How to Stop Outlook Express Automatic Message Compacting

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 that frequently goes into Outlook express
Compacting mode and virtually locks up the laptop for at least half an
hour. I've tried to cancel by hitting the cancel button, but it won't
do it. If I turn the computer off and boot up again it just starts
all over again. Is there any way to only Compact messages when I want
to do so? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

"Larz F. Kremer" <larz.kremer@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 that frequently goes into Outlook express
> Compacting mode and virtually locks up the laptop for at least half an
> hour. I've tried to cancel by hitting the cancel button, but it won't
> do it. If I turn the computer off and boot up again it just starts
> all over again. Is there any way to only Compact messages when I want
> to do so? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> Thanks!

I didn't find this helpful, as I have OE6 SP2, but perhaps you might:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311030

I have no "check box to compact messages in the background" option
available.

Stew

If you don't get an answer in this group, you might want to
try

Larz,
After installing Windows XP SP2, the upgraded version of OE6 is set to
compact the message store after every 100 uses. You should let OE compact
the messages, and don't use your PC until the compaction is done. By
canceling compaction or shutting down your PC during compaction, you risk
the chance that your OE message store might get damaged. And the loss of
messages might occur. At a minimum, it will start the compaction process all
over again, when you run OE the next time.

Stew,
The line " Compact messages in the background" from OE6 maintenance tab was
removed, if you upgraded to XP SP2. For many users, background compaction
caused message store corruption, and the loss of email messages. MS took the
recommendations from users to remove this feature.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message
> Larz,
> After installing Windows XP SP2, the upgraded version of OE6 is set to
> compact the message store after every 100 uses. You should let OE compact
> the messages, and don't use your PC until the compaction is done. By
> canceling compaction or shutting down your PC during compaction, you risk
> the chance that your OE message store might get damaged. And the loss of
> messages might occur. At a minimum, it will start the compaction process
> all
> over again, when you run OE the next time.
>
> Stew,
> The line " Compact messages in the background" from OE6 maintenance tab
> was
> removed, if you upgraded to XP SP2. For many users, background compaction
> caused message store corruption, and the loss of email messages. MS took
> the
> recommendations from users to remove this feature.

Rich -

Thanks for confirming what I suspected (the loss of that feature after
installing SP2).

In light of that, I agree he should boot the machine to desktop and go mow
the grass - and hope compaction completes successfully.

Stew

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Try clicking on the Hekp files within Outlook, most people overlook these
help files and they often give you the answer, you just have to do a little
digging sometimes,

> "Larz F. Kremer" <larz.kremer@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 that frequently goes into Outlook express
>> Compacting mode and virtually locks up the laptop for at least half an
>> hour. I've tried to cancel by hitting the cancel button, but it won't
>> do it. If I turn the computer off and boot up again it just starts
>> all over again. Is there any way to only Compact messages when I want
>> to do so? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>> Thanks!
>

> I didn't find this helpful, as I have OE6 SP2, but perhaps you might:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311030
>
> I have no "check box to compact messages in the background" option
> available.
>

> Stew

I have SP2 OE6 also, and there is no provision for compact messages in the
background on mine either. Hmmmmm.
Larz

> "Larz F. Kremer" <larz.kremer@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 that frequently goes into Outlook express
>> Compacting mode and virtually locks up the laptop for at least half an
>> hour. I've tried to cancel by hitting the cancel button, but it won't
>> do it. If I turn the computer off and boot up again it just starts
>> all over again. Is there any way to only Compact messages when I want
>> to do so? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>> Thanks!
>

> I didn't find this helpful, as I have OE6 SP2, but perhaps you might:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311030
>
> I have no "check box to compact messages in the background" option
> available.
>

> Stew

do you have particularly large dbx files? does it hang while compacting on
a particular newsgroup or folder? perhaps the real problem is that there is
data corruption.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx#EHAA

Larz F. Kremer wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 that frequently goes into Outlook express
> Compacting mode and virtually locks up the laptop for at least half an
> hour. I've tried to cancel by hitting the cancel button, but it won't
> do it. If I turn the computer off and boot up again it just starts
> all over again. Is there any way to only Compact messages when I want
> to do so? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> Thanks!

The only option is to take command of OE and use the maintenance
options. Tools/Options/Maintenance tab/Clean Up Now button. Take your
pick of the four buttons. I normally use the third button to delete
headers and messages without resetting the download flag, then compact.

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Try clicking on the Hekp files within Outlook, most people overlook these
> help files and they often give you the answer, you just have to do a
> little digging sometimes,

This is true, when all else fails, RTFM.

Stew

Dear Mr. Kremer,

I too had the same problem with outlook express compacting. The answer
lies
in the Windows Registry.

Click on Start
Click Run
type in regedit

in the Registry Editor
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Identities > {random ID number}
> Software >
Microsoft > Outlook Express > 5.0 > Dont Show Dialogs

There should be a "Compact Do not Ask Again" REG_DWORD

Double click on its icon.

This opens an Edit DWORD Value Dialogue window
set the Value data: to 0
0 stands for false in computer language 'binary'

this means that if it is false to do not ask again then it will ask
again

Click OK

then close the Registry Editor

PS..

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:03:28 +0000,
jwinters@cyberpanacea-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (CyberPanacea) wrote:

>I too had the same problem with outlook express compacting. The answer
>lies in the Windows Registry.

Actually, the answer is to let Outlook Express complete the compacting of
folders, assuming that the user does not compact the folders periodically on
his own. Not compacting Outlook Express' folders will eventually cause
corruption and will render all of the user's data useless.
--
<<<SgtRich>>>
Desktop: Dimension 8400