Man_ and
> _Ms. Pac_, it's a wire in position R on the main edge connector socket that
> is grounded to tell the board that it's in a cocktail cabinet. This wire is
> not installed in the wiring harness for an upright cabinet.

Thanks for the tip! What about the second joystick wiring? I'd
imagine it's additional wiring on the connector? I just haven't looked
at schematics, so I'm wondering if there's different schematics for
uprights and cocktails, hence the initial post all along.

Thanks again.

Mmm... some snafu in the prior post - my apologies. Both posts should
have been together, i.e.-

Thanks for the tip! What about the second joystick wiring? I'd
imagine it's additional wiring on the connector? I just haven't looked
at schematics, so I'm wondering if there's different schematics for
uprights and cocktails, hence the initial post all along.

Thanks again.

> After having searched, I really haven't found anything on the matter.
> Is there a material difference in wiring between a cabinet and a
> cocktail configuration?

You do have a second set of controls, as well as a Player 2 start button.