Is this a good system? Can I use it instead of a Dimension?

PowerEdge SC420
Pentium4 520, 2.8GHz, 1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
256MB DDR2, 400MHz,1X256, Single Ranked DIMMs
40GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM, Hard Drive
Onboard NIC
48X, Compact Disk Drive
Standard Windows Keyboard,Gray
Logitech PS/2 2-button Mouse with Scroll
$298 with free shipping

for $10 more you can upgrade the 256MB 400MHz memory to 256MB 533MHz
memory, it's 1 DIMM
and for $10 more you can upgrade the HD from 40GB to 80GB SATA 7.2KRPM
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=04&kc=03347&oc=S20302s

I was looking for a Dimension system (maybe 4700) when I saw this.
Any idea what sound and video do you get? Can I assume onboard stuff?
They want $69 more for a Conexant modem but I prefer to add a USR from
Newegg afterwards.

Thanks, Jim
11 answers Last reply
More about good system dimension

    "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > PowerEdge SC420
    > Pentium4 520, 2.8GHz, 1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
    > 256MB DDR2, 400MHz,1X256, Single Ranked DIMMs
    > 40GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM, Hard Drive
    > Onboard NIC
    > 48X, Compact Disk Drive
    > Standard Windows Keyboard,Gray
    > Logitech PS/2 2-button Mouse with Scroll
    > $298 with free shipping
    >
    > for $10 more you can upgrade the 256MB 400MHz memory to 256MB 533MHz
    > memory, it's 1 DIMM
    > and for $10 more you can upgrade the HD from 40GB to 80GB SATA 7.2KRPM
    > http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=04&kc=03347&oc=S20302s
    >
    > I was looking for a Dimension system (maybe 4700) when I saw this.
    > Any idea what sound and video do you get? Can I assume onboard stuff?
    > They want $69 more for a Conexant modem but I prefer to add a USR from
    > Newegg afterwards.
    >
    > Thanks, Jim

    Jim,

    The PE 400SC and (to a lesser extent) 420SC have been sort of coveted as a
    "bare bones" system to be upgraded into desktop gaming systems.

    Cons:

    1) no monitor
    2) needs RAM
    3) needs CDRW (at a minimum)
    4) no operating system
    5) needs PCIe graphics card

    Pros:

    1) In theory, once all the goodies are added, you'll have a system that is
    likely more gaming capable than a 4700.

    Check out the 4700 deal here with a 17" LCD. Needs another stick of RAM, a
    floppy (if you desire), and your USR modem:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311030

    Has your OS and everything but the RAM, video card, floppy and modem.

    Stew

    On 22 Mar 2005 17:34:52 -0800, jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked) wrote:

    > I was looking for a Dimension system (maybe 4700) when I saw this.
    > Any idea what sound and video do you get? Can I assume onboard stuff?

    From your link:

    The PowerEdge SC420 is ideal for your first server & network.
    Note: For server use only; CANNOT BE USED AS A DESKTOP.

    Sounds to me like it's *not* going to stand in for a 4700.

    --

    -Jeff B.
    zoomie at fastmail dot fm

    Yeff wrote:
    > On 22 Mar 2005 17:34:52 -0800, jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked) wrote:
    >
    >> I was looking for a Dimension system (maybe 4700) when I saw this.
    >> Any idea what sound and video do you get? Can I assume onboard stuff?
    >
    > From your link:
    >
    > The PowerEdge SC420 is ideal for your first server & network.
    > Note: For server use only; CANNOT BE USED AS A DESKTOP.
    >
    > Sounds to me like it's *not* going to stand in for a 4700.

    I've been using an SC400 with similar specs as a desktop computer. In this
    case there is no O/S, and that is why "for server use only." I would have
    purchased something else if I did not have a valid O/S to install.

    Ed

    > 1) no monitor

    I don't think I shall need one but in any case I could add an E773S (17
    inch) for $135.

    > 2) needs RAM

    Probably that's good. Dell wants $120 for another 256MB stick.
    I looked at crucial and while I couldn't find the 420, a 256MB stick of
    533MHZ DDR2 was $60.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?module=DDR2+PC2-4200

    > 3) needs CDRW (at a minimum)

    I should be able to find a cheap writer at newegg

    > 4) no operating system

    I'm thinking w2k from ebay.
    [linux anyone on a poweredge?]

    > 5) needs PCIe graphics card

    any idea what it would cost? ~50 bucks?
    For WWW, WP, DVDs, light stuff, no gaming.

    The other thing I was thinking was the sound.
    Does the poweredge have anything at all?
    I looked but didn't saw anything.
    I'm thinking a soundblaster live?

    > Check out the 4700 deal here with a 17" LCD. Needs another stick of
    RAM, a
    floppy (if you desire), and your USR modem:

    I assume you meant something like this
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=1d47h8bt&s=bsd
    It's $649 with a $149 rebate. It would want ram, video, sound, modem
    too.
    It seems though the poweredge is more expandable?

    Jim

    Can't you add a video card at your own?
    I see two PCIe and three PCI slots at
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_sc420?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~page=1#tabtop

    Jim

    Was there any sound or you have to install a soundcard?
    How about the video?

    Thanks, Jim

    Jim,

    Sounds like you've got a plan for the 400SC. Go for it. I'd verify whether
    it needs a PCIe or AGP card before buying.

    Stew

    > Can't you add a video card at your own?
    > I see two PCIe and three PCI slots at
    > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_sc420?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~page=1#tabtop

    There is PCI. As for PCIe, note that the slots are x8 and x1. Some
    people have reported that the SC420's x8 slot utilizes a connector
    that can accept a x16 card IF a keying block is cut out of the
    connector or a notch is cut into the x16 card edge.

    jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked) schrieb:
    >>4) no operating system
    >
    > I'm thinking w2k from ebay.
    > [linux anyone on a poweredge?]

    Yep, me. At work, we have several Poweredges, almost all run Debian
    Linux without problems (although it's not supported by Dell), among
    these are old 6450 as well as brand new 750 and 1850.

    Olaf

    I assume Dell does this to discourage video card installation?

    Thanks, Jim

    Found a helpful FAQ: http://aaltonen.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2058

    Q: What expansion slots does the SC420 have?
    A: Three PCI, one PCIe x1, and one PCIe x8. Note: The PCI slots do not
    support 3.3-V expansion cards. Only 5-V PCI expansion cards are
    supported.

    Q: Does the SC420 have an AGP slot?
    A: No.

    Q: Does the SC420 come with onboard sound, like the 400SC did?
    A: Sorry. No. You will have to install a sound card.

    Jim

Dell Dimension Computers