Dell Color Laser quality

Al

OK, thgey have been out for a while and I am in the market.
I'm looking for a color laser for home-office use.
Some brochures, powerpoint printing and some photo's.
I have a dell laptop (co provided) and a home system that I am pretty
happy with.

I like the specs of the Samsung CLP-5xxn series because they have
duplexing and networking built in as well as 1200 dpi. I am unsure
about the reliability of them however.
The Dell lasers do not have the 1200 dpi or duplexing (without an
expensive upgrade), but may ne ok due to the service (I've always had
good luck with their service).

Any thoughts or suggestions on the above?

"Al" <alsamuelson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, thgey have been out for a while and I am in the market.
> I'm looking for a color laser for home-office use.
> Some brochures, powerpoint printing and some photo's.
> I have a dell laptop (co provided) and a home system that I am pretty
> happy with.
>
> I like the specs of the Samsung CLP-5xxn series because they have
> duplexing and networking built in as well as 1200 dpi. I am unsure
> about the reliability of them however.
> The Dell lasers do not have the 1200 dpi or duplexing (without an
> expensive upgrade), but may ne ok due to the service (I've always had
> good luck with their service).
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions on the above?

I'm a big fan of Samsung. I don't have their color laser, but do have the
little ML-1710 B&W laser. I seriously over use it -- around 3,500 pages a
month -- and it does a fantastic job.

I also have their home theatre system and the Samsung 213T monitor, which is
the best monitor in the size, in my opinion.

Dell will kill you on carts, as you can't get them anywhere else.

Tom

color laser printers are not photo printers (yet). they are really just
'business graphics' type printers.
the xerox phaser (wax, not toner) line of printers do have exceptional color
but don't produce realistic looking color photos. they also have almost no
waste (no toner to reclaim, no bulky cartridges that become landfill, etc).
other than xerox, i like the konica-minolta line of printers for their
overall value. unfortunately i have yet to see a review of the
home/personal range of color laser printers but this article speaks of the
next price point level which may provide some insight...
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,118804,pg,2,00.asp

"Al" <alsamuelson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, thgey have been out for a while and I am in the market.
> I'm looking for a color laser for home-office use.
> Some brochures, powerpoint printing and some photo's.
> I have a dell laptop (co provided) and a home system that I am pretty
> happy with.
>
> I like the specs of the Samsung CLP-5xxn series because they have
> duplexing and networking built in as well as 1200 dpi. I am unsure
> about the reliability of them however.
> The Dell lasers do not have the 1200 dpi or duplexing (without an
> expensive upgrade), but may ne ok due to the service (I've always had
> good luck with their service).
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions on the above?

Al

I realize that they are not photo, but I think it would work fine for
brochure type photos.
I typically go to Costco for prints.
Thanks for all the input so far. Keep it coming.

I purchased a Dell Color Laser two months ago. They were on sale for $350
so I also purchased the duplexor. I'm totally satisfied with the color
quality. It isn't photo level but that isn't why I bought it. I wanted it
for brochures, presentation graphics and duplex printing. The network setup
is a piece of cake. For the price ($650 total) it was the best value and
you can't beat the service.

hvstacey

"Al" <alsamuelson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, thgey have been out for a while and I am in the market.
> I'm looking for a color laser for home-office use.
> Some brochures, powerpoint printing and some photo's.
> I have a dell laptop (co provided) and a home system that I am pretty
> happy with.
>
> I like the specs of the Samsung CLP-5xxn series because they have
> duplexing and networking built in as well as 1200 dpi. I am unsure
> about the reliability of them however.
> The Dell lasers do not have the 1200 dpi or duplexing (without an
> expensive upgrade), but may ne ok due to the service (I've always had
> good luck with their service).
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions on the above?

Al

Which Dell did you get.
I was looking at the Dell 5100cn.
It's listed at $999, but they frequently have 20% sales to take it to
$799.
It also has a single pass engine for faster color printing.