Icedout

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2003
My friend has a rosewill 9800 pro on a compaq xp2400 system
at first it was working fine now he is getting lines in the screen or when he brings up a window and then closes it it leaves part of the window there.

Could it me memory on the card? or refresh rate on the card any suggestions would be helpful

windows xp when loading shows horizontial lines all over it.

Please help me help him.

Life is like a bolt of lighting...unless you make and impact you won't be noticed. And believe me if you kick that tiger in the a.s.s you better have a plan for its teeth.

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
Two thing I would suggest is to see if he has another monitor laying around and try swapping the monitor. If that doesn't work then he should try to find an extra video card if he, or a friend, has one and then swap that.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Looks like his screen does not refresh. Check refresh rates. Most recent monitors will support 85Hz without promlems (assuming he has a CRT monitor). Play with that first. If the monitor is old it may be the problem. I would not blame it on the graphics card just yet. Also see if his PC is clean (no viruses/spywares). I've seen flatscreens at work doing that (parts of images/windows left over on the screen after you close them). In some cases it had to do with PC being extremely slow with CPU load at 100% due to some malicious software running in the background. Cleaning up the system fixed this problem. In the above example there were no hardware problems.

But Robs1880 made a good suggestion. Use the good-old process of elimination to see if a component is to blame. Put in another card and see if the monitor still acts funny and vice versa.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Try booting into VGA mode (press F8 when windows boots up) This will load windows with standard VGA drivers so you can see if the problem goes away at a standard refresh rate.

But really I'd return that rosewill card and buy something that isnt crap. He probably went shopping for 9800Pros and bought the cheapest one he could find on newegg.

You get what you pay for.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV