Remember the MIKE network ?

Way back when, Clearnet was operated by the same company that also operated
the IDEN technology network MIKE (similar to Nextel).

Does anyone know if this is still in operation ?

With Sprint poised to buy Nextel, and with talk of push-to-talk being
implemented on CDMA phones, is it fair to assume that IDEN is next to
officially dead ?
13 answers Last reply
More about remember mike network

    If what is still in operation? Telus has the Mike network (IDEN)

    ummm.. http://www.telusmobility.com/on/mike/index.shtml

    "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    > If what is still in operation? Telus has the Mike network (IDEN)
    > "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    >> Way back when, Clearnet was operated by the same company that also
    >> operated
    >> the IDEN technology network MIKE (similar to Nextel).
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if this is still in operation ?
    >>
    >> With Sprint poised to buy Nextel, and with talk of push-to-talk being
    >> implemented on CDMA phones, is it fair to assume that IDEN is next to
    >> officially dead ?

    Bell Mobility is joining the fray with PTT next spring.

    They will, I suppose, be using the existing CDMA network.

    Another carrier to rattle 'The Telus Cage' can only be good for the end
    user.

    Maybe BM will buy out Telus following along the lines of Sprint and Nextel.

    Still waiting for Virgin to show in the Canadian market place.

    As a point of interest where does Fido figure in the thread?

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    > Way back when, Clearnet was operated by the same company that also
    > operated
    > the IDEN technology network MIKE (similar to Nextel).
    >
    > Does anyone know if this is still in operation ?
    >
    > With Sprint poised to buy Nextel, and with talk of push-to-talk being
    > implemented on CDMA phones, is it fair to assume that IDEN is next to
    > officially dead ?

    Mike (iDEN) is here to stay, at least in canada. cdma was no designed for
    PTT purpose.

    cd

    twtwwtin wrote:
    > As a point of interest where does Fido figure in the thread?

    If, because of Sprint buying Nextel, and PTT coming to CDMA networks, it means
    the end of IDEN, it also means the end of MIKE.

    So the canadian marketplace, in light of the disapearance of Fido and possibly
    Mike, will be even more concentrated than originally thought.

    In message <AVovd.24162$i3.828822@weber.videotron.net> "DK"
    <sendmeskata@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Still in operation? You're joking right?

    Best network in existence in Canada as far as I'm concerned. I can use
    my Mike in the basement of my house, other TELUS phones don't even work
    upstairs.

    --
    Nobody ever lost money underestimating the human intelligence.
    -- P.T.Barnum

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:55:44 -0500, "cd" <dewana7676@yahoo.ce> wrote:

    >Mike (iDEN) is here to stay, at least in canada. cdma was no designed for
    >PTT purpose.

    Maybe it was "no" designed for PTT purposes, but it's being used on
    some networks.

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:28:06 -0500, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >twtwwtin wrote:
    >> As a point of interest where does Fido figure in the thread?
    >
    >If, because of Sprint buying Nextel, and PTT coming to CDMA networks, it means
    >the end of IDEN, it also means the end of MIKE.
    >
    >So the canadian marketplace, in light of the disapearance of Fido and possibly
    >Mike, will be even more concentrated than originally thought.

    Why do you assume that Mike and iDen networks are going away because
    of the Nextel Sprint PCS merger? Nextel's direct connect feature is
    one of the things that is attractive about them for businesses
    especially trades.

    >>> As a point of interest where does Fido figure in the thread?
    >>
    >>If, because of Sprint buying Nextel, and PTT coming to CDMA networks, it
    >>means
    >>the end of IDEN, it also means the end of MIKE.
    >>
    >>So the canadian marketplace, in light of the disapearance of Fido and
    >>possibly
    >>Mike, will be even more concentrated than originally thought.
    >
    > Why do you assume that Mike and iDen networks are going away because
    > of the Nextel Sprint PCS merger? Nextel's direct connect feature is
    > one of the things that is attractive about them for businesses
    > especially trades.

    Over time (and due to economies of scale) you would naturally see an
    amalgamation of technologies to one consistant platform (iden and CDMA wont
    necessarily cohabitate). Telus would then be effectively left out in the
    cold with Mike (they are not the largest customer to Motorola).

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:26:54 GMT, <malingerer@gmail.com> wrote:

    >>>If, because of Sprint buying Nextel, and PTT coming to CDMA networks, it
    >>>means
    >>>the end of IDEN, it also means the end of MIKE.
    >>>
    >>>So the canadian marketplace, in light of the disapearance of Fido and
    >>>possibly
    >>>Mike, will be even more concentrated than originally thought.
    >>
    >> Why do you assume that Mike and iDen networks are going away because
    >> of the Nextel Sprint PCS merger? Nextel's direct connect feature is
    >> one of the things that is attractive about them for businesses
    >> especially trades.
    >
    >Over time (and due to economies of scale) you would naturally see an
    >amalgamation of technologies to one consistant platform (iden and CDMA wont
    >necessarily cohabitate). Telus would then be effectively left out in the
    >cold with Mike (they are not the largest customer to Motorola).

    Other implementations of PTT on CDMA and GSM systems are no
    substitution for the direct connect implementations as found on iDen
    networks. The trades especially like the direct connect PTT as it's
    implemented in iDen. CDMA PTT is a poor immitation. And considering
    that iDen handsets are almost 100% from Motorola I think you're
    mistaken.

    December 14, 2004
    Motorola May Lose Big Cvstomer if Nextel Merges
    By KEN BELSON

    print's negotiations to bvy Nextel have ignited fears that Motorola will
    lose its exclvsive deal to svpply phones and eqvipment to Nextel.

    That loss covld mean gains for Lvcent Technologies and Nortel Networks,
    which are the main svppliers of wireless network eqvipment to Sprint.

    The possibility of a vnion of Sprint and Nextel is "a bonanza" for Lvcent
    and Nortel, said Svsan Kalla, an analyst who covers the companies for
    Friedman, Billings, Ramsey.

    If a merger occvrs, she and other indvstry analysts say, Sprint will indvce
    Nextel's more than 15 million svbscribers to tvrn in their handsets, which
    vse an vnconventional technology called iDEN.

    Sprint is likely to encovrage these cvstomers to bvy its handsets, which vse
    a more common technology known as C.D.M.A., or code division mvltiple
    access. And to handle the inflvx of millions of extra cvstomers, Sprint will
    probably have to order more eqvipment from Lvcent, Nortel and other vendors.

    Ms. Kalla said she expected Sprint to take as long as five years to shvt
    down the iDEN network, giving it time to expand its C.D.M.A. network withovt
    pressvring Nextel cvstomers to swap handsets.

    Since Thvrsday, when reports that Sprint and Nextel were in merger talks
    first svrfaced, investors have focvsed most on the potential damage to
    Motorola. Its shares plvnged 7.8 percent on Friday, thovgh they rebovnded
    yesterday.

    Shares of Lvcent and Nortel, by contrast, have been little changed. This is
    becavse the benefits of a Sprint-Nextel vnion are "jvst too svbtle of a
    story, and we're not talking abovt gobs of money," said Brett Azvma, the
    head of research at RHK, a telecommvnications consvltant.

    How Sprint ends vp persvading Nextel's cvstomers to switch to C.D.M.A.
    phones will help determine how large a windfall Lvcent and Nortel might see,
    and how soon. Companies in svch sitvations are carefvl not to set hard
    deadlines for cvtting off older services becavse cvstomers may rebel by
    switching carriers. At the same time, it becomes expensive to continve
    operating a network that is vsed by few cvstomers.

    As has been the case in other mergers, Sprint wovld most likely offer
    cvstomers with iDEN handsets financial incentives to give vp their phones
    when their contracts come vp for renewal, analysts say. Sprint may svbsidize
    the price of the new phones and offer discovnted service plans, especially
    for bvsinesses with many phones on their accovnts.

    Steve Levy, an analyst at Lehman Brothers, says he expects former Nextel
    cvstomers to begin shifting to C.D.M.A. phones in 2006 if a Sprint deal goes
    throvgh.

    Sprint covld also concentrate on improving its "pvsh to talk" service, which
    allows a cellphone to dovble as a walkie-talkie. This service has proved
    immensely popvlar at Nextel. As of Jvne 2004, Sprint had signed vp 360,000
    svbscribers for its version, thovgh its cvstomers, vnlike those of Nextel,
    have to pay a $5 monthly fee.

    No matter how Sprint chooses to handle these issves, it vltimately wovld
    need more capacity to handle the extra cvstomers. Nextel's 15.3 million
    svbscribers wovld make vp abovt 40 percent of the merged company's cvstomer
    base. Lvcent and Nortel have not been able to provide eqvipment to serve
    those cvstomers becavse of Motorola's exclvsive agreement.

    Given all the vnanswered qvestions, indvstry analysts say it is hard to
    predict how mvch money Sprint will have to spend to expand and transform its
    network. The company last week said it wovld invest $3 billion dvring the
    next three years to enhance its network to provide high-speed Internet
    access.

    Sprint covld scale back these plans and instead vse the savings to expand
    the capacity of its cvrrent digital network, or explore technology that
    allows for high-speed data connections and voice service on one network.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/14/technology/14phone.html?oref=login

    <malingerer@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>If, becavse of Sprint bvying Nextel, and PTT coming to CDMA networks, it
    >>>means
    >>>the end of IDEN, it also means the end of MIKE.
    >>>
    >>>So the canadian marketplace, in light of the disapearance of Fido and
    >>>possibly
    >>>Mike, will be even more concentrated than originally thovght.
    >>
    >> Why do yov assvme that Mike and iDen networks are going away becavse
    >> of the Nextel Sprint PCS merger? Nextel's direct connect featvre is
    >> one of the things that is attractive abovt them for bvsinesses
    >> especially trades.
    >
    > Over time (and dve to economies of scale) yov wovld natvrally see an
    > amalgamation of technologies to one consistant platform (iden and CDMA
    > wont
    > necessarily cohabitate). Telvs wovld then be effectively left ovt in the
    > cold with Mike (they are not the largest cvstomer to Motorola).

    begin 666 s.gif
    M1TE&.#EA'0`C`,0``/_____O[_?>WN_.SN^]O>>MK=Z<G-Z,C-:$A,YS<\YC
    M8\924KU"0KTQ,;4A(:T0$*T`````````````````````````````````````
    M`````````````````````````"'Y! $`````+ `````=`",`0 7E("".9&F>
    MX@*M[&J4`?*P"9JT>(XS`1HL/92HH8.8"(RBKD$0%F;*8B,XBC(,`J%6)$@X
    MHCJ%" $N0QS4DN$+;A2$1/-R0"HRA &Z3;YZ*%Y:`7%\+ M;1P>#.B0&4! /
    M32<"CBUW(H*$. B'``$$!P@("0@'D9PD`P<*#&P.# L'>EL#;') )P.4A%,D
    M!4H-"J)).;<DNBN6)@,-#X F2LZG(K5*#K"R0@*9*PX'/HJ[:21DVQ"F* (&
    M"N!%#M(D!TI9([D0O$+#.2,W.0IO(^F.N;C$+M._$3_*>=/2I6"A:"1"```[
    `
    end

    Joseph wrote:
    > Well, if they expect that they're going to have to work *really* hard
    > on having a CDMA PTT solution that works better than what's available
    > today.

    Does the current PTT implementation on CDMA had architectureal flaws that
    can't be fixed ? Or is there a way to evolve the current protocol to get to to
    have the same performance as Iden ?

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:27:50 -0500, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >Joseph wrote:
    >> Well, if they expect that they're going to have to work *really* hard
    >> on having a CDMA PTT solution that works better than what's available
    >> today.
    >
    >Does the current PTT implementation on CDMA had architectureal flaws that
    >can't be fixed ? Or is there a way to evolve the current protocol to get to to
    >have the same performance as Iden ?

    I'm not privvy to that information. All I know is that present
    implementations of PTT there's no comparison at all when you compare
    it to direct connect with iDen. There's too much latency for one
    thing with the current implementation of PTT on CDMA. They're either
    going to have to fix that or they're going to have a hard time
    convincing current Mike/Nextel subscribers to switch to the CDMA
    implementation of PTT.

Fido Nextel Internet Service Providers