Slow WinXP Pro startup with WPA enabled

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 15, 2004 10:44:35 PM

I have a Proxim 802.11B/G combo card, got the latest drivers and
client utility and enabled the WPA security feature. I am ->NOT using
XP's "Wireless Zero Configuration" (the service is disabled). I do
have fix 826942 "Wireless update rollup package" installed. I'm
running an older IBM TP600E.

When I first power up, it takes a LONG time (on the order of 3 to 5
minutes) before the system is fully initialized.

Externally, I see the Norton NAV icon in the system tray with a red
"!", my Sygate firewall hasn't started, and the icon for the Proxim
configuration utility isn't there yet. As things churn along,
eventually the firewall starts up and the Proxim configuration
utility starts and the network is useable.

The MS 826942 fix claims to address the "You Experience a Long Delay
When You Connect to a Wireless Network" problem, but only in the
context of Wireless Zero configuration.

What else should I be looking at?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@visi.com
April 18, 2004 4:20:40 AM

I'm having the sort of the same problem with my laptop, i have a binatone
WL1000 pcmcia and running xp pro and it takes a while before the system will
see the card, if i take the card out of the laptop, the laptop loads fine,
thinking its a driver issue, becasue it does the same in my other laptop too
?

Does anyone know of other drivers that will work with this card ?

!