Problem installing Epson printer software

I am hoping someone has run across this problem, or knows of anything
I can try to overcome this problem.

I have just purchased an Epson Stylus 1280 Silver. I can't install
the drivers from the CD. Each attempt gives me the error "set up
cannot allocate working memory".

I have had no help from Epson, who told me to call Dell, who gave me
several things to try, but it still hasn't helped.

I have even booted up in safe mode to make sure nothing is loaded, and
get the same error. I have downloaded the most current driver for this
printer from the Epson site, and get the same exact error.

I noticed that even when I "X" out of the Windows auto detect alert,
it has tried to install drivers for this printer (which I have
deleted, but not easily, at least for me :).

I tried installing using the Windows installer, and while it installed
enough to allow me to try to use the printer, I don't get all the
printer options. While trying to uninstall these drivers, I get the
can't allocate error again.

I was able to remove the printer and apparently uninstall the drivers
with the printer trouble shooting wizard.

I have seen where people have posted here with this problem, but
evidently getting an updated driver helped them, but this has not
worked for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Byte

Did the Epson printer come with a quick install brochure? First of all, DO NOT
connect the printer to the PC. Install the accompanying software and during
the installation it will tell you when to connect the printer.
Uninstall & reinstall Printer
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.