2 computers

I want to have 2 computers one lap top (Wireless) and Desktop (Not wireless)
to be linked so I can have them both to use the same ISP internet broadband
connection at the same time. Can any one advice?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about computers

    "Jcass" <jcass1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I want to have 2 computers one lap top (Wireless) and Desktop (Not
    wireless)
    > to be linked so I can have them both to use the same ISP internet
    broadband
    > connection at the same time. Can any one advice?
    >
    > Thanks

    You have three basic options for sharing one TCP/IP address:

    1) You can buy a router/firewall with a built in switch such as the Linksys
    BEFSR41 Etherfast Cable/DSL Router...for around $70. This will connect all
    your PC's together as well as connect to the internet and share the one
    internet connection. This is a small device, quiet, cheap, and can be left
    on all the time. Each PC is independent of each other so either can be on or
    off without affecting the other. If you already have a hub or a switch, go
    for the Linksys BEFSR11 model for about $50.

    You can also get a router that has both wired switched ports and wireless
    capabilities such as the Linksys BEFSW411 Wireless-B Broadband Router. You
    will also need a wireless NIC / Adaptor for your PC/Laptop. This will free
    you from being physically connected to the router via Ethernet cables.

    2) Add a second Ethernet Card to the PC connected to the Cable Modem, and
    run proxy software...i.e. MS-ICS, Sysgate, WinGate, WinRoute, AnalogX, and
    some firewall software...i.e. ZoneAlarm or BlackICE. You can use a "cross
    over cable" to connect two PC's together...but a hub or switch would be
    better. A hub or a switch is a must for more than two PC's. This is option
    is cheap and easy but requires that the main "router PC" be on all the time,
    or at least on while you want internet access from the second PC.

    3) If you are up for the challenge, you can setup a Linux system to share
    your connection and provide proxy and firewall services. This requires a
    third PC and some Linux expertise. You will still need a hub or a switch to
    connect everything together.

    I would check out the following links for more info on options, products and
    reviews.

    http://www.linksys.com/configurator/config.asp

    http://www.linksys.com/products/whitepaper.asp

    http://www.linksys.com/edu/

    http://www.linksys.com/edu/homebig.asp

    http://www.speedguide.net

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com

    http://www.cablemodemhelp.com

    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net

    http://www.broadbandreports.com

    http://www.broadbandnuts.com

    "Jcass" <jcass1960@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > I want to have 2 computers one lap top (Wireless) and Desktop (Not
    > wireless) to be linked so I can have them both to use the same ISP
    > internet broadband connection at the same time. Can any one advice?

    1. Buy a WiFi Card for the Desktop and use ICS and Ad-hoc wireless to
    network the computers

    2. Buy and configure a wireless router (better choice)

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    Just purchase a wireless router such as a D-link DI-524 G band there are
    other brands that will do the same job

    Buy a wireless card for the Laptop. Try to get same brand as wireless router
    if possible get G band (better than B) Different brands may work but having
    the same brand make it easier to get help if you run into troubles getting
    them to work and you need support from a manufacturer.

    Connect Desktop PC directly to router follow directions for router install.
    Set up DHCP server

    Install wireless card in to laptop follow install directions to hook up to
    DHCP. Fairly straight forward.

    You may need to do some reading to set up security for your wireless.

    You should only need (1) Wireless router and (1) wireless card (1) NIC card
    in the desktop PC.

    I have currently 3 desktop Windows PC's and 1 Macintosh laptop connected to
    one wireless router. 2 of the PC's are hardwired with Cat 5 cables the 3rd
    is connected by wireless card and is upstairs an at the other end of the
    house.

    Good luck.

    Gary

    Jim Orfanakos" <jim@-nospam-orfanakos.com> wrote in message

    > "Jcass" <jcass1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I want to have 2 computers one lap top (Wireless) and Desktop (Not
    > wireless)
    > > to be linked so I can have them both to use the same ISP internet
    > broadband
    > > connection at the same time. Can any one advice?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > You have three basic options for sharing one TCP/IP address:
    >
    > 1) You can buy a router/firewall with a built in switch such as the
    Linksys
    > BEFSR41 Etherfast Cable/DSL Router...for around $70. This will connect all
    > your PC's together as well as connect to the internet and share the one
    > internet connection. This is a small device, quiet, cheap, and can be left
    > on all the time. Each PC is independent of each other so either can be on
    or
    > off without affecting the other. If you already have a hub or a switch, go
    > for the Linksys BEFSR11 model for about $50.
    >
    > You can also get a router that has both wired switched ports and wireless
    > capabilities such as the Linksys BEFSW411 Wireless-B Broadband Router. You
    > will also need a wireless NIC / Adaptor for your PC/Laptop. This will free
    > you from being physically connected to the router via Ethernet cables.
    >
    > 2) Add a second Ethernet Card to the PC connected to the Cable Modem, and
    > run proxy software...i.e. MS-ICS, Sysgate, WinGate, WinRoute, AnalogX, and
    > some firewall software...i.e. ZoneAlarm or BlackICE. You can use a "cross
    > over cable" to connect two PC's together...but a hub or switch would be
    > better. A hub or a switch is a must for more than two PC's. This is option
    > is cheap and easy but requires that the main "router PC" be on all the
    time,
    > or at least on while you want internet access from the second PC.
    >

    > 3) If you are up for the challenge, you can setup a Linux system to share
    > your connection and provide proxy and firewall services. This requires a
    > third PC and some Linux expertise. You will still need a hub or a switch
    > connect everything together.
    >

    > I would check out the following links for more info on options, products
    and
    > reviews.
    >
    > http://www.linksys.com/configurator/config.asp
    >
    > http://www.linksys.com/products/whitepaper.asp
    >
    > http://www.linksys.com/edu/
    >
    > http://www.linksys.com/edu/homebig.asp
    >
    > http://www.speedguide.net
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com
    >
    > http://www.cablemodemhelp.com
    >
    > http://cable-dsl.home.att.net
    >
    > http://www.broadbandreports.com
    >
    > http://www.broadbandnuts.com

Wireless Internet Service Providers Computers Internet Wireless Networking