Is this a good system? Can I use it instead of a Dimension?

PowerEdge SC420
Pentium4 520, 2.8GHz, 1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
256MB DDR2, 400MHz,1X256, Single Ranked DIMMs
40GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM, Hard Drive
Onboard NIC
48X, Compact Disk Drive
Standard Windows Keyboard,Gray
Logitech PS/2 2-button Mouse with Scroll
$298 with free shipping

for $10 more you can upgrade the 256MB 400MHz memory to 256MB 533MHz
memory, it's 1 DIMM
and for $10 more you can upgrade the HD from 40GB to 80GB SATA 7.2KRPM
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=04&kc=03347&oc=S20302s

I was looking for a Dimension system (maybe 4700) when I saw this.
Any idea what sound and video do you get? Can I assume onboard stuff?
They want $69 more for a Conexant modem but I prefer to add a USR from
Newegg afterwards.

Thanks, Jim

"jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> PowerEdge SC420
> Pentium4 520, 2.8GHz, 1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
> 256MB DDR2, 400MHz,1X256, Single Ranked DIMMs
> 40GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM, Hard Drive
> Onboard NIC
> 48X, Compact Disk Drive
> Standard Windows Keyboard,Gray
> Logitech PS/2 2-button Mouse with Scroll
> $298 with free shipping
>
> for $10 more you can upgrade the 256MB 400MHz memory to 256MB 533MHz
> memory, it's 1 DIMM
> and for $10 more you can upgrade the HD from 40GB to 80GB SATA 7.2KRPM
> http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=04&kc=03347&oc=S20302s
>
> I was looking for a Dimension system (maybe 4700) when I saw this.
> Any idea what sound and video do you get? Can I assume onboard stuff?
> They want $69 more for a Conexant modem but I prefer to add a USR from
> Newegg afterwards.
>
> Thanks, Jim

Jim,

The PE 400SC and (to a lesser extent) 420SC have been sort of coveted as a
"bare bones" system to be upgraded into desktop gaming systems.

Cons:

1) no monitor
2) needs RAM
3) needs CDRW (at a minimum)
4) no operating system
5) needs PCIe graphics card

Pros:

1) In theory, once all the goodies are added, you'll have a system that is
likely more gaming capable than a 4700.

Check out the 4700 deal here with a 17" LCD. Needs another stick of RAM, a
floppy (if you desire), and your USR modem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311030

Has your OS and everything but the RAM, video card, floppy and modem.

Stew

On 22 Mar 2005 17:34:52 -0800, jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked) wrote:

> I was looking for a Dimension system (maybe 4700) when I saw this.
> Any idea what sound and video do you get? Can I assume onboard stuff?

From your link:

The PowerEdge SC420 is ideal for your first server & network.
Note: For server use only; CANNOT BE USED AS A DESKTOP.

Sounds to me like it's *not* going to stand in for a 4700.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

Yeff wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2005 17:34:52 -0800, jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked) wrote:
>
>> I was looking for a Dimension system (maybe 4700) when I saw this.
>> Any idea what sound and video do you get? Can I assume onboard stuff?
>
> From your link:
>
> The PowerEdge SC420 is ideal for your first server & network.
> Note: For server use only; CANNOT BE USED AS A DESKTOP.
>
> Sounds to me like it's *not* going to stand in for a 4700.

I've been using an SC400 with similar specs as a desktop computer. In this
case there is no O/S, and that is why "for server use only." I would have
purchased something else if I did not have a valid O/S to install.

Ed

> 1) no monitor

I don't think I shall need one but in any case I could add an E773S (17
inch) for $135.

> 2) needs RAM

Probably that's good. Dell wants $120 for another 256MB stick.
I looked at crucial and while I couldn't find the 420, a 256MB stick of
533MHZ DDR2 was $60.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?module=DDR2+PC2-4200

> 3) needs CDRW (at a minimum)

I should be able to find a cheap writer at newegg

> 4) no operating system

I'm thinking w2k from ebay.
[linux anyone on a poweredge?]

> 5) needs PCIe graphics card

any idea what it would cost? ~50 bucks?
For WWW, WP, DVDs, light stuff, no gaming.

The other thing I was thinking was the sound.
Does the poweredge have anything at all?
I looked but didn't saw anything.
I'm thinking a soundblaster live?

> Check out the 4700 deal here with a 17" LCD. Needs another stick of
RAM, a
floppy (if you desire), and your USR modem:

I assume you meant something like this
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=1d47h8bt&s=bsd
It's $649 with a $149 rebate. It would want ram, video, sound, modem
too.
It seems though the poweredge is more expandable?

Jim

Was there any sound or you have to install a soundcard?
How about the video?

Thanks, Jim

Jim,

Sounds like you've got a plan for the 400SC. Go for it. I'd verify whether
it needs a PCIe or AGP card before buying.

Stew

> Can't you add a video card at your own?
> I see two PCIe and three PCI slots at
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_sc420?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~page=1#tabtop

There is PCI. As for PCIe, note that the slots are x8 and x1. Some
people have reported that the SC420's x8 slot utilizes a connector
that can accept a x16 card IF a keying block is cut out of the
connector or a notch is cut into the x16 card edge.

jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked) schrieb:
>>4) no operating system
>
> I'm thinking w2k from ebay.
> [linux anyone on a poweredge?]

Yep, me. At work, we have several Poweredges, almost all run Debian
Linux without problems (although it's not supported by Dell), among
these are old 6450 as well as brand new 750 and 1850.

Olaf

I assume Dell does this to discourage video card installation?

Thanks, Jim

Found a helpful FAQ: http://aaltonen.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2058

Q: What expansion slots does the SC420 have?
A: Three PCI, one PCIe x1, and one PCIe x8. Note: The PCI slots do not
support 3.3-V expansion cards. Only 5-V PCI expansion cards are
supported.

Q: Does the SC420 have an AGP slot?
A: No.

Q: Does the SC420 come with onboard sound, like the 400SC did?
A: Sorry. No. You will have to install a sound card.

Jim