New videocard won't install. Please Help

jonnoj

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2005
I just bought a PNY Geforce 6600GT cause my old radeon 9600xt was dieing on me and when I tried to install it the fan spins and the rest of the pc starts but the monitor stays on standby and just gives me a blackscreen. I tried calling customer support but they are closed at the moment. I am running on a 350 watt psu which is the minimum but I don't have many things hooked up to it, only 1 hardrive 1 cdrom drive, a floppy, and 3 80mm fans. And yes I did plug in the Y connector. So anyone have any idea what it could be?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some power supplies are better than others. The ratings are never accurate.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jonnoj

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2005
Thats true but I disconnected all the fans and the cd-rom and the floppy and it still didn't work. It can't be using up that much power.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Its possible that its not puting out the power the card needs. Get somthing new. Asipre, Antech, Fortron, Thermaltake, OCZ, all great brands..

I have an Aspire 500W for $40 at Frys. Rails are stable and everything is perfect! Great value.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
I have the PNY 6600 GT AGP card also, but have had nothing but sweet frame rates since day one.

Your 350 psu would barely qualify for sufficient even if it were a high-end psu. I'm running a dual fan Super Micro 550 server psu and have had no power issues.

When you installed your card, you followed PNY's directions to the letter right? How many beeps do you hear when you try to boot?

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>