Continual reboot-HELP

OK....where to start....
I have a Maxtor 40 gig HD w/sp2. Whenever I tried to burn a CD,
Windows would crash and restart. Now, it continually restarts and
won't let me into Windows at all. Safe Mode, Last Good Config,
Debugging all will not work- the computer just starts the POST over.

I can see the black screen that says "Windows XP Professional" w/the
little green bar showing that its loading, but its just when the screen
should change to the blue login screen that it restarts.

I have another Maxtor 40 gig HD that I loaded XP onto, hoping I could
slave the old HD to it and retrieve important docs, but when I was
installing SP1, the dang thing froze, and it too now goes through this
endless boot process.

So, I installed XP onto this old, old 8 Gig HD (lost the jumpers many
years ago). I won't install any updates or anything until someone can
tell me what the heck is going on.

My Specs:

Windows XP Professional
Aopen AK73 Pro Motherboard (BIOS is Award 6.00PG)
Creative Live! Sound card
ATI All-in-Wonder video card
TDK 24/10/40x CD/RW
Athlon 1.3 G processor
512 MB RAM (RAM is good, I checked it with Ramtest86)

Any help will be greatly appreciated

--
omakbobPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Have you checked to see if you have MSBlaster worm in your system? if its
been there awhile and not cleaned out completely then the constant rebooting
will happen.

"omakbob" wrote:

> OK....where to start....
> I have a Maxtor 40 gig HD w/sp2. Whenever I tried to burn a CD,
> Windows would crash and restart. Now, it continually restarts and
> won't let me into Windows at all. Safe Mode, Last Good Config,
> Debugging all will not work- the computer just starts the POST over.
>
> I can see the black screen that says "Windows XP Professional" w/the
> little green bar showing that its loading, but its just when the screen
> should change to the blue login screen that it restarts.
>
> I have another Maxtor 40 gig HD that I loaded XP onto, hoping I could
> slave the old HD to it and retrieve important docs, but when I was
> installing SP1, the dang thing froze, and it too now goes through this
> endless boot process.
>
> So, I installed XP onto this old, old 8 Gig HD (lost the jumpers many
> years ago). I won't install any updates or anything until someone can
> tell me what the heck is going on.
>
> My Specs:
>
> Windows XP Professional
> Aopen AK73 Pro Motherboard (BIOS is Award 6.00PG)
> Creative Live! Sound card
> ATI All-in-Wonder video card
> TDK 24/10/40x CD/RW
> Athlon 1.3 G processor
> 512 MB RAM (RAM is good, I checked it with Ramtest86)
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated
>

> --
> omakbobPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

cowpoke

Distinguished
May 12, 2005

I am having the same problem. How do you check to see if you have a worm if
you can't get the system booted up?

My system did a couple of random reboots a couple days ago but then settled
down. This morning as I was reading my email it did the reboot thing again
but this time it just keeps recycling into a reboot and trying safe mode,
last known good configuration, or any of the other selections makes not
difference at all. If I let it cycle without making a selection it will try
to boot windows normally several times and then lock up.

My virus software is EZ trust and there has been no lapse in protection.

Asus P4S533X motherboard. P4 1.8ghz. 2 hard drives. No new hardware or
software added for some time.

Thanks for any help.

Claude