xp upgrade over 98, trouble with word

I have recently upgraded a tower from 98 to xp. Before, word, excel &
powerpoint opened correctly, now it tries to install frontpage which I dont
have on the system. I can cancel the install and that will open the program
but why is this happening.

Can anyone help.

Thanks.

Upgrading your operating system has nothing to do with Microsoft Office
applications. Something else is causing the problem.

Did you reinstall or upgrade any Office applications?

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Danny Wilde" <DannyWilde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have recently upgraded a tower from 98 to xp. Before, word, excel &
> powerpoint opened correctly, now it tries to install frontpage which I
dont
> have on the system. I can cancel the install and that will open the
program
> but why is this happening.
>
> Can anyone help.
>
> Thanks.

Ted,

No, it was a pure xp upgrade.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Upgrading your operating system has nothing to do with Microsoft Office
> applications. Something else is causing the problem.
>
> Did you reinstall or upgrade any Office applications?
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "Danny Wilde" <DannyWilde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have recently upgraded a tower from 98 to xp. Before, word, excel &
> > powerpoint opened correctly, now it tries to install frontpage which I
> dont
> > have on the system. I can cancel the install and that will open the
> program
> > but why is this happening.
> >
> > Can anyone help.
> >
> > Thanks.

Hi Danny,

Not knowing which version of Office is involved, I would suggest doing
a repair install of Office.
If this doesn't fix the problem I would suggest asking folks in one of
the MS Office newsgroups.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Danny Wilde wrote:
> I have recently upgraded a tower from 98 to xp. Before,
> word, excel & powerpoint opened correctly, now it tries
> to install frontpage which I dont have on the system. I
> can cancel the install and that will open the program but
> why is this happening.
>
> Can anyone help.
>
> Thanks.

Bert,

It seems to be 2002, when I try to repair or uninstall it asks for MS office
xp professional disk. That is very strange as I only installed xp home.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Danny,
>
> Not knowing which version of Office is involved, I would suggest doing
> a repair install of Office.
> If this doesn't fix the problem I would suggest asking folks in one of
> the MS Office newsgroups.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Danny Wilde wrote:
> > I have recently upgraded a tower from 98 to xp. Before,
> > word, excel & powerpoint opened correctly, now it tries
> > to install frontpage which I dont have on the system. I
> > can cancel the install and that will open the program but
> > why is this happening.
> >
> > Can anyone help.
> >
> > Thanks.

Like I said, upgrading Windows has nothing to do with Microsoft Office
applications.

--

> Ted,
>
> No, it was a pure xp upgrade.
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
> > Upgrading your operating system has nothing to do with Microsoft Office
> > applications. Something else is causing the problem.
> >
> > Did you reinstall or upgrade any Office applications?
> >
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> > "You can do it if you try."
> >
> > "Danny Wilde" <DannyWilde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have recently upgraded a tower from 98 to xp. Before, word, excel &
> > > powerpoint opened correctly, now it tries to install frontpage which I
> > dont
> > > have on the system. I can cancel the install and that will open the
> > program
> > > but why is this happening.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

Hi Danny,

You are confusing the two. The operating system, Windows XP Home, and
Microsoft Office XP Professional.

Use these steps to perform a repair install.

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Double-click the icon for the Office XP program that you want to
update.
4. In the Microsoft Office XP Maintenance Mode dialog box, click
Repair Office and then click Next.
5. In the Reinstall/Repair Microsoft Office XP dialog box, click
Reinstall Office, and then click Finish.
6. When the repair process is finished, run the public update again.

--

Danny Wilde wrote:
> I have recently upgraded a tower from 98 to xp. Before, word, excel &
> powerpoint opened correctly, now it tries to install frontpage which I dont
> have on the system. I can cancel the install and that will open the program
> but why is this happening.
>
> Can anyone help.
>
> Thanks.

If you performed an in-place upgrade from an earlier edition of
Windows, and Office was already installed, you'll likely have to repair
or reinstall it, so it can add the necessary additional functions needed
for use on a multi-user OS. It may be sufficient to simply insert the
respective installation CD and select the "Detect and Repair" option.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm