Major Graphics Problems

pert_of_jb

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
I have a major problem with my display
Last night all of a sudden during a game, the graphics became garbled and you could only see small sections of the screen clearly.
When returning to windows there are five vertical lines running down the screen plus fuzzy graphics behind the cursor. Upon restart these problems persist at the boot screen, with random garbled graphics on dos text and also the Dell Logo. I tried using a different monitor but it had the same effect. Hence it must be something to do with the actual computer. After opening the case and cleaning out the dust and checking connectors, when I turned the comp back on the problem seemed okay. However upon a screen resolution change the garbled graphics returned in the same way. Today when i turned the computer on the graphics are still garbled and now it would will not boot to windows the screen just goes black (sometimes the monitor goes to standby). The computer will run in safe mode however but half the screen is garbled still.

I have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Catalyst 5.1 so I tried upgrading to 5.2 but the computer could not install the new drivers - the screen keeps going black after restart.

I noted elsewhere on the board that this may be due to graphics card failure, is this the most likely cause. Is the only option to try another card and then if so purchase a new card? What card would you recommend for a DellDimension 8250, which is at least better to my Radeon 9700 Pro I think my motherboard only supports AGP 8x.
Thanks

Rupert

cleeve

Illustrious
Sounds like your 9700 PRO is dead, unfortunately.

Try another card, it'll probably work, in which case buy a new card.

How much do you have to spend on one? For about $200 your best bet is a 6600GT, if you don't have that much your best bet is another used 9700 PRO on ebay...

pert_of_jb

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
Thanks for the reply, I am gonna try my sisters ATI Radeon 9700 (standard) and see if that works. If so will hopefully get a new card. As I'm in the UK I was looking at spending about £200-£250 so that about $450. Some mid to high range cards could be Radeon x800 XT or the Geforce 6800. Any other cards I should be considering?

cleeve

Illustrious
The 6800, 6800GT, and X800XT - all great AGP cards. Buy the best one you can afford.

pert_of_jb

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
Thanks for the reply.
I thought it was the graphics card. After testing on another card to see whether that would help - which it did, i blew some of the dust off the old card, and replaced it into the system, and now it seems to work?
Do you think the card could be on its way out or just dust?!?
Also some, but not all my icons on the desktop + start menu either do not appear or are garbled or have lines down them! Any idea?
Thanks

G

New card, or at least try a buddies card first to make sure :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

that card is going to silcon heaven, just let it go.
You've had some good times...remeber the time on Doom3? Yes you remember don't you, all those pixels.

Right now, your feeling angry, confused, and sad. But believe me, those feelings will subside with time.

...it was only a fúcking graphics card :lol:

G

LOL funny Ned :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

cleeve

Illustrious
Well, dust can mess up things. I had a mobo do down temporarily because of dust.

For $hits and giggles, blow the card, and you're motherboard (especially the AGP slot) with an air compressor. if you're lucky that's the problem...

If not, you're lucky anyway, because you have an excuse to get an X800 or 6800 based card. :)

TRENDING THREADS