Replacement LCD Screen Brightness Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinpanic3

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Hello, a few months ago I replaced the LCD screen on my Lenovo ideapad u460 and the new screen works fine, however I am only able to set the backlight brightness to two different settings. After a fresh install of Windows 7 on a new hdd I still have this problem. I'm not sure if there is something wring with the OEM screen or if it has something to do with Windows. One important thing to note is that while the laptop is booting up I am able to adjust the brightness using the Fn Up combination and sure enough it goes through the normal brightness levels, but as soon as Windows boots up I am stuck with only the two settings again. I haven't been able to find much information on this problem and if anyone may have any idea as to what might be causing it or how to fix it, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Solution
I changed the video chipset on my Alienware and noticed that the Windows 7 brightness settings no longer worked.

the settings inside the Nvidia driver did work, like the guy above me posted, but the 'brightness' quality does seem the same.

Could be because the screen isn't correctly recognized by the motherboard BIOS or power control settings (like the ones for sleep or power savings mode) and since it doesn't its still using the settings its at before the swap (which is what happened to me)

Dry

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I changed the video chipset on my Alienware and noticed that the Windows 7 brightness settings no longer worked.

the settings inside the Nvidia driver did work, like the guy above me posted, but the 'brightness' quality does seem the same.

Could be because the screen isn't correctly recognized by the motherboard BIOS or power control settings (like the ones for sleep or power savings mode) and since it doesn't its still using the settings its at before the swap (which is what happened to me)

Dry

Solution

twinpanic3

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Thanks for the replies, but as far as the nvidia settings goes I actually don't have a graphics card and am using the integrated graphics with the Intel graphics drivers but just as the nvidia settings, Intel's settings also let me adjust the display settings including the brightness of the LCD but not the backlight brightness. As I am concerned with adjusting the backlight brightness this doesn't help much . As far as drivers go I installed all of the necessary drivers from Lenovo's website after I re-installed Windows. Concerning the power settings in the control panel, I am only able to adjust the slider to the two settings. This is obviously no big deal but it is annoying not being able to lower the brightness as much as I used to be able to and it drains the battery a lot quicker, but anyways thank you all for your suggestions.

twinpanic3

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Okay so I was able to fix the problem, and in a very odd way. I swapped out the working LCD panel with my old broken one and booted up the computer, sure enough I was still able to control the backlight brightness properly, although there was no image I was still able to see the brightness changing. So while the laptop was still powered on, I swapped the working LCD back in and now the brightness control is working properly :D.

If anyone is having a similar issue after replacing your LCD screen and you happen to still have the broken LCD panel, give this method a shot and [strike]remember to keep the laptop running when putting the working screen back in, just be careful[/strike]. Hope this helps!
*EDIT* Do not attempt this fix with the laptop running as it is potentially very dangerous, instead swap LCD's only after disconnecting all power sources including battery(Thanks Brett928S2 for advice).

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I appreciate it.

Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company....

Sorry but that VERY bad advice.... we change hundreds of screens a year...WITH NO POWER CONNECTED, because its a VERY good way to either blow the new screen or the graphics chip or card....

All the best Brett :)

auliaAhmad

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
I have exactly the same problem as you.
my previous lcd is broken
I got a new one
and here come the brightness problem, I just can turn it either minimum or maximum brightness which is both hurt my eyes in a certain condition.

the question is, do you really guarantee that your fix could help me too?
I tried all updating drivers, but nothing changes.

I have 2 options for me:
1. do your fix
2. roll back the driver of my monitor, but I don't know which driver is it

thanks for your attention, I hope TWINPANIC3 and the other could help me. thank you so much.

mrdimitriss

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

Like DryCreamer said "Could be because the screen isn't correctly recognized by the motherboard BIOS" and that is the solution for me! Just a BIOS upgrade! Now the backlight brightness is working like before again!

shaltzer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Hi, after using this method, when you reboot the laptop, is the brightness control still working ?

Update:
I've tried it, it doesn't work. After hot swapped the panel, the new panel doesn't show any light at all. After rebooted the laptop, the new panel works fine but the brightness control is still not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.