scootch

Distinguished
May 15, 2003
I recently purchased a 6600GT. But after about 5 minutes of running, my monitor shutsdown (green light goes orange light).

I've examined everything hopeing to eliminate variables or hope it helps diagnose the problem.
1. it's not my monitor. When I use my Geforce 3, it works fine.
2. my powersupply is 400watt
3. my mobo is 4x AGP, the card is 8x agp.
4. the computer seems to hard lock as well as monitor shutting down. When my monitor shut down, I tried rebooting the computer by keyboard. (window -> up -> enter -> enter).

Am I missing something here? the answer doesn't seem to obvious to me.
1. if it was Powersupply problem, wouldn't it restart my whole system?
2. if it's hardlock, why is my monitor shutting down?

anyone have any similar experience? maybe I got a bad card?

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Is that PSU new? Brand name?

Have you plugged in an extra power connector to the graphics card?

Does the graphics card fan spin?

Did u reseat the CPU when ur case was opened?

You sure everything is plugged in, like the CPU fan?

More details plz

The loving are the daring!

scootch

Distinguished
May 15, 2003
1. PSU is not new. been using it for 3 years or so I believe. brand is Deer computer co.

2. yup.. I made sure to plug it in.

3.to ensure that the fan is spinning I did the finger test... my finger hurt, so I'm assuming it was spinning :)

4.yes, I installed a new CPU when I put in the graphics card. but the cpu works just fine when I reverted back to Geforce 3

5.seems everything is plugged in... the computer is running at 26C and 32C under load (case temp at 30C). my room is cold and the CPU is underclock due to my motherboards inability to detect the CPU properly. even though the new BIOS I installed SAID it would detect 2400+... I'm guessing it's because the new CPU is a barton core. (I ordered a new mobo. should be here monday)

my computer specs are:
CPU: AMD athlon 2400+ mobile (266mhz fsb, 1.45v, 45watt, OEM)(the mobo is unable to detect this, so it is running at 800mhz as unknown processor)
mother board: Soltek - SL-75DRV4 (VIA KT266A)
RAM: 2, 512mb pc2100 Kingston (timing 2.5-3-3-6)
vid card: AOpen, Aeolus 6600 GT 128mb DDR III (my inno3d geforce 3 64mb works fine)
Hard-drive: Samsung and maxtor, both 40gb.
some generic network card
Sountblaster live value.

G

Hmm, that PSU sounds funny to me, what's the wattage on it? It may be that the grafix card is too demanding for it, in which case its time to get a new psu :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>