Yesterday my Toshiba laptop would not start Windows XP:
windows\system32\config\system is "missing or corrupt"

It suggests I use a Windows disk to "repair" the install. I tried this,
but all I get is a bunch of unhelpful(?) DOS type tools.

I then thought I'd try to recover my files then wipe the disk and start
again. To get at my files, I installed a second Win-XP OS. This let me
see the "Documents and Settings" folder, but when I click on my profile
inside it I get "access denied". I can view my wife's files (all 3 of
'em!)... but not my own. Is there anyway to fix this mess?

Please reply online as this e-mail account is full of spam.

Scott A

Hi Scott,

It's a permissions issue. Please see this link on "taking ownership" of a
folder:
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

As to your original problem, these are the steps that you need to take when
that happens:

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry [Q307545]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/