question - roaming between access points

howdy all,

I'm getting ready to deploy a wireless network. It's the first one
I've done larger than a single access point, or maybe an AP and a
wireless bridge.

People with wi-fi PDAs will be using this network and moving between
warehouses. The physical layout is 3 long warehouses in a row, and
I'm deploying one AP in the center of each.

My question is: will users experience problems switching from one AP
to another, and what settings are ideal for such an arrangement where
the users roam?

Thanks for any relevant input,

Jim Peterson
Indy Tech

JKP@att.net (Gersen) wrote in news:c0f58cbf.0404150902.5610bc85
@posting.google.com:

> My question is: will users experience problems switching from one AP
> to another, and what settings are ideal for such an arrangement where
> the users roam?

1. Make sure the SSIDs are the same

2. Make sure the encryption key is the same

3. Place each AP on it's own channel (1, 3, 6). More information about
channel selection is here:

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/972261

The clients will automatically find the strongest AP as your roam building
to building.

You may also want to implement a Radius/802.1x security system so that
there are no static WEP keys being used. Your WiFi access points have to
support 802.1x authentication to take advantage of this system.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)