Closed

strange missing files on XP network shares

June 9, 2005 3:28:55 PM

I have a few XP Pro systems on a network setup as only a workgroup (no domain
servers). All are fully updated and patched.

If I drag/drop folders from machine 1 to machine 2, certain folders are
missing files. All copied folders are in My Documents on each machine and the
My Documents folders on each machine are actually individual disk drives (not
part of the C: drive).

On machine 2 I select all of a folder called "Humor" on machine 1. "Humor"
contains 220 files and 3 subfolders. When the copy is done the "Humor" folder
on machine 2 contains only 214 files and 3 sub folders.

Upon investigation I found the exact files that are missing and on machine 1
I can open them and rename them and they look fine. They are identical to the
other files in type and size but they are completely invisible to any machine
via a network share. I can see them only on machine 1.

If I zip them up and copy the zip file to another machine and then unzip
them, they look and work fine on any machine. Even weirder, if I select one
file and convert it from a .jpg to a .gif file then the other 2 hidden files
on machine 1 magically show-up on the view of this share from machine 2. If I
delete the .gif file on machine 1 then on machine 2 I can no longer see all 3
missing files. There are other .gif files in the same directory as well.

This is the behavior of some of the missing files from one of the 3
subdirectories. The other subdirectories exhibit the same weird behavior.

The problem seems to stem only from machine 1 but it's a real problem as I'm
trying to use tools like ViceVersa and DirSync to sync-up machines and these
tools, like Windows Explorer, keep missing these files.

Any ideas about this strange behavior?
June 9, 2011 2:21:03 AM

I have a web server running Windows 7 Ultimate, upgraded from Home Premium OEM, using anytime upgrade, but with a retail box key. The php directory on my web server contains 142 files. On my XP Pro laptop, I only see 114 in windows explorer, yet if I open notepad and navigate to the php directory on the server, then enter one of the file names that doesn't show in Explorer, it opens. It seems the client still has full access to all files, they just don't show up in explorer, and a trace using wireshark confirms that the server is not sending the names of these files which appear to be hidden. The only way I could solve this was to clean install ultimate with no upgrades, and it worked. I had to go back to my original setup (the ultimate upgraded from home) as I had performance issues with IIS under Windows 7 Service Pack 1. This seems to be an issue for quite a few people, but I haven't found any solutions that work yet?

I tried the disable8dot3namecreation registry setting on xp pro laptop, it was already set to 0.

Please note that using a windows 7 machine to connect to the web server across the network shows all files. I also tried using Open SUSE 11.4 Linux, and I could see less files than XP was able to, however on a cleanly installed, non upgraded windows 7 server, from xp or linux, all files appeared in directory listings.

Any other suggestions, or any one else have this problem?
June 11, 2011 12:17:03 PM

I found the solution to my problem regarding some files not showing up over network shares.

Avast Internet Security 5.0.889 and later are the culprit.

To solve this problem:

1. Download awsclear.exe from avast web site
2. Startup in safe mode and run it
3. Startup in normal mode and install avast internet security 5.0.594

Now all files show up over the network, to xp, linux, mac os x clients.

June 12, 2011 2:39:30 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish