BAW Poll: Who has homebrew equipment they use?

Bored at work today so I thought I'd ping the group and check if anyone
had any new homebrew stuff to share. It could be anything from a
monitor discharge tool to a processor emulator. I've got a 6-channel
(3+, 3-) power supply I put together a while back. I can post pics
later.

Sooo, who's got what?!?!!? :-D

- Craig
12 answers Last reply
More about poll homebrew equipment

    This sort of counts as equipment, since it's primary a test unit, but
    I'm in the process of finishing my JAMMA tester. It's basically a
    JAMMA cabinet that is only 8" x 6" x 5" (those dimensions include
    monitor, full JAMMA controls, speakers, power supply). Just about any
    JAMMA board will be bigger than the tester itself :-)

    --
    Mark Jenison

    Craig Yarbrough wrote:
    > Bored at work today so I thought I'd ping the group and check if anyone
    > had any new homebrew stuff to share. It could be anything from a
    > monitor discharge tool to a processor emulator. I've got a 6-channel
    > (3+, 3-) power supply I put together a while back. I can post pics
    > later.
    >
    > Sooo, who's got what?!?!!? :-D
    >
    > - Craig

    I have a Z80 decryption device. It will completely decrypt almost any
    z80 and even epoxy blocks if they act like an encrypted z80. It has a
    little trouble with Sega's NEC 8123 but it gets all the data encyrption
    and enough of the opcode that it can be completed. It takes 3 days to
    do an 8123.

    Dave

    Dang... I thought you meant homebrew as to who made their own beer. :)

    I did that years ago but sold off all my equipment.

    Bill

    > Bored at work today so I thought I'd ping the group and check if anyone
    > had any new homebrew stuff to share. It could be anything from a
    > monitor discharge tool to a processor emulator. I've got a 6-channel
    > (3+, 3-) power supply I put together a while back. I can post pics
    > later.
    >
    > Sooo, who's got what?!?!!? :-D
    >
    > - Craig

    Another reason SciFi chooses to film in Missouri (reference to earlier post
    somewhere out there). Who needs Roswell and Area51 when you've got a real
    life techo-whiz like Dave and his water-powered car engine, perpetual motion
    machine, and Eugene Jarvis cloning facility all in his basement.... ;-)

    "D Widel" <dwidel@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Z80 decryption device. It will completely decrypt almost any
    > z80 and even epoxy blocks if they act like an encrypted z80. It has a
    > little trouble with Sega's NEC 8123 but it gets all the data encyrption
    > and enough of the opcode that it can be completed. It takes 3 days to
    > do an 8123.
    >
    > Dave

    I just have that lowly monitor discharge tool.... although I recently
    upgraded it to have a connector on the end of the wire, thus allowing
    me to secure it to the fram via a screw.

    I have plans to build a portable jamma tester.... thinking small
    toolbox size.... but as of yet have not started on that yet.

    Well.. not to expose myself as an idiot or anything, but what is an
    "encrypted Z80"? Are you referring to encrypted ROMs attached to a
    Z80? I don't think there's anything "secret" about the uP itself!
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    The roms are encrypted yes, but the decryption circuitry is built into
    the z80. It has to be to do it right, otherwise you could just hook a
    fluke up to the z80 socket and read out the roms. So yes there is
    something different about these z80's, although I guess technically
    it's not a z80 :) This is common for Sega games, when I get time I
    plan on reproducing the sega custom z80's. I ran off some PCB's
    earlier just haven't programmed the CPLD. Here's a list I pulled out
    of MAME of encrypted z80's and their part numbers. It also decrypts
    epoxy blocks like jumpshot, pacman plus and shoot the bull that work
    like an encrypted z80 so you don't have to open up the epoxy.

    CPU Part # Game Comments
    ???-???? Buck Rogers unencrypted version available
    315-5010 Pengo unencrypted version available
    315-5013 Super Zaxxon used Zaxxon for known plaintext
    attack
    ???-???? Super Locomotive
    315-5018 Yamato
    315-5028 Sindbad Mystery
    315-5030 Up'n Down & unencrypted version available
    M120 Razzmatazz
    315-5033 Regulus unencrypted version available
    315-5041 M140 Mister Viking
    315-5048 SWAT used Bull Fight for k.p.a.
    315-5051 Flicky &
    Ninja Princess (bootleg)
    315-5061 Future Spy
    315-5064 Water Match used Mister Viking for k.p.a.
    315-5065 Bull Fight
    315-5069 Star Force game by Tehkan; same key as
    Super Locomotive
    ???-???? Spatter
    315-5093 Pitfall II
    315-5098 Ninja Princess unencrypted version available;
    same key as Up'n Down
    315-5102 Sega Ninja unencrypted version available
    315-5110 I'm Sorry used My Hero for k.p.a.
    315-5114 ?? pcb 834-5492 same key as Regulus
    315-5115 TeddyBoy Blues
    315-5132 My Hero
    315-5135 Heavy Metal &
    Wonder Boy (set 1a & 3; bootlegs?)
    ???-???? Lovely Cards

    315-5162 4D Warriors & used I'm Sorry for k.p.a.
    Rafflesia
    315-5177 Astro Flash &
    Wonder Boy (set 1)
    315-5178 Wonder Boy (set 2) unencrypted version available
    315-5179 Robo-Wrestle 2001 not decoded yet
    317-0005 Space Position not decoded yet
    317-0006/7 Gardia not decoded yet
    ???-???? Gardia bootleg not decoded yet

    317-5012 Ganbare Chinsan Ooshoubu MC-8123A
    317-0014 DakkoChan Jansoh
    317-0029 Block Gal NEC MC8123B 651 packaged like
    System16's 68000
    317-0030 Perfect Billiard
    317-0042 Opa Opa
    317-0043 Wonder Boy Monster Land
    317-0054 Shinobi (sound CPU) NEC MC8123B 651
    317-0057 Fantasy Zone 2
    317-0064 Ufo Senshi Yohko Chan
    Ninja Kid II sound program also seems to use this
    encryption

    317-5012 Ganbare Chinsan Ooshoubu NEC MC-8123A
    317-0014 DakkoChan Jansoh
    317-0029 Block Gal NEC MC-8123B 651
    317-0030 Perfect Billiard
    317-0042 Opa Opa
    317-0043 [3] Wonder Boy Monster Land
    317-0054 [2] Shinobi (sound CPU) NEC MC-8123B 652
    317-0057 Fantasy Zone 2
    317-0064 Ufo Senshi Yohko Chan
    317-0066 [1] Altered Beast (sound CPU)
    ??? [3] Ninja Kid II (sound CPU)
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I use a homemade test jig for testing _Pac Man_ and _Ms. Pac Man_
    motherboards on the bench. The speaker is from a boom box I fished out of
    the dumpster, and the joysticks are from the good ol' Atari 2600. Coin
    switches and self-test switches are salvaged from junked printers and stuff
    like that.

    I made another test jig for _Asteroids_ motherboards. It's just a small
    perf board with some pushbutton momentary switches to make the board think
    that coin switches and start buttons are connected. Also on the board are
    some LEDs to simulate the LEDs inside a coin op cabinet's start buttons. I
    rigged up a 9-pin connector so I can play the game on an X/Y oscilloscope
    using -- again -- an Atari 2600 joystick.

    (BTW -- It's best to use good-quality, powered PC speakers on an _Asteroids_
    motherboard; using a Radio Shack mini-amplifier won't give you the fidelity
    you need to hear the bump-bump-bump-bump background music.)

    Same thing with a _Galaga_ test jig harness. I can play that with an Atari
    joystick. More salvaged switches simulate coin switches and Player 1/Player
    2 start. Speaker salvaged from something or other.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I put pics of the power supply back up on my website. Check 'em out!

    - Craig

    http://home.cfl.rr.com/craigscorner/power_supply.html
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I built my own vacuum de-gasser for resins from a mason jar and a
    vacuum pump. I used to use it when I worked a lot with composites
    building R/C jet aircraft (fiberglass, carbon fiber, kevlar, ect). I
    also built a hot wire foam cutter that used plot templates so I could
    scale airfoils on the computer and produce 3D "correct to scale" foam
    blanks.

    All I've got arcade-wise pales in comparison- a basic test bench with a
    13" GO-7 and "sparky" the HV discharge tool.

    I didn't know Dave had a cloning facility in his basement, I'll ask to
    see that next time I stop by :-)

    Mike Doyle
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Homebrew:
    Galaga JAMMA adapter
    Pac JAMMA adapter (did two for the experience, now I buy em. Time is money.)
    JAMMA test rig. 1 stick, buttons for coin1, pstart1, sw1, sw2. speaker,
    switcher, iso. semi-portable.
    Composite primitives separator (lupine systems schem) seperates to h-v sync,
    pos and neg.
    various adapters to plug into the monitor iso
    pinout pcb's for medium res monitors, stuff like that.

    "Craig Yarbrough" <hyarbr01@harris.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    got some homebrew stuff that make a pretty good beer. :)
    "rcbullock@no_spam.cox.net" <rcbullock@no-spam.cox.net> wrote in message
    > Homebrew:
    > Galaga JAMMA adapter
    > Pac JAMMA adapter (did two for the experience, now I buy em. Time is
    money.)
    > JAMMA test rig. 1 stick, buttons for coin1, pstart1, sw1, sw2. speaker,
    > switcher, iso. semi-portable.
    > Composite primitives separator (lupine systems schem) seperates to h-v
    sync,
    > pos and neg.
    > various adapters to plug into the monitor iso
    > pinout pcb's for medium res monitors, stuff like that.
    >
    > "Craig Yarbrough" <hyarbr01@harris.com> wrote in message

Video Games