2 computers

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 16, 2004 5:01:30 PM

I want to have 2 computers one lap top (Wireless) and Desktop (Not wireless)
to be linked so I can have them both to use the same ISP internet broadband
connection at the same time. Can any one advice?

Thanks

More about : computers

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 16, 2004 5:01:31 PM

"Jcass" <jcass1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to have 2 computers one lap top (Wireless) and Desktop (Not
wireless)
> to be linked so I can have them both to use the same ISP internet
broadband
> connection at the same time. Can any one advice?
>
> Thanks

You have three basic options for sharing one TCP/IP address:

1) You can buy a router/firewall with a built in switch such as the Linksys
BEFSR41 Etherfast Cable/DSL Router...for around $70. This will connect all
your PC's together as well as connect to the internet and share the one
internet connection. This is a small device, quiet, cheap, and can be left
on all the time. Each PC is independent of each other so either can be on or
off without affecting the other. If you already have a hub or a switch, go
for the Linksys BEFSR11 model for about $50.

You can also get a router that has both wired switched ports and wireless
capabilities such as the Linksys BEFSW411 Wireless-B Broadband Router. You
will also need a wireless NIC / Adaptor for your PC/Laptop. This will free
you from being physically connected to the router via Ethernet cables.

2) Add a second Ethernet Card to the PC connected to the Cable Modem, and
run proxy software...i.e. MS-ICS, Sysgate, WinGate, WinRoute, AnalogX, and
some firewall software...i.e. ZoneAlarm or BlackICE. You can use a "cross
over cable" to connect two PC's together...but a hub or switch would be
better. A hub or a switch is a must for more than two PC's. This is option
is cheap and easy but requires that the main "router PC" be on all the time,
or at least on while you want internet access from the second PC.

3) If you are up for the challenge, you can setup a Linux system to share
your connection and provide proxy and firewall services. This requires a
third PC and some Linux expertise. You will still need a hub or a switch to
connect everything together.

I would check out the following links for more info on options, products and
reviews.

http://www.linksys.com/configurator/config.asp

http://www.linksys.com/products/whitepaper.asp

http://www.linksys.com/edu/

http://www.linksys.com/edu/homebig.asp

http://www.speedguide.net

http://www.practicallynetworked.com

http://www.cablemodemhelp.com

http://cable-dsl.home.att.net

http://www.broadbandreports.com

http://www.broadbandnuts.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 16, 2004 5:38:41 PM

"Jcass" <jcass1960@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I want to have 2 computers one lap top (Wireless) and Desktop (Not
> wireless) to be linked so I can have them both to use the same ISP
> internet broadband connection at the same time. Can any one advice?

1. Buy a WiFi Card for the Desktop and use ICS and Ad-hoc wireless to
network the computers

2. Buy and configure a wireless router (better choice)

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless

Just purchase a wireless router such as a D-link DI-524 G band there are
other brands that will do the same job

Buy a wireless card for the Laptop. Try to get same brand as wireless router
if possible get G band (better than B) Different brands may work but having
the same brand make it easier to get help if you run into troubles getting
them to work and you need support from a manufacturer.

Connect Desktop PC directly to router follow directions for router install.
Set up DHCP server

Install wireless card in to laptop follow install directions to hook up to
DHCP. Fairly straight forward.

You may need to do some reading to set up security for your wireless.

You should only need (1) Wireless router and (1) wireless card (1) NIC card
in the desktop PC.

I have currently 3 desktop Windows PC's and 1 Macintosh laptop connected to
one wireless router. 2 of the PC's are hardwired with Cat 5 cables the 3rd
is connected by wireless card and is upstairs an at the other end of the
house.

Good luck.

Gary

!