JFromNazareth

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2005
Hi all.
I own nice rig(FX55,ATI X800XT PE and so on),but
I need another PC(dont ask why lol)
I wanna pull it together with best case,PSU,Med.Drivers,
that i can get for now.

About the GPU-i dont know for now(wich i can get for now???)
When is ATI version of SLI gonna be out
When is R520 -out,cause i wanna trow in R520x2 in this1?

Any ideas?Regards.

armax1980

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
I would wait and see if SLI is here to stay. So far SLI doesn't work as well as it was advertised to be and gigabyte(i think) is experimenting with dual gpu on a single card that would perform as good as SLI.

and gigabyte(i think) is experimenting with dual gpu on a single card that would perform as good as SLI.
Not experimenting, actually selling (I saw one on the shelf at MemoryExpress last weekend here in Calgary), it's the 3D1;

<A HREF="http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050111/index.html" target="_new">http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050111/index.html</A>

Anyways dual vpu on one card is not as flexible as dual card AMR/SLI, it does have additional performance benifits, but the flexibility may keep it even more of a niche item than . Performance issues for now are a concern, but they areslowly being addressed, like the run-time compiler work for the last generation. And FYI, the 3D1 uses SLI (well really SFR/AFR just like 2 cards) to do it's job.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
All that nice equipment and money and u use ATI?
Gay.

Well, hope you enjoy running the king of AMD chips, the Nforce4 :smile: :smile: :smile:

[*dons asbestos underwear*]

King of AMD? Only if Via and ATI are God and Lord.

nVidia's got nice features, but that's only to cover up their lack of performance.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

JFromNazareth

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2005
Ned_Flanders-i got nice job(lol)-and maybe need spend some$$$ on my english-but but what i know?

I read some news on ASUS working on mobo on ATI chipset,you think its gonna get run 2 NVidia?

And game is ATIX800XT PE much worst then 6800GT?lol
Do u think AMR gonna run only on ATI based mobos?

Thanks for responses.Regards.

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
Lack of performance?

Last I checked the DFI NF4 was top dog in the A64 realm. You got a better stock runner or overclocker?

VIA is crap. ATI? Time will tell, but my prediction: better off sticking with "VPUs".

Well it's to yank your chain bud. But if we're talking seriously, all the bechies sofar show the nF4 below the other two (I'm probably still going to buy nF4 one though), but really it's like 100% versus 99.99% versus 99.98%. The thing about these AMD64 boards is that the there is next to no performance difference. If anything it's the various Bios and Tweaking options from the Board Mfrs that matter. And yes that DFI is a damn fine example of nice tweak features.

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
I know you were joking, I'm just incredibly tired and getting cranky as hell. Time for sleep.

I'm pretty sold on that DFI.. I'm pulling out my Asus just to make the swap.

I'm not sure it will increase my CPU OC (doubt it, but I've seen seemingly "magic" results come back from ppl who switched from other brands to the lanparty)... but I'm going to do it for better stock performance and maybe a more stable/higher OC.

Its a worthy swap and PITA effort.
Esp if it supports dual cores like everyone is saying.

In the main forum I haunt these days (as you put it...) there are true ATI fanboys who honest to god are hell bent on using the RS480 and ATI SLI.. just doesnt make sense to me.. stick with tried and true NF4.. and if you dont mind the noise/heat of dual cards then might as well get the now available, quickly maturing NV SLI.

these corporations have no loyalty to us, why be loyal to them??.. i dont think ppl realize that until they grow up and their balls drop.

Yeah time for sleep, just gonna post a thing about the ATI AGPs first.

I would like the RS481 (480 actually had those USB issues, so they respun the chip), but only for the multi-monitor SurroundView possibilities that MSI talked about bringing to the table. But as I see PCIe working, whatever they can do with the integrated solution using the PCIe lane to communicate, you should be able to do it across an SLI solution. Of course that's just a theory for now, but sofar no one knows/announces Squat about the possibilities of ever doing that.

The main thing to look for for me is features and sofar nV's nF4 delivers more, just wish someone could mix the Azallia audio or even Via's, with Ati's integrated video, with nV's SataII w/ NCQ (which unfortunatelty I've been hearing issues about on WD drives [and I want a Raptor on this new build]). Having more features would be great for all of them.

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
Ya actually in the other thread I wrote about your surround view fetish.

You mustve reponded here before I was done dictating (just sounds cool) that post.
But ya, its there..

I'd like to see a "super board" with ATI DX9 onboard with the NF4 features as well.. that'd be pretty cool.
Or I'd like to see NV come out with a model of NF4 with onboard for ppl interested or business use.

In all honesty dood, I dont use half the features on my Asus. I hate most of them.. i use the ide raid of course. but i have no use for the NV NIC and i hate NV firewall.. i'd suggest not using it.
i use my firewall router anyway. then i dont need nortons, Gate's, or NVs (which all rely on the uber fast modern A64s that have tons of extra clock cycles to spare, although NV's does the smallest extent of all CPU usage).

i mostly scope for audio in a motherboard (after the basics like overclocking ability ect of course), and the DFI currently is top dog there as well with their Karajan module.

Supposedly sounds pretty nice and performs well for a onboard.
I'm opposed to PCI sound cards cuz i hate creative. Lets not go there though, but I've had my share from the original sound blaster 16 to AWE64.
onboard or die for me.

even tho i might not get a better OC on the DFI (always hope that I turn out like those other guys who switched over), as stated i'll get better stock performance and that Karajan module just takes the cake for me.

I've heard the same thing on some of the NF4s and certain hard drives.. I use IDE RAID so I'm not affected.. but someone in another forum did tell me I'm supposed to be having problems... /shrug

latest NF4 drivers from NV seem to work pretty well.. those and a updated bios and no issues.
i didnt have issues tho with the NF4 drivers that were essentially beta on the NF4 CD.. before NV had NF4 drivers on their site even (they were only avail on the shipping CDs for some time)

most of these ppl with "problems" are f'n noobs man.. trust me. ive seen it time after time. it might have been legit but the new NF4 platform drivers are great.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by game on 03/03/05 07:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
DFI is one of the best motherboard makers i have ever seen, i am still using my DFI lanparty nforce 2 ultra v:B best overclocker i have ever used.

the DFI nf4 must be excelent.

i need more money from work.....

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
yeah im convinced to get it.. the final blow is that karajan module.

its a pci slot adapter that takes part of the sound hardware off the board, and might be good quality DACs, Im not exactly sure. either way it beats all the other NF4s on sound.

dfi is the sh!t. and im tired of seeing doubters and haters to this fact.
:smile:

pauldh

Illustrious
I can see the extreme OC'ers like Fugger, Opp, etc using the DFI, but I don't see it offereing me much that the MSI couldn't offer. The tweaks/voltages available of the DFI are just sick! Nice..yes, very, but I can't imagine taking advantage of them myself. I still personally would buy the MSI, which overclocks almost as well and has better features. If you are going to put $500 into cooling your overclocking rig, yeah, don't buy anything but the DFI, but for most of us air cooled/basic water cooled overclockers, the MSI is just as good an OC'er from what I have read. Offering better feature set, feature performance, and hardware <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=19" target="_new">SB Live 24-bit even</A>, which is better than that Realtek 850, even though the Karajan does do an amazing job on CPU utilization.

At least read <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=21" target="_new">this whole review</A>, plus [H]'s two review's before you count the MSI out.

Anyway, I should add, one of those two mobos, would definately be my choice if were buying an SLI mobo. Nothing against the DFI at all, it's one of a kind. But in the end I only see it offering something to the extreme few that the MSI can't do. So many folks would be better off with the MSI.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 03/03/05 09:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
Errrm nah, msi is not better considering i have owned both top line socket A boards, the support of DFI with continous bios support and telephone help, DFI rule big time. msi have let me down in the past but that does not stop them from being good manufacturers.

But even normal aircooled OC the DFI is better and really stable motherboard manufacturer to choose over an msi board.

i wouldent really put the 2 in the same bracket anymore, the amount of features and extras which came with my Mboard was ridculous. its a DFI Lanparty nforce ultra 2 Version B. DFI pack a lot more into the box than MSI do trust me, search and compare (google it).

pauldh

Illustrious
Don't need to google it, I've linked two major reviews on it. You have the MSI K8N Neo4/SLI?

Reading the Anand review with the 4 SLI mobos, and reading [H]'s reviews of both the MSI and DFI SLI mobos, I don't know how you can say the DFI is the far better air cooled overclocker. [H] hit a 375 fsb [htt] on the MSI, and Anand only found the DFI to go 6MHz higher.

I don't doubt the DFI is a great mobo and unbeatable in extreme overclocking, I just think many people jump on the bandwagon assuming it's the best mobo for them when the MSI could OC as well for them and offer features the DFI doesn't.

Anyway, i ahve posted them many times before, but reading [H]'s review of the MSI and DFI, they seem way more blown away by the MSI; just look at the conclusions. Now read Anand's comparison, as as expected the MSI just about keeps up in overclocking despite not offering as many OC tweaks such as 4v mem settings. And the rate them both with Golds.

I think if you discredit the MSI K8N neo4/SLI because of not liking one past MSI mobo, or because of liking DFI, then that's really not advice to be passing on to others. I can understand you personally sticking to it as i have with Epox(I generally avoid them myself), but it's not advice that should apply to everyone for each mobo they make. Again nothing against the DFI, just hate people ignoring reviews that state the MSI is a/the top contender, and sticking to a DFI only policy for everyone. Just to repeat it again, For some folks the DFI is the best, for others, the MSI would be better.

Anyway, read these 3 reviews and tell me how you can ignore the MSI and push DFI as the only SLI mobo to buy? The MSI rocks! although yup a small number of extreme OCer's should definately go with the DFI instead.

<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzE0LDc=" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzE0LDc=</A>
<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzE3LDc=" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzE3LDc=</A>
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=21" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=21</A>

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Actualy im happy so far with my DFI LANPARTY nF4 Ultra-D. [\quote]

I was looking at the same board, but hard OCP mentioned that DFI motherboards keep failing long term stress tests. That is they crash after 16 hours of 100% CPU utilization.

It won't hurt most, but I keep my PC running 24/7 and have kept it at 100% for as long as three days, so 16 hours won't cut it?

Not I am not sure what to get, might just wait for next batch of chipsets.

Have you noticed any long term stability problems under continual heavy work load?

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
well, what do you get in the box of ur msi, google my motherboard and see what i got.

yes show me a msi pack which does that much, plus 6mhz is 6mhz. better is always better matey. every mhz counts for the money.

pauldh

Illustrious
Is 6MHz worth what you give up? And [H] hit it's highest speeds on the MSI, so is it still a DFI win when the MSi was stable a 375 fsb and operational at a 400 fsb? All else equal sure why not go for the 6MHz. What about the more advanced featureset and better feature performance of the MSI? What about the possible fluke/ possible not of the DFI failing long term stress testing as was just mentioned (I didn't want to go there as i like the DFI and personally wasn't too discouraged by that report) And There is more to features than what comes in the box, those are accesories; it's what included on the motherboard. Neweggs pics are usually pretty good at showing everything in the box, but look over the Anand review to see the features.

Again, I'll add, the DFI is sweet, and if I was an extreme OC'er, I'd spend the $225 on one. But for $185, the MSI is just as appealing to me for some of the same/some different reasons, and it costs $185... $40 less. I wouldn't fault anyone for buying either, just hate the MSI to be ignored unless it's for the right reasons. Personally, I wouldn't buy the Asus or Gigabyte though, only because I feel one of these two is a the better buy.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 03/03/05 05:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pauldh

Illustrious
And that isn't the first DFI that has failed they say, but I really don't count that against DFI too much. Remember, they tested one SLI board. If they got there hands on a few, and more than one failed, while no other brand did, I'd be worried. To me I never run 24/7 100%, so it wasn't a big concern except for wondering WHY it can't handle it. That part bugs me or would bug me, especially in your case.

Can I ask why you want the DFI? No doubt because people talk it up here, as they should as the extreme overclocking mobo with the best OC tweaks in the bios. But why is it you want the DFI over say the MSI or other boards? Did you read the [H] MSI review?

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
I'd do anything to avoid having SB Live audio in my rig. I'll take realtek thx.

Thats the killer for me. I avoid creative like the plague.
Esp the el-sh!t SBLive.

I'll take a look at the MSI reviews..but overall for me I'm upgrading for OC ability, stock performance and sound.

The DFI has the best results in the OC dept. Yes it appears that from my current OC results on my CPU that the DFI/MSI wouldnt help my OC.. but <i><b>theres more to a good OCer than just voltage settings. The components on the DFI are better quality and result in a higher and more stable OC than the other boards.</b></i>

Sure, it appears my Asus got the max out of my CPU as it appears your board got the most out of your CPU.. switch to the DFI and I bet that changes unless you truley did get a bad CPU.
But I've seen it time and time again, the boards being the limiting factor.

Stock performance the DFI leads, check the AT review. So even if I dont get a better OC, I'll get better performance than the other boards.

And the sound..in my eyes the Karajan cant be beat. Better than true onboard AND its free of Creative.

I dont think anyoen would be better off with the MSI. I'd say its good enough that if you had the MSI, there wouldnt be any reason big enough for most people to switch to the DFI.

But even though there wouldnt be a big enough reason, buying from the get-go everyone would be better off with the DFI.

The DFI helps with air cooled/basic OCs more than you think. They have special Oskar Wu (the engineer from Abit responsible for the IC and the Max series that DFI now has) bios, his work is exceptional.

I was an Abit diehard forever until I heard about his move to DFI. Over time you'll just see more domination from DFI now that they have him.

MSI and the others is great, for those not in the know... or denial :wink:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by game on 03/03/05 06:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>