ATI RADEON X800 XL Built By ATI (Baught on Ebay)

Forrest

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
I was looking around and couldn't find one until I started searching Ebay. The seller had mentioned that he had this X800 XL brand new, never been open etc. So I purchased it for $309.00 and just got it today. I have a couple of questions for anyone who has purchased the same thing.

1. Does the card come in an "anti-static" bag or did yours come in a hard plastic box?

2. On the plastic box where you open it did it look like it was glued shut? (near the opening there was a 2 inch length of what looks like hot glue.)

Beyond that everything looks like its where its suppose to be. All the retail wires and converters were in there. I can post pics but it'll take me about 15 mins, I have to use my cell phone.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Forrest on 03/05/05 02:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
It comes in a plastic box and there might have been hot glue but I didn't have a problem getting it open. I'm looking at it now and it looks more like it was pressed closed, but there could have been a bit of clear glue on part of the pressed part, maybe 3/4 of an inch of the 1.5 inch part.

<i><font color=red>"I think I'd rather let the <A HREF="http://www.daveclarke.com/game.cfm" target="_new">monkey</A> have its way with me" - Ksoth</font color=red></i>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Same thing DH basically said. Mine along with three other models of ATI cards have come in the plastic box. NO HOTGLUE HOWEVER! I suspect that the box has been open, however my plastic box will close without hotglue so im not sure why it would have that on it. I guess that you probably have handled the card, but if you havent put a light up close to it and look at the board from different angles. Fingerprints are really easy to see on the red surface.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

dhlucke

Polypheme
The x700Pro came in an anti-static bag.

<i><font color=red>"I think I'd rather let the <A HREF="http://www.daveclarke.com/game.cfm" target="_new">monkey</A> have its way with me" - Ksoth</font color=red></i>

Forrest

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
thanks guys, that sounds about right. Unfortunatly I've already handled it. But I can't see even my own finger prints (can't remember were I even touched it). Everything looks fine, I think it was an un-opened video card.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Mine didnt. It came in a plastic box. I still have it. In fact its back in the box it came in now. ATI hates you :lol:

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

dhlucke

Polypheme
I returned it today. I returned 2 PSU's and that GFX card.

<i><b><font color=red>"I think I'd rather let the monkey have its way with me" - Ksoth</font color=red></b></i>

Forrest

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Why did you guys return it? I baught it because I needed a PCIe card to test my new pc. All the parts except for the mother board are coming Monday. I ran out of money even with a $2,500 dollar spending limit.

I couldn't help myself, looking at CPU's I decided to go with a AMD 64 3800+ instead of the 3500+. That was just one of the pc parts I splurged on. Then I got two matching sticks of 1012mb Crucial RAM PC3200. I actually spent close to $2,600 if not more on the video card, case, PSU, CPU, Sound card, drives, monitor, ram, keyboard/mouse, and HD. I still need my mother board and a surge protector.

dhlucke

Polypheme
It's spelled BOUGHT. I returned the x700pro. The x800xl I'm keeping.

How did you manage to spend so much? Did you buy a 24" monitor?

<i><b><font color=red>"I think I'd rather let the monkey have its way with me" - Ksoth</font color=red></b></i>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I believe they're both correct. I've actually never seen spelt used though. The dictionary says it's "a past tense and a past participle of spell" but I don't know what the hell that means.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You returned it? How long did you have the card? Refund? What were you doing with 2 extra PSU's? I need to kow :lol: BTW, ATI still hates you :tongue:

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Spelt is of Latin Origin and we get it from Old English. Our ties to the word are mostly of British origin. A participles function is that of a noun, in this case it would be used as a descriptive way of showing that something has been completed. In English a past participle is used to form the perfect tense of the active voice.

No charge for that :eek:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Don't ever give me an english lesson again. I didn't understand any of it.

Why did I return the card? I didn't need it. I only had it for a week while I waited for the x800xl.

The PSU's I returned since one was a 20 pin just like the one I have and the other was a 24 pin but I figured out how to use my current PSU.

Forrest

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
I see.

In response to the amount of money I spent, no I didn't buy a 24". Here's the list of parts I BOUGHT... from newegg.com:

Antec Neopower 480w..................$126.00
AMD 64 3800+.........................$429.00
Crucial TWINX2048-3200...............$529.00
Samsung 3.5 OEM floppy drive...........$8.99
Western Digital 10,000RPM HD.........$181.00
Logitech LX700 keyboard/mouse.........$63.00
SB Audigy 2 ZS PCI....................$91.00
Arctic Silver thermapaste..............$7.59
Lian LiPC-V2000B Black...............$240.00
NEC 22" CRT FE2111-BK................$549.00
Plextor CDRW..........................$67.99
Total..............................$2,292.57

The exact total from newegg.com came out to be $2,390.33 with the shipping included in that figure. With shipping the video card cost was $322.00, so I guess its more like $2,700 +/-.

Forrest

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
why thank you. Its a huge leap from what I'm on right now. I've been checking PC parts for almost two years now and I've finally made the jump. I'm really excited about this, my parts will be in today!

Normally I wouln't have spent all that money but I'm going to keep the current heap together. I can't see a reason not to. Alot of the parts in this PC are becomeing out dated.

AMD 1900+ 1.6 GHz
EPOX K8HA+ (Could be upgraded to a 1.8 but I don't want to waste the time and money doing it)
1.5 gigs of Centon (crap ram)
7200RPM 78gig ATA HD
CD/DVD Read drive
CD-RW drive
Floppy (I never could get this to work)
ATI X800 PRO AGP Built By ATI
SAMSUNG SyncMaster 753DF
Logitech 5.1 surround speakers (Keeping for the new system)
Ethernet Card
Creative SB Live (This thing kind of sucks)
I have no idea what case this is.

A funny thing I noticed is that in the bios and also on pcpitstop.com it says theres another open ram slot but there is only three on the board. Somone else built this current pc for me. I can't really be sure what sound card it actually has but I know its a Creative SB Live card. This new PC will be the first PC I'll put together.

G

Cool, GL with it then man :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I bought all new stuff as well and spent around $1500, soon to be a bit more if I get speakers and the 24" Dell instead of this 20"er that I'll give to my brother. We'll see.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You think that you made a huge leap! Try going from a P3 550 "Thats 550Mhz" with 384MB of PC133 to a current system. I was in the habit of being able to take a shower and get dressed while my sytem was booting up :lol:

Forrest

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
thanks Wraithfire.

Before this system I was typing out papers on a 486 lol with windows 95 I think. It had space on the mainboard for 16GB of RAM LMAO and only had 4 GB! Imagine office space when they nuts on that fax machien, thats what happened at the target range.

I cannot begin to tell you how happy I was to get the current PC. When I say huge leap, I'm being optimistic about the upgrade. I just hope it will all seem worth the money. :)