What's a non-working DK worth?

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

I recently got in touch with the general manager at a local arcade here
in Albuquerque, NM and asked him if he would be willing to sell an old
Donkey Kong upright they had (the blue cab). The game had been working
a few years back but ever since I started going back there, it had
always been turned off with a sign that said it was "out of order". The
machine looks to be in good shape with minor wear and tear. Some of the
t-molding is messed up toward the back corners and the CP looks kind of
dirty but nothing bad. I don't know what's wrong with the machine other
than the paper that said "out of order" although I have a feeling it
just needs a cap kit or something. Anyway, the guy got back in touch
with me and asked me to make an offer. What is this machine worth and
how much should I offer?

Thanks in advance,

Jared

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Thanks for the advice. I wrote him back offering him $50 and my
reasoning behind my offer. (non-working, costs of repair, costs of
working machine, etc.) Here's hoping he'll accept!!

Jared

That's awesome Jared...Best of luck with getting the DK for $50!

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

I think it's always best to meet in person to talk a deal, if possible.
That way if your personable enough, he may just give you a hell of a deal.
Through an email it's easy to turn down a low ball offer.
It all boils down to how bad he wants it gone.
Some op's need to replace the game with a different one, so he would be
looking for a few $ to help do so.
Plus they usually don't want to hear about how much work it needs, etc..
They know what they have. Just talk the deal for the game as-is dead.
Just note if it is complete or not and possible cabinet damage, what's about
the only things you could bring attention to, to help lower price. Don't
bicker on minor wear and tear.
Good luck,

Troy,

"Jared" <jaredhobbs@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently got in touch with the general manager at a local arcade here
> in Albuquerque, NM and asked him if he would be willing to sell an old
> Donkey Kong upright they had (the blue cab). The game had been working
> a few years back but ever since I started going back there, it had
> always been turned off with a sign that said it was "out of order". The
> machine looks to be in good shape with minor wear and tear. Some of the
> t-molding is messed up toward the back corners and the CP looks kind of
> dirty but nothing bad. I don't know what's wrong with the machine other
> than the paper that said "out of order" although I have a feeling it
> just needs a cap kit or something. Anyway, the guy got back in touch
> with me and asked me to make an offer. What is this machine worth and
> how much should I offer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jared

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm hoping I can get this machine at
the price I offered but I'll pay more if needs be. (At most $175 or
$200?) Anyway, The email I wrote was to the marketing manager who in
turn will relay my message to the general manager, who has final say in
the matter. Wish me luck!!

Jared

Whenever they ask you to "make an offer", look out. They are almost always
looking to get way more that the game is worth. A non working, unrestored DK
is worth about $100 if it's complete. Maybe $200 if you really really want
one bad. The op is probably thinking $350 to $400. Maybe more.

Brian

"Jared" <jaredhobbs@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently got in touch with the general manager at a local arcade here
> in Albuquerque, NM and asked him if he would be willing to sell an old
> Donkey Kong upright they had (the blue cab). The game had been working
> a few years back but ever since I started going back there, it had
> always been turned off with a sign that said it was "out of order". The
> machine looks to be in good shape with minor wear and tear. Some of the
> t-molding is messed up toward the back corners and the CP looks kind of
> dirty but nothing bad. I don't know what's wrong with the machine other
> than the paper that said "out of order" although I have a feeling it
> just needs a cap kit or something. Anyway, the guy got back in touch
> with me and asked me to make an offer. What is this machine worth and
> how much should I offer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jared

Must be one helluva arcade if they have a "marketing manager" and a
"general manager"! Do they have a Board of Directors too? :)

Good luck but if he don't bite at 50.00 I would go higher. I got mine for
200.00 ( I wanted one bad...lol) in what sounds like the same shape as the
one you are looking at. I tossed in about 100.00 and my time which I don't
count anyway because its a hobby not a business. So for about 300.00 bucks
and some labor of love I have a beautiful working game. Still a great deal
in my books.........John

"Jared" <jaredhobbs@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently got in touch with the general manager at a local arcade here
> in Albuquerque, NM and asked him if he would be willing to sell an old
> Donkey Kong upright they had (the blue cab). The game had been working
> a few years back but ever since I started going back there, it had
> always been turned off with a sign that said it was "out of order". The
> machine looks to be in good shape with minor wear and tear. Some of the
> t-molding is messed up toward the back corners and the CP looks kind of
> dirty but nothing bad. I don't know what's wrong with the machine other
> than the paper that said "out of order" although I have a feeling it
> just needs a cap kit or something. Anyway, the guy got back in touch
> with me and asked me to make an offer. What is this machine worth and
> how much should I offer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jared

these days it seems like the non working games are selling 4 more and
the fully working games keep selling for less and less. everyone thinks
they can be a tech these days so they buy em broke. too bad people keep
making "how to do cap kits" and all the other "become a tech overnight
and fix anything" schemes they sell on ebay. it kills the whole scene.

Sounds like they're just fishin' if you contacted them. I doubt they'll
take 50 bucks for it, if they're paying 4 grand for new machines, but it's
possible. I had a local arcade here have signs on some of their games for
sell one time when I was a teenager, I ended up with a Double Dribble (in a
Dragon's Lair cabinet) for $75.00 because that's what they were trying to
sell it for!

Good luck

Ron
"Jared" <jaredhobbs@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently got in touch with the general manager at a local arcade here
> in Albuquerque, NM and asked him if he would be willing to sell an old
> Donkey Kong upright they had (the blue cab). The game had been working
> a few years back but ever since I started going back there, it had
> always been turned off with a sign that said it was "out of order". The
> machine looks to be in good shape with minor wear and tear. Some of the
> t-molding is messed up toward the back corners and the CP looks kind of
> dirty but nothing bad. I don't know what's wrong with the machine other
> than the paper that said "out of order" although I have a feeling it
> just needs a cap kit or something. Anyway, the guy got back in touch
> with me and asked me to make an offer. What is this machine worth and
> how much should I offer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jared

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

The arcade is one of those family fun center places that has mini golf,
go-karts, laser tag, bumper boats/cars, etc. So yes, they have a
general manager as well as a marketing manager and I wouldn't be
surprized if they had a board of directors too! Anyway, thanks for the
comments and the advice on the greedy ops. I'll make sure I'm not
ripped off and if the guy doesn't want to sell at my target price, I'll
shop elsewhere. I recently (within the past month or so) came in
contact with a local route op that told me he's got some old cabs in
storage he was going to dump. He told me that before he got rid of them
that he'd be willing to sell me one or two. I haven't met the guy in
person et, just over the phone, and I haven't seen the cabs yet either.
If he has some cabs in decent shape that he's going to get rid of
because of space restrictions in his storage shed, I'll be happy to
take them off his hands! I'll keep the board up to date.

Jared

Lesson #2 about ops: BE CAREFULL OF WHAT YOU EXPRESS INTEREST IN!
Just becasue you managed to track one down and discuss the purchase of
items doesn't mean he's interested. The Greedy op will talk trash and
build up your hopes as he picks your brain to find out what you
consider valuble.
As you name the games or what ever it is your interested in, the greedy
op will remember these names and items, then get on the net and
research the value and most likely sell the items you want to someone
else.
Then by the time you track him down again, provided your lucky enough
to do that, the stuff you expressed interest in will be either one of
three things 1) for sale on e-bay 2) already sold to someone else, or
3) in the local land fill.
The average joe-shmoe off the streats means nothing to an op.
Unless you happen to flash a large wad of high denomination bills
around as your casualy talking, you will not get his full interest.
The only two things ops understand are
1) dollar signs and 2) profits...thats all.....

CA$H
Act quickly
Don't nit pick
load it up