Replacement Graphic Card Advice

WuHT

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2005
I am trying to upgrade the video card in my brother's computer
It is a dell dimension 8100 , 1.3ghz , 384 pc800 ram. I've never changed anything as it is stock, except install a bit more memory.
(i have no idea what my agp speed is, does anyone know how i can check ?) Currently i have a cruddy mx420 installed and i am looking for advice for practical videocard to replace the mx420 (unless i should overhaul everything but that cost too mcuh $$, but getting more memory, for starters is tough)

He plays warcraft frozen throne mostly, and i'm not sure if it is exactly a "demanding" game. Secondly, he plays on an LCD, so his max resolution is 1024x768 anyways .

So what is an ideal budget video card that fits the agp/volt consumption ?

I've read the buyer's guide, and it appears that the 9550 radeon128 m with 128bit sounds like a good deal for an upgrade..any other thoughts ? I don't plan to OC it so i hope i'm not wasting any potential.

G

Don't you have to check with DELL since you void the warranty for messing with components? And from what i've heard that's a decent mid level card there but not too sure about that RAM... :frown:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

cleeve

Illustrious
Yep, the 9550 128-bit is a good, cheap solution for you.

WuHT

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2005
Alright thanks for the advice. well the computer is almost 4 years old i think (one of the first p4's) so i guess the warranty is up anyways eh ?

cleeve

Illustrious
By the way, your AGP speed is 4x, but it'll take any AGP 8x card.

If at all possible, you should really upgrade that processor. It's definitely a bottleneck.

Not sure if you can on that dell, but you should look into it...

WuHT

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2005
Alright thanks a million for the advice then. I plan to get a new pc from scratch, as the dell is getting too old (not sure it's worth trying to upgarde it too much.

G

there ya go, go get 'em Tiger :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>