x800xl

G

Question: Does anyone have any info on how well the BBA or sapphire x800xl OCs? I was considering getting one, and would even consider adding a new hsf like that zalman 700cu. Any info at all would be appreciated :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>

G

Using those criteria, the overclocking capabilities of the X800XL were confined to 9 MHz (409 MHz as opposed to the default 400 MHz) or 2.25% for the core and 29 MHz (519 MHz as opposed to the default 490 MHz) or 5.9 % on the memory side of the hardware
Wow, that sounds pretty minimal. I am OC noob, so what kind of performance increase would that translate too? Also, do you think adding a better HSF would help at all?

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>

G

you know I also found <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzAwLDEw" target="_new"> this </A> article on it, sounds more promising. Although it is a reference card, so what's the likelihood that would affect the OC ability in a biased way (in order to make their product look better)?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
they are using ATI-Tool ! haha!!

I personally used that utility to try overclocking my card and it just plain didnt work. My 9800pro will go up to 425core/370mem and ATItool flunked out way lower... if i set my card to those speeds and let ATI-Tool test for artifacts, it found my card to be stable. but if i let it try to do it by itself, it would stop at like 400 core and somethign quite a bit slower for the memory too

-------
Work sucks.

G

Anyone have any recommended utilities to use?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
to overclock your card?

I usually do it manually.. like raise the core 5-10mhz, then run 3dmark or a game to see if any artifacts appear (snowy miscolored pixels, wierd stretched polygons stretching across the scree) after a while. Sometimes it takes up to 5-10 minutes for the card to heat up enough for this to happen.. I usually push the card far enough where they will appear within a minute or two, and then lower the clock speed down by 10mhz to be on the safe side.

ATI-Tool is the only utility that i know of that has a built in overclocker.. then again, ive always done it manually so other people might know of some others. Btw, its pretty safe to overclock this way... the worst that can happen is your comptuer will lock up.. you just reboot and lower things a bit. No harm done. My old cards that I overclocked like crazy are still running to this day in other computers.

-------
Work sucks.