"Run" command and naughty web addresses!!

When I hit the Start then Run button and then type in "//" I get a list of
websites that I have visited. Knowledge of my visits to some of those
websites would not sit well with my IT administrators. How do I get those
items deleted from that list?
1 answer Last reply
More about command naughty addresses

    Rick,

    IT department have many ways to track user's surfing behavior. RunMRU and
    Index.dat are not the only places where the traces are stored. They can
    track the browsing patterns of users from where they sit. So, don't surf the
    sites that are not approved in your organization.

    Because you asked, the entries under Run come from two different areas:

    1. Entries in the RunMRU registry location
    2. Visited web pages stored in the Internet Explorer's INDEX.DAT file

    The history of most recently used commands from the Run command on the Start
    menu are stored in the following registry location:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    Explorer \ RunMRU

    The RunMRU entries can be erased by by clearing the Recent documents list in
    the Start Menu and Taskbar Properties. See this KB for more information:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307875

    The entries that appear when you type something in the RUN box (but not
    normally displayed when you click the drop-down), comes from the Index.dat
    file that belongs to Internet Explorer. Using the Clear History button in
    Internet Options General tab will help. If not, you may try completely
    deleting the index.dat using the methods described in MS-MVP Mike Burgess'
    site: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    --
    Ramesh Srinivasan
    MS-MVP, Windows Shell

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "Rick with egg on his face" <Rickwitheggonhisface@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:F27A7A4C-4AFE-4477-A84B-61E7F8D0F270@microsoft.com...
    > When I hit the Start then Run button and then type in "//" I get a list of
    > websites that I have visited. Knowledge of my visits to some of those
    > websites would not sit well with my IT administrators. How do I get those
    > items deleted from that list?

Support Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP