Can't connect to Internet in Normal Mode with Service Pack..

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Internet
  • Windows XP
June 8, 2005 11:16:01 PM

I recently installed Service Pack 2, and ever since I installed it I haven't
been able to connect to the Internet in normal mode. When I booted it up the
first time, it started dialing my connection which I thought was odd because
it usually never dials a connection. The connection never materialized and I
haven't been able to get on the Internet since in normal mode. I managed to
get it to never dial a connection, but the problems persisted. I ran a
system restore on my PC and restored my PC to the restore point created just
before the installation of Service Pack 2 and I was able to connect to the
Internet in Normal Mode. Thinking the problem was solved, I reinstalled
Service Pack 2 and the Internet wasn't working again in Normal Mode. Is
there any way I can make the Internet work in Normal Mode using Service Pack
2. I've tried practically everything I could think of and in desperate need
for some technical assistance right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : connect internet normal mode service pack

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:24:52 AM

How to troubleshoot possible causes of Internet connection problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314095

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"sherlock" wrote:

| I recently installed Service Pack 2, and ever since I installed it I haven't
| been able to connect to the Internet in normal mode. When I booted it up the
| first time, it started dialing my connection which I thought was odd because
| it usually never dials a connection. The connection never materialized and I
| haven't been able to get on the Internet since in normal mode. I managed to
| get it to never dial a connection, but the problems persisted. I ran a
| system restore on my PC and restored my PC to the restore point created just
| before the installation of Service Pack 2 and I was able to connect to the
| Internet in Normal Mode. Thinking the problem was solved, I reinstalled
| Service Pack 2 and the Internet wasn't working again in Normal Mode. Is
| there any way I can make the Internet work in Normal Mode using Service Pack
| 2. I've tried practically everything I could think of and in desperate need
| for some technical assistance right now.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:27:04 AM

Ok, I ran those tests and I was able to successfully ping my ip address and
get name resolution. So I am definitely connected to the Internet. However,
I still can't get online in normal mode. The option to turn use a default
gateway was already checked off, so that wasn't the problem.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> How to troubleshoot possible causes of Internet connection problems in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314095
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "sherlock" wrote:
>
> | I recently installed Service Pack 2, and ever since I installed it I haven't
> | been able to connect to the Internet in normal mode. When I booted it up the
> | first time, it started dialing my connection which I thought was odd because
> | it usually never dials a connection. The connection never materialized and I
> | haven't been able to get on the Internet since in normal mode. I managed to
> | get it to never dial a connection, but the problems persisted. I ran a
> | system restore on my PC and restored my PC to the restore point created just
> | before the installation of Service Pack 2 and I was able to connect to the
> | Internet in Normal Mode. Thinking the problem was solved, I reinstalled
> | Service Pack 2 and the Internet wasn't working again in Normal Mode. Is
> | there any way I can make the Internet work in Normal Mode using Service Pack
> | 2. I've tried practically everything I could think of and in desperate need
> | for some technical assistance right now.
> |
> | Any help would be greatly appreciated.

June 9, 2005 10:02:23 PM

This may help..
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

"sherlock" <sherlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 934EC57-3752-4015-BC02-7D5334C5E3F4@microsoft.com...
| Ok, I ran those tests and I was able to successfully ping my ip
address and
| get name resolution. So I am definitely connected to the Internet.
However,
| I still can't get online in normal mode. The option to turn use a
default
| gateway was already checked off, so that wasn't the problem.
|
| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
|
| > How to troubleshoot possible causes of Internet connection
problems in Windows XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314095
| >
| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| > Microsoft Newsgroups
| >
| > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:

| > "sherlock" wrote:
| >
| > | I recently installed Service Pack 2, and ever since I installed
it I haven't
| > | been able to connect to the Internet in normal mode. When I
booted it up the
| > | first time, it started dialing my connection which I thought was
odd because
| > | it usually never dials a connection. The connection never
materialized and I
| > | haven't been able to get on the Internet since in normal mode.
I managed to
| > | get it to never dial a connection, but the problems persisted.
I ran a
| > | system restore on my PC and restored my PC to the restore point
created just
| > | before the installation of Service Pack 2 and I was able to
connect to the
| > | Internet in Normal Mode. Thinking the problem was solved, I
reinstalled
| > | Service Pack 2 and the Internet wasn't working again in Normal
Mode. Is
| > | there any way I can make the Internet work in Normal Mode using
Service Pack
| > | 2. I've tried practically everything I could think of and in
desperate need
| > | for some technical assistance right now.
| > |