Missile Command finally works!

Hey guys,

I'm trying to repair / restore a Missile Command Arcade machine. I
was able to buy a PCB from someone a few days ago. When I hooked it up,
the board worked perfectly.

I've been playing it the past couple of days and it works beautifully,
and the original monitor doesn't have any screen burn that I can see.

A couple things I'd like to fix though:

1 - On the upper marque, there shows what looks like two speakers.
Except only the one on the left produces any sound. Short of taking the
thing apart again just for that, does anyone know if both speakers are
supposed to be powered? Is there a volume anywhere?

2 - It seems that only the Player 1 and Player 2 switches light up. The
three rocket buttons don't light up, but they seem to be the same kind
of switch. Are they supposed to light up?

3 - The light-bulb sockets for the coin return button, does anyone know
what type of light bulbs go in here? It looks identical to the turn
signal bulbs on an old VW Bus.

4 - Is there a repair or rebuild kit for my trackball? It seems to work
pretty decent, but it gets a little bit jittery sometimes.

5 - The console panel that I have, there seems to be some sort of
aftermarket sticker that's been put over it. Like a replacement of some
sort. It says Willis Industries. Does anyone know where I might be able
to get an original?

6 - The side art seems to be peeling at the bottom, and at the very
corners by the control deck. Otherwise.. it's perfect. What's the best
way to repair this?

I guess that's it.... if anyone know's anything else I should know, I'd
appreciate it.

This is the first Arcade game I've ever tried to fix up. I've had this
thing for like 7 years, it worked for the first year, I sent the board
off to be repaired, and the place went out of business and kept my
board. I finally found this one, and now it's working!!!

Thanks!!!!

Todd

On 19 Jul 2005 20:21:48 -0700, "Todd82TA" <toddjasp@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Hey guys,
>
> I'm trying to repair / restore a Missile Command Arcade machine. I
>was able to buy a PCB from someone a few days ago. When I hooked it up,
>the board worked perfectly.

Congrats! Best game ever made. :)

>I've been playing it the past couple of days and it works beautifully,
>and the original monitor doesn't have any screen burn that I can see.
>
>A couple things I'd like to fix though:
>
>1 - On the upper marque, there shows what looks like two speakers.
>Except only the one on the left produces any sound. Short of taking the
>thing apart again just for that, does anyone know if both speakers are
>supposed to be powered? Is there a volume anywhere?

Both speakers are supposed to work. Open coin door and look to the
upper left for volume control (inside the game not on the door).

>2 - It seems that only the Player 1 and Player 2 switches light up. The
>three rocket buttons don't light up, but they seem to be the same kind
>of switch. Are they supposed to light up?

The fire buttons do NOT light up.

>3 - The light-bulb sockets for the coin return button, does anyone know
>what type of light bulbs go in here? It looks identical to the turn
>signal bulbs on an old VW Bus.

You can pick those up at Radio Shack provided they still sell light
bulbs. Mine are GE 44.

>4 - Is there a repair or rebuild kit for my trackball? It seems to work
>pretty decent, but it gets a little bit jittery sometimes.

If the rollers have an hour glass shape to them they need to be
replaced. Good luck finding a set though. Someone named Rick
Schieve made new rollers a long time ago but I think he stopped
selling them and someone else took over.

>5 - The console panel that I have, there seems to be some sort of
>aftermarket sticker that's been put over it. Like a replacement of some
>sort. It says Willis Industries. Does anyone know where I might be able
>to get an original?

There is a very nice repro available but it will never be "perfect"
since the original CP graphics were painted on.

>6 - The side art seems to be peeling at the bottom, and at the very
>corners by the control deck. Otherwise.. it's perfect. What's the best
>way to repair this?

Mine is like a silk screen paint, it can get scratched but I don't
think it will peel off? Is it possible you have aftermarket art?

George

Hey Tom,
Welcome to this great hobby! Let me warn you real quick you are going to get
flame sprayed with all those newbie questions but don't sweat it. It is
because it gets boring around here and that's the only thing some people can
do to occupy their time. Anyway not everyone is like that here a lot will
help you out and those are some of the best people I have ever met. Here are
a few links to help you get started.

http://arcarc.xmission.com/ A ton of info go here and pull up the PDF Manuel
that will help you a great deal.

http://www.therealbobroberts.com/ Parts and a ton of tips from a very
experienced person.

http://arcadeshop.com another place for parts.(Yes Trackball rebuild kits
are sold at both these links.

http://arcadresoration.com Info and lots of great links.

You should have sound from both speakers so check your wiring the vol
control is located inside the coin door area but controls both speakers the
same (this game is Mono)

I am not sure on a MC if the Missile buttons light up or not check the
manual for that and the type of bulbs for the coin door. They are usually
6vdc or 12vdc bulbs but again I don't have this game so check the manual.

Anyway this should keep you busy for now. Good Luck to you and watch out
this is a very addicting hobby you can not stop at 1....lol

"Todd82TA" <toddjasp@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm trying to repair / restore a Missile Command Arcade machine. I
> was able to buy a PCB from someone a few days ago. When I hooked it up,
> the board worked perfectly.
>
> I've been playing it the past couple of days and it works beautifully,
> and the original monitor doesn't have any screen burn that I can see.
>
> A couple things I'd like to fix though:
>
> 1 - On the upper marque, there shows what looks like two speakers.
> Except only the one on the left produces any sound. Short of taking the
> thing apart again just for that, does anyone know if both speakers are
> supposed to be powered? Is there a volume anywhere?
>
> 2 - It seems that only the Player 1 and Player 2 switches light up. The
> three rocket buttons don't light up, but they seem to be the same kind
> of switch. Are they supposed to light up?
>
> 3 - The light-bulb sockets for the coin return button, does anyone know
> what type of light bulbs go in here? It looks identical to the turn
> signal bulbs on an old VW Bus.
>
> 4 - Is there a repair or rebuild kit for my trackball? It seems to work
> pretty decent, but it gets a little bit jittery sometimes.
>
> 5 - The console panel that I have, there seems to be some sort of
> aftermarket sticker that's been put over it. Like a replacement of some
> sort. It says Willis Industries. Does anyone know where I might be able
> to get an original?
>
> 6 - The side art seems to be peeling at the bottom, and at the very
> corners by the control deck. Otherwise.. it's perfect. What's the best
> way to repair this?
>

> I guess that's it.... if anyone know's anything else I should know, I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> This is the first Arcade game I've ever tried to fix up. I've had this
> thing for like 7 years, it worked for the first year, I sent the board
> off to be repaired, and the place went out of business and kept my
> board. I finally found this one, and now it's working!!!
>

> Thanks!!!!
>
> Todd

I really appreciate all the links. I was able to find basically
everything I wanted from these links. I'm planning on totally fixing up
this machine. It's actually in pretty decent shape, but I want to try
to make it perfect.

Unfortunately, I saw several things that I didn't know that I needed,
that now I want... like a new cocktail Jamma cabinet, a Galaga, and a
Moon Patrol... so... looks like you guys can check another one off for
the Arcade Adddicts Support Group.

Haha..

Thanks!

Todd

Thank you for the reply!

You've answered quite a few questions that I wasn't sure about.

I'm pretty sure mine is paint also, but if I remember correctly, the
place where it was stored before I owned it... the shop had flooded to
within a couple of inches. I don't see any water damage at all inside
the cabinet, but the VERY bottom of the sides of the machine seem to be
coming apart a little bit, (it looks like particle board). The damage
to the wood is VERY insignificant, and the paint is otherwise ok, but
it's just started to peel a little bit down there. I'm wondering if I
shouldn't try to maybe cut it 1" from the bottom, glue it, and then
strip / paint the bottom 1". The side art is otherwise perfect except
for a scratch or two.

Thanks!