ann

Hello!

When Windows XP boots, it begins to install Photo Gallery, which it can't
find. What is this and how can I turn it off?

Thanks!
Ann

Hi Ann,

Click Start, Run, then type in msconfig

Go to the Startup Tab and look there for the Photo Gallery
Installation then uncheck it.

Ron

"Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> When Windows XP boots, it begins to install Photo Gallery, which it can't
> find. What is this and how can I turn it off?
>
> Thanks!
> Ann

ann

Thanks for your reply, Ron. I tried that but didn't know which item it was.
There appear to be only 2 items that are "Windows" items in the start menu --
Is it "tfswctrl"?

Thanks in advance,
Ann

"RonK" wrote:

> Hi Ann,
>
> Click Start, Run, then type in msconfig
>
> Go to the Startup Tab and look there for the Photo Gallery
> Installation then uncheck it.
>
> Ron
>

> "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello!
> >
> > When Windows XP boots, it begins to install Photo Gallery, which it can't
> > find. What is this and how can I turn it off?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Ann

Hi Ann,
Not that one. It is for your CD Burner.

Look very close at each entry and see if any mention of Photo Gallery is
there.
Had you tried to install some type of Photo program that did not finish the
installation ?
If so you could try to reinstall it again.

Let me know.

> Thanks for your reply, Ron. I tried that but didn't know which item it
> was.
> There appear to be only 2 items that are "Windows" items in the start
> menu --
> Is it "tfswctrl"?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ann
>

> "RonK" wrote:
>
>> Hi Ann,
>>
>> Click Start, Run, then type in msconfig
>>
>> Go to the Startup Tab and look there for the Photo Gallery
>> Installation then uncheck it.
>>
>> Ron
>>

>> "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > When Windows XP boots, it begins to install Photo Gallery, which it
>> > can't
>> > find. What is this and how can I turn it off?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Ann

ann

Hi Ron,

> Not that one. It is for your CD Burner.
>
> Look very close at each entry and see if any mention of Photo Gallery is
> there.

Not that I can see. How bout Mpftray?

> Had you tried to install some type of Photo program that did not finish the
> installation ?

No -- I installed Paint Shop Pro but that should've finished. And this
started out of the blue -- it didn't do that immediately after the
installation.

I had the Sass worm recently, and had to reinstall everything, including
Windows. But I'm noticing now that weird little things keep popping up, and
this seems to be yet another one.

Thanks!
Ann

> "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your reply, Ron. I tried that but didn't know which item it
> > was.
> > There appear to be only 2 items that are "Windows" items in the start
> > menu --
> > Is it "tfswctrl"?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ann
> >

> > "RonK" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Ann,
> >>
> >> Click Start, Run, then type in msconfig
> >>
> >> Go to the Startup Tab and look there for the Photo Gallery
> >> Installation then uncheck it.
> >>
> >> Ron
> >>

> >> "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Just thought of something - Do you have any digital camera programs
installed ?

"Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your reply, Ron. I tried that but didn't know which item it
> was.
> There appear to be only 2 items that are "Windows" items in the start
> menu --
> Is it "tfswctrl"?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ann
>

> "RonK" wrote:
>
>> Hi Ann,
>>
>> Click Start, Run, then type in msconfig
>>
>> Go to the Startup Tab and look there for the Photo Gallery
>> Installation then uncheck it.
>>
>> Ron
>>

>> "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > When Windows XP boots, it begins to install Photo Gallery, which it
>> > can't
>> > find. What is this and how can I turn it off?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Ann

Ron, I am having exactly the same issue on my computer. I upgraded XP Home
to XP Pro and now windows tries to install photo gallery and is "looking for
the installation files". It doesn't seem to affect performance at all, but
it is annoying to have to cancel the installation every time I boot the
computer. I looked through the startup in MSCONFIG and wasn't able to find
anything remotely like photo gallery. Any suggestions?

Dan

"RonK" wrote:

> Hi Ann,
> Not that one. It is for your CD Burner.
>
> Look very close at each entry and see if any mention of Photo Gallery is
> there.
> Had you tried to install some type of Photo program that did not finish the
> installation ?
> If so you could try to reinstall it again.
>
> Let me know.
> Ron
>

> "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your reply, Ron. I tried that but didn't know which item it
> > was.
> > There appear to be only 2 items that are "Windows" items in the start
> > menu --
> > Is it "tfswctrl"?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ann
> >

> > "RonK" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Ann,
> >>
> >> Click Start, Run, then type in msconfig
> >>
> >> Go to the Startup Tab and look there for the Photo Gallery
> >> Installation then uncheck it.
> >>
> >> Ron
> >>

> >> "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

OK I read some other posts....Ann if you have HP Imaging software loaded
(usually it comes with HP's Multifunction printers -- I have the 7310) it is
looking for the photogallery.msi file located in:

X:\setup\photogallery

where X is the letter for your CDROM drive. Just have the disk in your
drive when you reboot. That should take care of it.

Hope this helps, it worked for me.

Dan

"Dan G" wrote:

> Ron, I am having exactly the same issue on my computer. I upgraded XP Home
> to XP Pro and now windows tries to install photo gallery and is "looking for
> the installation files". It doesn't seem to affect performance at all, but
> it is annoying to have to cancel the installation every time I boot the
> computer. I looked through the startup in MSCONFIG and wasn't able to find
> anything remotely like photo gallery. Any suggestions?
>
> Dan
>
> "RonK" wrote:
>
> > Hi Ann,
> > Not that one. It is for your CD Burner.
> >
> > Look very close at each entry and see if any mention of Photo Gallery is
> > there.
> > Had you tried to install some type of Photo program that did not finish the
> > installation ?
> > If so you could try to reinstall it again.
> >
> > Let me know.
> > Ron
> >

> > "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for your reply, Ron. I tried that but didn't know which item it
> > > was.
> > > There appear to be only 2 items that are "Windows" items in the start
> > > menu --
> > > Is it "tfswctrl"?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Ann

ann

Thank you SOOO much, Dan. Yes, I just had to reload Windows because of a
virus and it started doing this out of the blue. Yep -- driving me crazy!

Thanks again,
Ann