Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Touchpad & Internal Speakers for Inspiron 8200

Tags:
  • Dell
  • Touchpad
  • Inspiron
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
March 23, 2005 1:41:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I just recently purchased an Inspiron 8200 (Used and from E-Bay). I had to
change out the hard drive, and put in a Toshiba 30G. I've loaded the OS
(Windows XP Home Edition), and put in the Dell CD that came with the laptop.
My problem and question is that I am unable to get the touchpad or mouse by
the keyboard to work. If I want to use a mouse, I'm using an external PS/2.
I've checked the system BIOS, and verified that the mouse setting was
"Touchpad / PS-2". I've reset the BIOS with an "ALT F", and have also
installed the Chipset Driver from the utilities CD and then the Alps
Pointing Device driver from the same CD. Another problem that I have is
that the PC speaker is not working either. I can use headphones, but that's
it. . . Any thoughts on fixes? Supposedly all these items worked before
the prior HD crashed.

Any ideas that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Mike

PS: I know that this is a repeat question. However, the response that I
had was to try to install the driver's from the utilites CD. How hard would
it be to open the casing to check the physical connectors?

Thanks again!!!

More about : touchpad internal speakers inspiron 8200

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 10:58:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Bob" <Show@all.com> wrote in message news:Sj70e.416$Mt5.319@fed1read01...
>I just recently purchased an Inspiron 8200 (Used and from E-Bay). I had to
>change out the hard drive, and put in a Toshiba 30G. I've loaded the OS
>(Windows XP Home Edition), and put in the Dell CD that came with the
>laptop. My problem and question is that I am unable to get the touchpad or
>mouse by the keyboard to work. If I want to use a mouse, I'm using an
>external PS/2. I've checked the system BIOS, and verified that the mouse
>setting was "Touchpad / PS-2". I've reset the BIOS with an "ALT F", and
>have also installed the Chipset Driver from the utilities CD and then the
>Alps Pointing Device driver from the same CD. Another problem that I have
>is that the PC speaker is not working either. I can use headphones, but
>that's it. . . Any thoughts on fixes? Supposedly all these items worked
>before the prior HD crashed.
>
> Any ideas that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> Mike
>
> PS: I know that this is a repeat question. However, the response that I
> had was to try to install the driver's from the utilites CD. How hard
> would it be to open the casing to check the physical connectors?
>
> Thanks again!!!

I am on the run and can't look up the url, but Dell has a really good
manual for taking these things apart in the documentation area of the
support site.

Did you download the current drivers from Dell? Most have been through a
number of updates and that could be part of the problem. Is the BIOS up to
date?

You could also try the support forums on Dell for the I8200. There are some
really sharp folks over there who are well versed in this particular model.

I've got one and wish they had continued up dating this chassis as it is
a great portable desktop.

I presume you installed the sound drivers. I've read that it should work
with the Windows ones, but mine never has. It has needed the ones from the
Dell site.

There are some connectors that apparently work loose for some folks,
with luck maybe that or drivers will do the trick. Good luck, hope this
helped a little.


--
Thomas M. Goethe
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 4:59:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

All Dell docs found here;
http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentati...

"Thomas M. Goethe" <goethe11@lycos.com> wrote in message
news:3ad7fsF5uk25bU1@individual.net...
> "Bob" <Show@all.com> wrote in message
> news:Sj70e.416$Mt5.319@fed1read01...
>>I just recently purchased an Inspiron 8200 (Used and from E-Bay). I
>>had to change out the hard drive, and put in a Toshiba 30G. I've
>>loaded the OS (Windows XP Home Edition), and put in the Dell CD that
>>came with the laptop. My problem and question is that I am unable to
>>get the touchpad or mouse by the keyboard to work. If I want to use a
>>mouse, I'm using an external PS/2. I've checked the system BIOS, and
>>verified that the mouse setting was "Touchpad / PS-2". I've reset the
>>BIOS with an "ALT F", and have also installed the Chipset Driver from
>>the utilities CD and then the Alps Pointing Device driver from the
>>same CD. Another problem that I have is that the PC speaker is not
>>working either. I can use headphones, but that's it. . . Any
>>thoughts on fixes? Supposedly all these items worked before the prior
>>HD crashed.
>>
>> Any ideas that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!!!
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> PS: I know that this is a repeat question. However, the response
>> that I had was to try to install the driver's from the utilites CD.
>> How hard would it be to open the casing to check the physical
>> connectors?
>>
>> Thanks again!!!
>
> I am on the run and can't look up the url, but Dell has a really
> good manual for taking these things apart in the documentation area of
> the support site.
>
> Did you download the current drivers from Dell? Most have been
> through a number of updates and that could be part of the problem. Is
> the BIOS up to date?
>
> You could also try the support forums on Dell for the I8200. There are
> some really sharp folks over there who are well versed in this
> particular model.
>
> I've got one and wish they had continued up dating this chassis as
> it is a great portable desktop.
>
> I presume you installed the sound drivers. I've read that it should
> work with the Windows ones, but mine never has. It has needed the ones
> from the Dell site.
>
> There are some connectors that apparently work loose for some
> folks, with luck maybe that or drivers will do the trick. Good luck,
> hope this helped a little.
>
>
> --
> Thomas M. Goethe
>
Related resources
Anonymous
November 30, 2010 2:43:34 PM

I know this thread is old but did you ever find a solution? I have the exact same problem...Dell Inspiron 8200, HD crashed, installed new one from an old old Acer laptop, reinstalled WinXP Pro, installed Dell's sound drivers, and no touchpad or internal speakers anymore. I can still use the headphone jack. What did you end up doing?
March 18, 2011 1:33:37 AM

Quote:
I know this thread is old but did you ever find a solution? I have the exact same problem...Dell Inspiron 8200, HD crashed, installed new one from an old old Acer laptop, reinstalled WinXP Pro, installed Dell's sound drivers, and no touchpad or internal speakers anymore. I can still use the headphone jack. What did you end up doing?


You take out the keyboard and there is an orange connection that commonly comes loose on Dell 8200's, which you can get too after keyboard removal. Remove all screws on the back side marked (k)eyboard to gain access.
!